Author Topic: Lets talk Mowers  (Read 21423 times)

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk Mowers
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:21 PM »
Husqvarna GT52XLS is what I bought last year. I am pleased so far. It takes 21/2 to 3 hours to mow my fenced in 2 acres. I have my home, other structures and some trees to mow around. Sometimes, I mow outside of the fencing in the pasture sides. The mower has the Kohler 26 hp engine and a Fabricated mower deck. The grass makeup is Coastal Bermuda, Bahia, St. Augustine and weeds. No mater what I have mowed with for the last 43 years, one thing has held true, the sand and grass, eats blades up. I looked at the Zero turns but did not feel comfortable getting on and off because of the problems I was having with my legs. My neighbor bought a 5' cut Gravely last year. He paid a lot more for that machine and it doesn't cut any better or faster than mine and his grass is as mine when it comes to makeup.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
I'm reminded of the old man who bought his very first riding mower. He was bragging about how fast it would cut, I cut my whole place in less than 2 hours he says. It used to take the wife all day.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
I'm reminded of the old man who bought his very first riding mower. He was bragging about how fast it would cut, I cut my whole place in less than 2 hours he says. It used to take the wife all day.
;D ;D ;D
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2016, 09:19:46 PM »
I took a few pics and Mudhog you're right on those plastic rust makers. This is after mowing twice but I must say that the grass was longer than normal because of the rain and I couldn't mow.

The only thing I don't like is the wider back tires won't let you get as close as I want to without rubbing on stuff. I might have to get a skinnier tire and rim on the left side to fix that. The other problem is the foot pedal to adjust the cutting height, I mow in flip flops and it sticks out too far and it's right where my foot sits and it bothers me, I might have to mow it off and weld it on the other side to make more foot room. I will say that it cuts like a dream and runs faster than advertised. The Kawasaki engine also burns less gas than the JD, Cub Cadet and the Ariens. 

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »
Blow Blow Blow with a leaf blower and keep the top of the deck clean like all the commercial lawn care guys and your belts will last a good while longer ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
Nice looking ride you got there. Those wide tires are helping to disperse the weight of the machine. Just like a tractor in the garden. If you go thinner, the more weight per square inch is being put to the ground. If you mow the same track around the edges and obstacles, it will start to leave ruts. Vary the direction that you cut each week to help with this. Front to back, side to side, and diagonal. You get the idea. I would stick with the tires and wheels that are on it. That one is probably heavier than your past mower. In the end it is your mower, make it how you think it would best serve you.

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Plus one on keeping the deck and belts clean. Like I said in an earlier post, the hydraulic fans as well.
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
Wide tires also help eliminate the grease spot when you turn.Technique in turning can help that too.
I take the plastic deflector off all my mowers. I know you will then get covered in grass but it will do a much better job of throwing the clipping out and not seeing windrows.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »
Ragun Gardener, congratulations on your purchase, I am a Scag man and that is my second choice, keep the air filter clean (the foam that is on the outside of the paper filter put a slight amount of oil on it and squeeze it) this will trap the dust and get an extra one, wash it in soap and water, not gas, let it dry good and next time swap them out, that will make your paper filter last longer and the oil changed often, sharpen the blades often they will last longer and won't transfer the heat to the bearings, remember dull blades makes resistance and resistance make heat, I always remove the guards off the deck and leave them off, that is the spot where the deck will fail, if you are fast enough to get off the more and get caught in the belt before it shuts down you are very fast, with a zero turn mow that value is in two parts, cut the mowing time in half so that means the mower will last twice as long and less time in the seat, the average home owner will put 50 hours a year on a mower, that machine there is good for about 1,500 before you should see any repairs, 30 years use, I have a Dixon one of the first hydraulic machine it is 39 years old and have to do some repairs, keep it out of the weather, good fuel and good oil I have several Scags like 5 of them and two of are Turf Tigers with the drive shaft, just will have to start working on the motor, give It time cut the grass and discharge the grass you can slip the belts and slip the electric clutch and will burn it out, take of it and it will take care of you, I got the tiger Cubs with 48' Cut , 2 Turf Tiger with the dive shaft, 61 cut and the magnum "Texas Edition" with Kubota  with the out front 72" deck that is being rebuilt now, going to sell on tiger cub with a 48" soon 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:46:31 PM by Joe In Dirt »
Joe-In-Dirt

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
A fellow stopped by this week in need of some tree work. All my trees are now mower friendly. I had him cut down one tree and had four stumps to grind. Today I mowed at top speed & never knocked my hat off on a low limb. It does bother me tho having someone doing tree work for me that I used to do for myself.

Monroe

woodchip gardener

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
we use an old craftsman lt3000 mower with a 42" cut path.  it has a great engine and pulled my yard cart full of bricks with no issues.  went out to mow this morning before the rain and the belt finally went.  from the look of it, it was prob the orig belt.  i am gonna youtube on how to fix it.  we have been using this mower weekly for the last 3 years to mow right around an acre (prob more than that in actual time use as i have to make multi passes in parts of the yard to get around my raised beds, etc).  other than basic maint we have not had any issue with the thing and the mower runs like a champ. 

