Author Topic: Rendering lard  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Arms319

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Rendering lard
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
I don't have much going on garden wise right now but I tried something yesterday that I've never done before. Rendering lard was pretty simple and really not much work at all. I started with 9 lbs of pork fat and ended up with 3 quarts of lard. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/WgOU5ATLzt8

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Rendering lard
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
You  and Huston made it look easy enough!

I agree with you about  knowing how the pigs were feed would be ideal!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Arms319

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »
It would be ideal, but I they are more than likely all locally raised and it still has to to much better than anything I can buy that is way over processed.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
Have you tried it yet? Just curious how it taste when frying food in it? We grew up with lard but haven't used it in many years.

I always enjoy your videos. Please keep making them.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
A very good video Arms.  As you started, I was thinking I'd like to do that but not with anything from the grocery store.  You answered that and I'd also trust a small locally supplied butcher shop.  I ground up some pork roasts a couple weeks ago with the idea of making some sausage for the first time and some pork patties for a quick fix.  It was also my first run with my new meat grinder.  I fried a patty and it's way too dry.  I sure was coveting your pig fat and wishing I had a good source.  I'd love to have some lard on hand for baking instead of the old can of shortening I have in the fridge.  I also admire the way you let Houston be part of the process.  Keep it up.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »
tuttimato  we use Boston Butts for making sausage, they give about the right ratio of fat to lean for sausage,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Arms319

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
Have you tried it yet? Just curious how it taste when frying food in it? We grew up with lard but haven't used it in many years.

I always enjoy your videos. Please keep making them.

I tried a little this morning. I actually fried up a few of the cracklings with some scrambled eggs.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
A very good video Arms.  As you started, I was thinking I'd like to do that but not with anything from the grocery store.  You answered that and I'd also trust a small locally supplied butcher shop.  I ground up some pork roasts a couple weeks ago with the idea of making some sausage for the first time and some pork patties for a quick fix.  It was also my first run with my new meat grinder.  I fried a patty and it's way too dry.  I sure was coveting your pig fat and wishing I had a good source.  I'd love to have some lard on hand for baking instead of the old can of shortening I have in the fridge.  I also admire the way you let Houston be part of the process.  Keep it up.
Tutti - when I make deer or pork sausage I usually buy a few pounds of "Bacon Ends and Pieces" to add to it. Gives it a slight smoke flavor and won't be so dry.
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
That's a brilliant idea Shane.  And it's probably the best I can do.  Thanks.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline cornbread

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
I also enjoy your videos.

Thank you.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
I agree- that video is very good and helpful . :) Thank you for posting it for all to see. :)  judy