Author Topic: Irrigation pump questions  (Read 1100 times)

Offline allisb48

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Irrigation pump questions
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
Looking to expand the plastic mulch this year and with that irrigation. However with out water or electric near the new location I am questioning what I may need to look for in regards to pumping the water and possible injector for fertilizer. Any thoughts? I can bring water to the location but for now I have a small Wayne 12 volt pump that has done very well. I don't have a gravity system in place yet otherwise I would pump to that and fill that and let it run off that. The 12 volt pump I have is really only meant to run for short times. What I need is to pump for an couple three hrs every day. What is it that I am looking for? Anyone? Before I go to the big trouble of plastic and drip tape I need to get this figured out.

Here's the pump I have now.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352044_200352044

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
Re: Irrigation pump questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:09:26 PM »
Gravity will work into drip with a tank just sitting on a wagon. If you have any elevation at all it works great. How big an area are you trying to do?
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline allisb48

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
Not sure what your asking on "how big" but I'll try to answer. I have about 1/2 acre to work this into this year or some 12 to 15 rows 200'-250' long. The field is on a small slope but nothing that I can build up pressure on. I have two 55 gal spray tanks on a cart that I thought I'd bring the water in and pump off of 2-3 rows at a time ought to kill a night or two and give the plants plenty of water. However this pump needs to run like an hr or so, so I can get that water to the plants. Hope this helps.

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
You may have already found the pump you were asking about. If not you might look into a bilge pump at Wallmart or any marine dealer. They are cheap and you can get them with up to 1000 gph....if I recall correctly. Just hook the alligator clips onto a 12V battery and pump away. They pump all day in a boat bilge or live well and last a long time.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
Not sure what your asking on "how big" but I'll try to answer. I have about 1/2 acre to work this into this year or some 12 to 15 rows 200'-250' long. The field is on a small slope but nothing that I can build up pressure on. I have two 55 gal spray tanks on a cart that I thought I'd bring the water in and pump off of 2-3 rows at a time ought to kill a night or two and give the plants plenty of water. However this pump needs to run like an hr or so, so I can get that water to the plants. Hope this helps.
Set a tank on a wagon at the highest point. Drip will work on just 4ft elevation change. And I have an ejector that will work on .3gpm. When you live around Amish it becomes easy to solve problems of no power. They irrigate huge fields with gravity.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b