Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 370172 times)

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #2760 on: April 16, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Pocono----all look very healthy!! What do you use your calendula for???

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2761 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »
Woodchip----I am so impressed the description of  your "redneck" trellis. Yes, pics will be nice!!

hub finally remembered to snap a picture of my trellis.  there is rebar under the mop handles to keep it sturdy.  hopefully it will stay up once there is actually stuff growing on it.  :)

that is my super old peach tree in the background in front of the well house.  i peeked yesterday before the rain came and it looks like some of the flowers might actually have set fruit.  here's hoping!

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2762 on: April 16, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
pocono,

how much longer will you have to wait on the toms?  if it is much longer you might want to transplant them into some red cups.  i would fear the roots may get bound up if they get much bigger in those little cells.

the peppers look great!  what a wonderful deep green!  the beets you posted from last year are a good size!  congrats! 

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: April 16, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
WC...."redneck" trellis looks very professional!!

Online Texan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
I have never worried about potting up a tomato. Since I bury 6 times as much stem as rootball and that produces roots, it never seemed to be something to be concerned about. Am I wrong?  I have toms in 6 packs I seeded on Jan 1 that are 24 tall and flowering. They are spares and I will plant a few out this week to replace lost plants. I never had any issues doing this.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
set out six straight neck yellow squash---we now have a new farm supply just up the road with the old fashion peanut paddy. I thought perhaps Jewel might want one----she didn't so I ate it----while there I bought six really nice squash plants.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
I donned a  heavy jacket and a Polartec headband that covered my ears and braved a 20mph wind and 38 degrees in order to make sure my irrigation tubing had not blown all over the garden....or elsewhere. I have a word to describe this weather but am too polite to use it in a post!!!

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #2767 on: April 16, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
Pocono----all look very healthy!! What do you use your calendula for???
Thanks! I use the Calendula mainly just for looks. Along with a lot of Cosmos Marigolds and Sunflowers! I started planting flowers only a few years ago with the intentions of helping bees and pollinators but well I guess I kinda like them too! I know you can cook with Calendula flowers and leaves as well! Just never tried it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:35:38 PM by PoconoPits »

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #2768 on: April 16, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
pocono,

how much longer will you have to wait on the toms?  if it is much longer you might want to transplant them into some red cups.  i would fear the roots may get bound up if they get much bigger in those little cells.

the peppers look great!  what a wonderful deep green!  the beets you posted from last year are a good size!  congrats!

Thank you Woodchip! Those tomatoes have until about a week or so into may depending on how the weather feels. I know they are struggling but they are just gonna have to stay put I wont have room to transplant I am going to be completely maxed out by the time I start my beans and melons. They get like that every year though, as long as I keep them watered they survive and then bounce back once I plant them. One of these years I will nail the timing! The peppers I want to get as big as possible before I put them out.

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: April 16, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
Pocono....know that Calendula is good for the skin but have no idea how they incorporate it into creams,etc. I am like you--I put the flowers in as much for the looking at as I do for the other purposes!

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: April 17, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
I have never worried about potting up a tomato. Since I bury 6 times as much stem as rootball and that produces roots, it never seemed to be something to be concerned about. Am I wrong?  I have toms in 6 packs I seeded on Jan 1 that are 24 tall and flowering. They are spares and I will plant a few out this week to replace lost plants. I never had any issues doing this.

Nothing wrong with that, Just remove the leaves on the stem where you bury.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: April 17, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
pulled up a few onions for dinner

Monroe

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:47 PM »
I forgot to post this yesterday but I picked my first mess of bush snapbeans. Saving the to cook when some out of state friends show up on Friday. The beans are really putting on some flowers, I should have a good crop this year.
"gene"

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: April 18, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »
Monroe, I was wondering if I could do that last night.  I'm going to go ahead and pull a few of the bigger creoles and whites so that we can try them.  There are some the size of softballs but the stems have not fallen over yet.  I don't want to be impatient but I sure would like to eat some.  Additionally, I didn't want to pull the ones that are going to keep the best though too.  However, I bet we use them up quick anyways and buying onions by August.

Blue Lake green beans will need to be picked this weekend and probably a few of the leeks.  I bet I could find some potatoes too and make a leek and potato soup for Friday. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:07:48 AM by jimmiec »
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: April 18, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
jimmiec we start eating onions  from thumb size on up.   today I planted beans

Monroe

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »
If time is $$, I learned a very valuable lesson.  When experienced gardeners say beets must be thinned, THIN THEM!!!  I spent SIX HOURS wrestling beets out of two raised beds, Sunday, starting at high noon...

So, instead of doing the right thing, I let them grow close together, intending on "thinning as you go".  NOT!!!!  It was a tangled, jumbled mess!  Most of what should've been at least beautiful, tennis ball-size roots by now (seeds were sown in January), were not much larger than a ping-pong ball...So, I fiddled with untangling what I could, transplanting what I could to empty spaces, thinning out whatever didn't have a root ball by now, and trying not to break up the growing stems...a total mess.

My first bed had the ping-pong ball roots.  My second bed was an accident.  Seems I hadn't sown as many seeds as in the first bed, and I hadn't sown them as close.  'Cause, THESE roots were almost big as oranges!!! 

As I stood looking down at the beds, with my back feeling like it was about to break in two, I said to myself, "Self, you're gonna thin those beets next time, right?"  And, my self answered, "You got that right!!!"

So, then, on to cleaning all the tiny beetroots and all the beet greens, 'cause I was actually doing this for a very good friend and his wife who I wanted to have the best of my harvest.  Well, everything was double, triple, quadruple cleaned, but, by that time it was getting dark, and I had to make a trip. 

Got back home at 8:30p, and pulled out the water bath canner and all the jars, and canned beets until 1am Monday morning.  And, all the while I'm trying to slice up the tiny beets (cause they do shrink a bit after boiling and peeling), I'm thinking how EZ it would've been had I been working with ALL orange-sized roots!!!

But, it was a labor of love, and they were absolutely gorgeous, regardless of the size.

Yep.  That was a lotta $$ on those jars of beets.  And, they got a huge garbage bag of beet greens, too!

I've learned that lesson, forever....
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
Gymgirl----you are a good person to your friends. Definitely a labor of love. I always do exactly what everything says to do now, because in the past have suffered like you, when I failed to do so. Ha, live and learn!! Sometimes it is a very exhausting lesson, for sure!

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: April 18, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
Woke up this am and seen my garden area was white again☹️
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: April 18, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »
Gymgirl, I kind of like the ping pong size beets, just slightly bigger is better.  They are so tender. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2779 on: April 19, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
gymgirl.  you are a sweet lady for doing beets for your friends to enjoy  :)    i am sorry you had to work so hard at it. 

today i went out and started to pull some of my spinach plants.  i was out yesterday cutting some to use for dinner and i noticed a few that were just starting to form flowers.  it was 80 here during the week and it must have set them off.    i cut some, put it into baggies and sent some in to school with my little one for her teacher.  the rest i will wash and freeze.

the kiddo was very excited because she found a little green strawberry on the plant.  she said she will check every day to see if she can eat it yet.  lol.