Author Topic: Lamb boxes for traveling.  (Read 98 times)

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Lamb boxes for traveling.
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Hey Mikem
I have been reading your lambing season posts, I love the pictures.  I am going to be buying a market lamb for my daughter to show this year and had a quick question.  I do not have a trailer to pull this lamb to the shows but have been told that a lot of people build lamb boxes that fit in the back of the truck.  I guess some these are insulated and can get very nice.  Do you have a opinion on doing something like this?  How would you go about building one if you were going to?  I have built dog boxes in the past but this would be a little different.
Thanks
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb boxes for traveling.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Most folks have lamb boxes in the back of their truck down here. They are typically made from angle iron and cattle panels. Some are more elaborate than others but if you have a roof over there head for shade and hay deep in the floor they work well. If you are transporting in rainy weather you can strap a tarp around three sides. Just make sure the door can be secured very well.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
I have seen some people even use dog kennels and they actually travel well.  They don't stress out very much if they are used to being handled.  Like was said they need to be kept in shade since they won't drink any water when they are under stress.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »
Good to know, thanks guys
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8