Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 218838 times)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #2440 on: November 13, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
Brent,

Ahma just come and buy my onions from you!  :-*

I should have some left to share with you, Linda. Will you have room to grow some?

jimmiec,
Yours look fantastic!! I wish you well with them. The hurricane and subsequent flood wiped out my garden and it was so good to get back in there today and work some soil up. Man, dirt never smelled so good ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 13, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
Brent,
You're a sweetie, LOL!  Unfortunately, I won't have room to grow them, which is why I'll come buy some 'a yours!

I'll have as many collards, beets and carrots as I can fit into all the available growing spaces, from Thanksgiving through next March.  These crops are what I plan on canning.

Hugs!  LMK when the onions are ready, LOL!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 13, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »
    I picked my first mess of collard greens of the season. started the seeds in August, transplanted into garden in October.  I have 2 rows 28ft. long.  should make enough all winter and spring.
Mulch It

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
hey double b, the onion starts look great! 

whitestrout,  congrats on your first picking of greens.  it is always fun when you finally get to pick some after waiting and tending them.  enjoy!

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 14, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
Ordered my Dixondale onions this morning. I got with four of my neighbors who garden and ordered a Case (30 bunches) and received free Fex Ex shipping with the order. We ordered Texas Legends, Yellow Granex and Southern Bell Reds (purple onions). I am going to fire up the tractor and till up some rows and like Champs, I am going to try and get some cotton seed meal and fertilizer down for some new potatoes as soon as I can get them. Probably the first of January.
BB, the ccottonseed meal is a miracle drug for plants, ain't it?.....i just ordered 50# of fish bone meal last night,too, to use on tomatoes,peppers,cukes,etc......
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:47:31 AM by 2010 National Champs »

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
^ At your guys recommendation, I'm trying out the cottonseed meal this fall at time of planting.  I bought a 50 lb sack for pretty cheaper.   Additionally, mixing in some potash, blood meal, and bone meal.  Also a new process, mixed in alpha meal and perlite into the beds when broadforked and reshaped.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (5th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
Absolutely nothing.  I probably need to cut a few broccoli heads tomorrow. But the Kale is full grown and probably more than we need.  We'll freeze some I'm sure.  The cabbages are making good heads and aren't ready yet.  Collards are being picked as needed. The plants are mature and we are getting a little rain so I have stopped feeding.

I only have four broccoli plants.  I thought I was buying 12.  Somebody at the nursery put some cabbage plants in the two six packs of broccoli that I bought.  So now instead of 12 cabbages we have 20.  Oh well, we do like cabbage....

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 15, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
Mater,
If you have a dehydrator, you can dry out the kale leaves, then put it through a spice grinder to make a powder you can sprinkle on soups, stews, salads, eggs, and put into your green smoothies. 

No nutrients lost on MY watch!  :-* :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 16, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
Picked 543 Orange Copenhagens today................   

Woo Hoooo    ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 16, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »
That makes a lil over 1300 peppers so far ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 17, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
Planted 600 onions today. Texas Legends, Southern Bell Reds, and Yellow Granex.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 17, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
Froze my arse off!!!
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 17, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
Froze my arse off!!!

It was 83 degrees here today but the temps should drop twenty degrees or so in the next day or so.

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 18, 2017, 04:14:06 AM »
29F outside, Heatwave lol. I'm a gonna go pick some icicles for lunch 😐
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline GarlicFarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 18, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
     Going out to plant 7000 cloves of garlic, mostly German Red.  Temp is 37 degrees with rain turning to snow this evening.  Hope to plant more next week before were snowed in till Spring.

Randy Holdredge

Offline Texan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 19, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
Started soil prep on Friday and finished up planting 400 of onions today. It felt good to be out in the dirt for a bit before winter sets on us. Will follow with straw mulch and drip tape in two weeks once they are established.

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: November 20, 2017, 07:45:30 AM »
BB, what a nice looking bed of onions.  The Dixondale's plants look like a nice size.  I sure would like to go over there to do a tour or something and see how they grow their starts, sorting, and packaging. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (5th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
BB, what a nice looking bed of onions.  The Dixondale's plants look like a nice size.  I sure would like to go over there to do a tour or something and see how they grow their starts, sorting, and packaging.

You can watch from the comfort of home.

Planting seeds, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFfh19K398

Ready to harvest, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_1NDxpdbMI

Harvesting, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7HIn7hTFQ

Preplant Fertilizing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iekZwwrYXYo

Weed Control, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPBlaSzq9Q

They also are the biggest cantaloupe producer in Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sqg3NzC6FI
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:52:39 AM by Ragun Gardener »

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
Double B that is a nice looking row of onions!  You and Texan have inspired me to get some in the ground.  Just ordered some from Dixondale and hope it's not too late to get them planted.  There's only one way to find out.

Rajun - thanks for the video links.  They certainly have a good operation going there.

Boo - what will you do with all those peppers?

Harvested my one and only Daikon Radish and some tender greens for dinner.

Offline Jason A

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
Well a pretty busy weekend here on our farm. Thursday night we picked up a tom and two hen heritage breed turkeys - Bourbon Reds. Continue to enjoy the harvest from our fall garden. Planted more spinach, radishes and other cool weather crops.