Author Topic: PTO Tiller--What Brand?  (Read 579 times)

Offline GaTrapper

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
PTO Tiller--What Brand?
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Looking into getting a pto tiller for our tractor. 

Is there a good, reliable brand of tiller out there?
"A mans true character is defined in times of adversity, not through everyday life."
North Georgia

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
Re: PTO Tiller--What Brand?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »
I’ve used a King Kutter for years and hadn’t had any problems.  Reasonable price and heavy duty.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
King Kutter

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline davidjrtx

• Grasshopper
  • 8B Willis, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
Countyline/king cutter is what I have before they changed them up not sure what was changed but they look different now.

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
Gatrapper,
That is not so easy a question to answer. There are several variables you need to consider.
 1. What size, HP, tractor do you have? How wide from outside to outside of rear tires will determine width of tiller.
 2. Do you want a chain drive or gear drive? Check back there was some good responses to this issue in a recent previous discussion here.
 3. Parts availability and warranty.
 4. How big an area are you planning on tilling? This could impact model, price, etc.

I have a 48 inch Caroni FL1200. I use it on a compact tractor and the FL1200 was designed for 15 to 40 HP. It does an excellent job. It is a chain drive, weighs 408 lbs so it is heavily built and sold by AgriSupply. They have very good prices. They keep parts for all their equipment in stock and are the most customer supportive of any company I have dealt with in recent years. They sell a more heavily built tiller that is also a Caroni and they sell King Kutter tillers. Please keep us posted on your selection, why you chose the one you bought and how you like it.
A blip from Agrisupply on my tiller:
Ready your orchards, gardens, and vineyards with this compact Caroni FL1200ASC tillovator. Suited for tractors with 15 to 40 HP, this tiller includes 5 discs with 6 hoes each, equaling up to 30 tines in total. It also has a standard adjustable hitch and universal joint with clutch to quickly and easily attach to any towing tractor. A third floating point allows for a 6-1/2 in. displacement to the right in order to keep the PTO shaft aligned. Made out of high quality materials, this 48 in. rotary tiller is ready to work on a variety of terrains.

Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
I agree with the King Kutter choice. A very heavy duty gear driven tiller for the price. I have been very pleased with the performance of mine for the last 6 years.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »
Another vote for King Kutter/County Line.

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I don't know who makes Countyline tillers now, but they are definitely not built as strong as when made by KK.  Missing all the structural tubing KK had.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
I have a Land Pride.  I understand Kubota has bought the brand.  If Kubota builds them like Land Pride did, it will work well and is built with heavy steel.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well maintained LP used one.  Bill

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:50:15 AM »
Now don't forget the big green tiller! I checked about two years ago and they are only a little over 4 times the cost of County Line and probably not as good! Actually, I was quoted $8,500 by my local JD franchise and the County Line at Tractor Supply was then about $1,800 for the 6'er. But, I'm sure the green paint will look better sitting in your barn!
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »
Personally I have a Landpride been having it for years with no issues. only thing is I had to cut about 1/4 off the legs of my quick hitch to get it to fit, it was to tight a fit from the hitch pins to the frame.
But if I had to buy another one I'd go the same as most people say above and go with a KK.
For the most part other then the first past in new garden soil most tilling is in already broke ground so it does not have to be quite so heavy duty.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
I have a Land Pride the same width as my tractor and like it. I store  it under cover because of the clutch plates and only had to adjust them a couple of times when I had parked it too close to the edge of the barn- and rains blew in  . I am glad that I didn't get one any larger because I use it between the rows and it saves a lot of work. If it was too wide, then I wouldn't do that.  judy