Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Happy Hour / Re: Tonight's gospel song
« Last post by crazyhorse on Today at 01:41:15 AM »
Mrs Rabbit , thank you for posting that beautiful song.

She can sing.
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by Gymgirl on July 15, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »
Yesterday, I planted the same 34 #Health Kick tomatoes seeds as Double B did.  I'm shadowing him, LOL!

Also sowed #Gretel and #Fairy Tale eggplants.

Got out and watered the swooning pepper plants at 6:30 this morning, for a whole hour...

They looked much better this evening.
« Last post by bigboberta on July 15, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
Finished shelling butter peas, ended up with 4 lb 3 oz of shelled. Had a lot of bug damage about 1 lb. 

Bob
General Discussion / Re: OKRA
« Last post by PawPaw gene on July 15, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
Will do Curt.  Today I saw my first okra flower, can't wait to start cutting.
"gene"
General Discussion / Re: Growing sweet corn
« Last post by crash56 on July 15, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
when i see the first silk 14 days...give or take

tony
« Last post by Double B on July 15, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
Planted thirtyfour "health kick" tomato seeds this morning. I hope to get about half of them into viable plants for the fall.

I had a funeral to go to this afternoon and didn't get to do much the rest of the day. My best friend passed away from ALS and it happened even sooner than we expected. What a horrible disease.

It is supposed to dry out this week and there is lots of grass to cut, hay to bale and garden to tend to.
« Last post by Double B on July 15, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »
The silks will turn brown when the corn is mature. Don't wait until they dry out or you'll loose the sugar in it. When it gets close, use your thumbnail and split the shuck open and peek at it. The first photo attached will show you its nearly ready. These were a couple of test ears that I picked and they were not as sweet nor were the kernels filled out properly. The second pic shows you what I consider to be perfect as the taste was spectacular. One other thing that I'll mention is getting the field heat out of the corn. I feel it's important to pick your corn early in the morning and get it shucked as soon as possible. The get it inside in the air conditioning and process quickly too. Just my $.02
« Last post by MikeM on July 15, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »
We got our first peaches off of our 3 year old tree but unfortunately every one had a worm of some kind next to the seed.
« Last post by Monroe on July 15, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
cutting okra---giving away tomatoes----I would like to say I picked this watermelon out of the garden but can't. Teresa's sister and BIL have a farm at Canton Tx. with a large melon patch. This is the third and largest one they've sent us.

Monroe
« Last post by bigboberta on July 15, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
Quote LSU AG Center "Corn usually matures 18 to 24 days after the tassels appear or 15 to 20 days after the first silks appear. Watch the corn closely, because the quality changes fast with the normal sweet varieties. Refrigerate or cook immediately after harvesting."I always follow these times by checking like Mike M said and this is the 1st year I went over by 2 days.

Bob

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10