Author Topic: Antique Analog Audio Equipment  (Read 446 times)

Offline phantam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Antique Analog Audio Equipment
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
Anyone on here collect, restore,  or use antique audio equipment such as cassette decks,  reel to reel,  8 track,  high power amps and floor speakers.   Great hobby!

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Analog Audio Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
i used to have a 78rpm portable record player that belonged to my great aunt.  it had a speaker in the front and the inside had velvet on the turntable.  i had it for a long time and dragged it through all of my moves.  most of the records she gave me were big band or 50's singers.  They were the old shellac records so some of them did break, but I still have some. 

When I ran out of the steel needles I gave it away to an older gentleman who was a friend of the family.  He did get needles for it and says he uses it regularly.  I was always surprised when that thing started up.  You could see the tubes through the opening in the back.  Always surprised they didn't wear out.

My husband has a bunch of Onkyo stereo stuff he inherited when his brother passed back in the mid 90's.  There is a receiver, then another box with the dual cassette, then another box of amplifier.  He also later added a pioneer cd player.  They feed in to 2 large floor speakers, also by Onkyo.  I know nothing about them.  We do have them hooked up to use by themselves or with the tv.   We sometimes use them if we want to watch a movie.  They are super loud.  The little one made the mistake of playing with the buttons when she was like 2 and got the jump scare of her life.  lol. 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline phantam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
That is a great system WC!   I would love to see pics of the equipment.   I think that I would transfer those 78 records that you have left over to digital storage such as cd or high quality mp3. Take a trip back in time whenever you want.  As a matter of time travel.   It is raining here now so Suzy and I are listening to old reel to reel tapes made back in the late 70s and early 80s.   Real Music!!!
Wayne

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »
Wayne, when I think back on all the money I invested in now old electronics it makes me sad. I have so many old high end speakers, amps and stuff, I don't know what to do with it all now. As far as I know there is no market for any of this stuff and I'm trying to decide what to do with it all. No sense in just letting it all sit and collect dust.
And I have a huge collection of CD's, cassett tapes, 78 rpm records, 33 rpm records and even a few VCR tapes and on and on.
What in the world would you recommend I do with all this 'stuff'?
Oh, as I was watching Pawn Stars a couple of weeks ago, some guy brought in a pin ball machine. I recognized it immediately as I have the exact some one in my game room. It's the Bally Captain America with Elton John and a bunch of risqué pictures on it.
They had a guy come in and appraise it for $2500, they offered him $1800 which he turned down. Mine isn't in as good condition as the one on the show but, since I've had it for over 25 years and paid $500 for it, I might just put it up for sale!
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Katrina took out my vinyl and reel to reel collection.  All my albums from 1964 and newer including older 78 rpm pitch records of 1920s and 1930s stuff my brother gave me from an old New Orlean's house that he helped clean out .  I have recently acquired some older (1970s) sound equipment.  I was given a Realistic STA-84 (actually made by Onkyo) tuner/amp and had to replace a few of the electrolytic capacitors.  Then I was given a set of 1970s JBL speaker columns that I had to re-cone.  Last I was given a Realistic (AKAI) 10" reel to reel and did a complete cleaning, belt replacement and audio pre-amp board repair.  Now I have all the equipment but no turn table yet to play the small collection of vinyl I am slowly gathering.  I do miss complete collections of Cream, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues and CCR among others. 

I already have a good electronics shop I built to repair electronic speed controllers for electric driven vehicles, HAM radio gear and Arduino/PIC/Raspberry projects.  Oscilloscopes, solder/desolder station, many variable bench power supplies, breadboards, PC Board making equipment, etc.  I also stock over 1000 different parts. I replaced all of my equipment that Katrina took out in 2005.  It comes in handy when you want to repair or create a project.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
Tbird,

Now you really brought back some old memories with cream. Guys like ole Slowhand and Neil Young bring back some good times with great music. Buffalo Springfield and the likes. Now I am reminiscing!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline phantam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »
Okie Bob old equipment can be sold on Ebay.   I have watched the prices keep going up.

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:12 AM »
Really? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the input!!
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
Question----I have a 1985 Technics system that includes tuner, amplifier,equalizer, turntable, cassette player and 2 speakers that look to be about 3 ft tall. It has not been used in years and years and stored in an unheated area. Do you think anyone around here would be interested in this thing---or should I just stick it out in the trash? Guess I could put one ad in the paper and see but do not want to waste my time if y'all think it is not desirable. I do know it cost around $1,ooo in 1985, if I remember correctly. My husband has hung on to it because his little brother ordered it in Sept 1985 and was killed in a car crash right before it arrived. We used it for a long time but then technology got the best of us! I remember it sounded very good,though. I really need the space now so should I just ditch it?

Offline phantam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
Rabbitproof,
    Post a add in Craigslist or on Ebay.   I am sure you could sell it.   Do you have any idea if any of the components still work?

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Phantam---am going to try it out today, if I have time. It worked fine the last time we used it, but that was maybe 10 ormore yrs ago. The turntable does need a new needle,though. It is in a fairly tight spot right now for getting to the back of it and checking all the wires. Need a little time to pull it out and redo the component wires,if necessary. Hope to get around to it soon.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:14:41 AM »
I follow a guy that runs a antique/junk store in west central Indiana an he posted what looks like a large metal tool box full of well orginized vaccum tubes for $50 if anyone is interested.  Junky joes is the store name an fb name. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer