Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fruit Trees / Re: Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B
« Last post by OrangeTxn on Today at 06:59:13 AM »
Dwight,

Same song, second verse, here.  I rooted a Celeste fig cutting, then put it in the ground last Spring.  The tree is roughly 4 ft tall, and it's loaded with small, green figs.  Only one has ripened so far, and it was pretty tasty. 

Maybe Gene will provide some insight.  He's got a lot of experience with figs.

Fruit Trees / Re: Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B
« Last post by Mr. Scruffy on Today at 05:34:30 AM »
Went all summer without a fig. got one last weekend. Didn't think it would be any good but surprisingly, it was. Same kind of scenario; just an old tree that I broke a limb off of and stuck in a pot, then transplanted a couple of years ago. I think our weather down here may be the reason. Don't have an answer for you though.
Fruit Trees / Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B
« Last post by Dwight Hebert on October 16, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
My fig tree is still putting on new growth and figs. Most are way too small to ripen before first frost. I'm getting 5 or 6 ripe figs a week but there must be 200-300 green figs ranging from pea size to full size on the tree.

Is this normal for this time of year? Is there any way to insure that I get maximum ripe figs before the first frost like pinching new growth or new figs?

I grew this plant from a cutting I took from a sickly 10 or 15 year old tree that never got over 5 ft tall. Stuck the cutting in a soil filled 18 gal. tote in 2015.  Planted it in the ground in May and it's about 6 ft tall and it's full of leaves and new growth.
General Discussion / Re: NO LUCK
« Last post by jimmiec on October 16, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
LakeRat, love my broadfork.  I do something similar: hoe (Hooke 'n Crooke), add amendments (perlite, organic fertilizer, cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal, bone meal, etc.), broadfork, and smooth with garden rake.  Sometimes I have to shovel the soil from the walkway back up into the bed, no sides on my beds.  Using the broadfork is a good work out.
« Last post by LakeRat1 on October 16, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
spchance, a couple things about growing carrots, U need well fertilized soil, & very lose down about a ft. deep, Carrots don't like packed hard soil, I use a Broadfork to loosen the soil, U also have to keep the seed moist until the sprout, not just water every now and then, If it drys out U will lose the ones that lose contact with the moisture 

The Broadfork is very handy working up raised beds, I can do a 4 x 16 ft. bed in 15 min. its 20 in. wide, i stay about 6 in. from the outside and take about a 5 or 6 in. bite each time, once U mash it down then pull back on the handles, about 2 or 3 ft. them to the next bit, goes very fast, after U have done both sides, Just rack it off and plant, If i plan to add fertilizer, I add it before using the Fork, this gets some of the Fertilizer down into the bed, Good Luck with Your Carrots

Rat

another handy thing when trying to plant small seed into beds is  Hand Seeder Called a Vibrating Hand Seeder, $ 6.95 Park Seed, once U get the hang of it, U can plant small seed with out have to do much thinning     
« Last post by spchance on October 16, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
sounds like I need to try the raised bed method for carrots and beets.
one thing for sure, I didn't water them enough when I planted.
« Last post by LakeRat1 on October 16, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
Being I grow all my stuff in raised beds, my longest drip tape is 16 ft. when not in use, i just unsnap them from the header, and lay them next to the bed in the walkway, sometimes i do start things lake Broccoli, and Cabbage, other times I just plant 5 or so seed in each spot i want a plant, as they come up i keep thinning, keeping the best, until I am down to the 1 plant that will grow in that spot, drip tape gets them up and going, as for Mustard & Turnips, I plant them in big patches so I can Share with anyone that come by and need a mess

Rat

I love a pot of Mustard Greens & some Hotwater Cornbread !!
« Last post by jimmiec on October 16, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
Yep, like Daniel and other said, that is why I transplant just about everything.  I get great germination in trays and easy to keep them moist.  I just spray them until they germinate and then water from below when the trays are light.  Really would like a germination chamber to be even lazier/less worry.  Additionally, I'm not using up space to germinate in the garden , which is a confined area.  For example, I had nice size broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage plants ready to transplant when I took out the melons.  Nice size plants of greens (mustard, collard, kale) went in where there used to be okra.  Now I'm getting more greens and cabbage, as well as the beets carrots, turnips, and radishes, ready for when I take out the peppers.  Then, I will have lettuce ready for when I take out the eggplants and tomatoes or plant among them and cut the eggplants and pull the tomatoes later.  I need to get something ready for when I take out the corn in November.

This will actually be the first year I transplant the lettuce.  The last couple years I just plant the seeds in the garden but it makes a mess (plants too dense) and hard to pick, unless I get one of the electric lettuce cutters.  I like the idea of transplanting the lettuce and getting them spaced out just enough to easily pick the leaves of the plants.  So we shall see.

Green beans I still plant the seeds in the ground.  Green beans are so easy to germinate and a nice crop.

However, I can still get down on my hands and knees to transplant.  My soil is just starting to be nice and soft.  It feels good crawling in the garden.  I was thinking of building a transplant cart to kneel on but can't find a picture right now.  I use to have chair but it has just sat to the side this year.  This may have to change in the coming years and have to plant in the ground with drip tape.  Drip tape just gets in my way when prepping the beds.  This year I have really liked the wobbler sprinklers.
General Discussion / Re: What's the weather like in your area ?
« Last post by Rabbitproof on October 16, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
Will be 42 tomorrow night and 37 is the low for Sunday!! Not liking that!! But our weather here is very back and forth in the Fall so hopefully there will be some  shorts and flip flop wearing days still to come for awhile.
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by Rabbitproof on October 16, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
More weeding--will be glad to get new paper and straw down to end that. Spread manure/compost on all bare ground...which is all but my mustard green patch. Got done before the rain came, thank heavens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10