Author Topic: What is Blooming?  (Read 23437 times)

Online Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: What is Blooming?
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2017, 06:06:15 AM »
Plum tree is blooming here

1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 14, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »
A name can say a lot. Sometimes it's not just a means of identifying someone; it becomes an adjective or descriptive stereotype: the Fonz, Gilligan, Dumbo, Madonna, Elmer Fudd, Colonel Sanders, Harley Davidson, etc. Each illicits distinct images. Plants are that way, too. A example is the Spider Lily. It's also known as a Naked Lady, or a Hurricane Lily. It's that last nickname that sticks out so clearly this year. After the heavy rains associated with Harvey, the lilies have started making their annual, surprise appearance. Almost overnight, the bare bloomstalks sneak up on you and terminate in their amazing spider-like blooms. You have to look fast, though, because, like a cupcake sitting in a fat man's pantry, they disappear fast leaving only their ground hugging foliage behind. They're one of my favorite heirloom plants, and they're an automatic excuse to stop and turn around when I see their distinct burst of red color. Yep - they're showstopper in my book. in Orange, Texas.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:19 AM »
In southeast Texas, waiting for fall to show itself is a patient process. It doesn't arrive with any fanfare. A few of the trees change color, but it's subtle. Cooler temperatures? Don't hold your breath. The only dramatic cooldown you'll experience is if you lie down between the Oscar Mayer bologna and Kraft cheese slices in the Walmart deli section (Note: This is evidently frowned upon. What's up with that?) If you look carefully, though, fall is slipping in - and it's yellow. It shows itself in the many sunshine-hued wildflowers that beckon the pollinators to slow down and feast on the season ending pollen before winter arrives. These swamp sunflowers are an example. Accompanied by shorter days, they signal that cooler weather is on the way.....eventually. I just have to be patient.

Offline Sugarcityarts

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »
The only dramatic cooldown you'll experience is if you lie down between the Oscar Mayer bologna and Kraft cheese slices in the Walmart deli section (Note: This is evidently frowned upon. What's up with that?)

oh my - my husband wants to know why I'm choking on my tea.....couldn't be more true.  I'm a newbie - back to Acadiana after a 40 year absence.  I don't EVER recall it being this hot the middle of October....

I have a few things blooming in the new yard (lantana, roses) and some buds on other unfamiliar things - has been really dry here.  I'm so used to winding down the gardens this time of year having come from zone 5...but this year I'm going to plant a few rows of veg and plan my citrus tree purchases. 
from 5a to 9a : zone shock

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sugarcityarts!

Where in Zone 5 did you live?

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sugarcityarts. We are glad you are here and getting a good laugh at that post as we all did. It was 94 degrees here yesterday and even in zone 9, that's awfully hot for the middle of October but tonight we are supposed to get a real cool front. Also welcome back to zone 9.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Sugarcityarts

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Maggie 13 and Double B!  Thankfully it cooled off considerably today with a nice breeze.  Maggie we lived in the NW corner of Illinois about 40 miles east of the Mississippi.
Cut grass with the John Deere yesterday for only the second time in a month...I'd like more rain but I know to be careful what I wish for 😊
Catherine

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:28 PM »

Catherine I look forward to hearing more about your flower beds.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:08 AM »
To say that I'm simple minded is like saying Mount Everest is just another hill - it's a gross understatement. My appreciation of plants is reflected in that. I like bright colors and novelty. That's why I like Peruvian Purple Peppers. Of course, the alliteration and the fact that it's fun to say, helps. The purple hued leaves and stems accompanied by the multi-colored peppers give the impression of an oddball, Christmas tree. And, if you're one of those "interesting" individuals who's always wanted to fart flames while your mouth is on fire, you can nibble on the peppers, too. As for myself, other than a single, trial experience, I'll pass on that. I just like to pull up a chair and watch the grass grow while I admire the peppers' transition from purple to red. It's a beautiful thing 😀

Online Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
I believe these are called Rain Lillies, also some 4 o'clocks I have at my mailbox.  The lillies have bloomed steady the past week or so, about the best I remember them doing.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
all the pictures on this thread are so pretty.   :)   thanks for sharing them!

the only thing that is still blooming in my yard are the knock out roses in front of the house and the little white flowers on my pea plants.  we had a hard frost last night that pretty much killed off everything else in my yard. 

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Sugarcityarts

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »
I've got some garden mums blooming and there are fat buds and a few blooms on the azaleas. Lantana and a couple roses have blooms too. Just amazing to me to have anything green let alone bloom in late November