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Well the finishing mower (Woods PRD 7200) finally came in and was delivered last week.  Yesterday I tried it out and was impressed.  I was running right at 3 MPH cutting a 6 ft. swat.  The height adjustment was right on as I couldnít tell where I had trimmed with the John Deere Zero Turn vs. the tractor.  Iím using the JD to cut the yard and under low hanging branches in the back.  It will take me about 1 hour longer to cut the 7 acres using both the mower and the tractor compared to just the mower.  Itís a lot smoother ride on the tractor so Iím going to try and cut as much as I can with it.

For those of you looking into buying a finishing mower for your tractor give a close look at the Woods brand.  They are expensive but designed and built like a tank.  My first one (RM 550) was about 20 years old and still cut like brand new.  My nephew will be using it for many years to come.   

Donald 
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
Donald had a Land Pride for years great mower, then I found a Bush Hog rear discharge 72" cut here in Lake Charles for 600.00 it was two years old and barn kept he said he used it once then had to move to a smaller place, the belts were froze in the pulleys, so I got it and change all the bearing in the spindles and new belt, was not sure if I would like that rear discharge but am pleased as long as I cut often, my neighbor just today gave his woods I had changed the bearing in one spindle last year then the other two started growling so he goes to the woods dealer and they wanted over 200.00 per spindle so he bought a new one and gave me his, gosh only four bearings and seals, not complaining for sure, the only thing on them have to lift the gear box with the cover to change the belt, so spare we have now, sure need them down here in the south with all the rain. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:17:01 PM by Joe In Dirt »
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline thebayougardener

• Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Joe Ö You made a fantastic deal on that Bush Hog brand mower.  I chose the commercial grade Woods mower which is pretty heavy duty.  Hope I donít have any bearings going out anytime soon because I will have to bring it to the dealer for repairs. 

You had me worried about changing the belt.  There was no need to lift the gear box on my RM550.  I checked my ownerís manual and this one is the same.  Run the belt below the drive pulley, lift it up and hook it on.  Then route the belt onto the other pulleys.

This is the first rear discharge mower Iíve owned.  So far I like it because I donít have to worry about my direction of travel and where the cut grass is being thrown.  Hadnít cut in really thick, tall stuff yet so the jury still out with the rear discharge.   

Donald

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
You'll like the rear discharge for the reason you mentioned. I had rear discharge on a regular pasture mower, can't remember the brand, it was on a Ford tractor I re conditioned & later sold. I wish the Bush Hog finish I have now was rear discharge.

Monroe

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »
Donald,

Now that you have been using the tractor and Woods finish mower for a while, what is your opinion of it vs. the John Deere zero turn you mowed with before?

We mow about four acres with a zero turn and it is handy to go around the trees and easy in the ditches but the seat wears on me and so does the dust and dirt. I guess there are good things and bad about any equipment.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline thebayougardener

• Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
Double B Ö I use both the JD Zero Turn (60Ē) and the Finishing Mower (72Ē) on the tractor.  I cut the yard and around buildings and trees with the JD and the more open areas with the tractor.  The JD is faster cutting because of the turns but like you say itís rough.  The tractor is a lot smoother riding with almost no dust or cut grass flying on you.  Iím cutting 7 acres (less the area where the house and buildings are on) in +/- 4 hours, depending on how many beer breaks I take.  If I didnít have so many obstacles to go around it would take a lot less time.

I have both set at the same height and canít tell where one stopped and the other started cutting.  If you decide to go with a finishing mower get the widest cut your tractor can handle. 

Donald 

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 08:03:40 PM »
Well I broke my belt on the Tator 3 point 71" finish mower last weekend.. i'll take some pic's on how the belt gets changed.. the gear box does need to get moved but with only removing 2 big nuts..
I also got a DC, powered weedeater that mounts on the Zero turn deck so you can weed eat and edge large areas from the comfort of the seat,, I've installed it but have yet to use it.. but i'll report back once tested..

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
I took a few pics and Mudhog you're right on those plastic rust makers. This is after mowing twice but I must say that the grass was longer than normal because of the rain and I couldn't mow.

The only thing I don't like is the wider back tires won't let you get as close as I want to without rubbing on stuff. I might have to get a skinnier tire and rim on the left side to fix that. The other problem is the foot pedal to adjust the cutting height, I mow in flip flops and it sticks out too far and it's right where my foot sits and it bothers me, I might have to mow it off and weld it on the other side to make more foot room. I will say that it cuts like a dream and runs faster than advertised. The Kawasaki engine also burns less gas than the JD, Cub Cadet and the Ariens. 

I had a breakdown after 2 years and I'm glad I bought the extended warranty. Southland Engine made it right with no hassles and fast service.

I was mowing and turned around when it started smoking from the tranny area and it quit pulling. Southland engine came and picked it up Monday, yesterday afternoon they called and said it will be delivered today and it just got here.

The cross bar between the two hydraulic motors(tranny) broke and that broke a few other bolts then the motor shifted and broke the belt. They think it wasn't tightened enough at the factory and the little movement eventually broke the crossbar.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 01:59:32 PM »
I just replaced a 50" Exmark that I had for 6 years. Put a hole in the block.  Loved the machine, but they now put an Exmark motor in them and they said that all parts had to be purchased at a Exmark dealer.

Replaced it with a Big Dog 54" and have cut my time mowing  by about 20 min (1hr 45 min) on my 2.5 acres.

I have a Wood's 60" finish mower, but it takes me about 4 hours to mow because of the 4 buildings and I have to finish with a push mower. The only time I use it is if the zero turn ls down.

Had a 40" JD riding mower, and it took me 4 hours also to cut the grass.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:04:32 PM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA