Author Topic: Whats for supper ?  (Read 29747 times)

Offline texasfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Whats for supper ?
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
Since the garden came in we have been alternating between green beans with potatoes and onions and sausage....and squash casserole with ham,all from the garden(had to buy the sausage and ham).Take out chicken ocasionally....Now we are having okra ,tomatoes with onions cooked with sausage.All from the garden. As a side sweet banana pepper stuffed with cheese or with dip,You cant beat home cooking with fresh carden vegetables.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Sprout
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 18, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
you are right there texasfarmer!  there is nothing more delicious than veg picked from your own garden.   

i don't eat pork, but the banana pepper stuffed with cheese sounds interesting.  what kind of cheese do you use?  do you bake them as is or coat and fry them?

i can have them along with the beans/onions/potatoes that spring suggested.  that would be a heck of a meal!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline texasfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
wood chip gardener..............Banana peppers can be used many ways.I use them raw with any soft cheese or dip I have

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »
Grilled hamburger,
corn on cob,
squash,
taters,
hush puppies,
pork & beans,
Diet Pepsi & no fat yogurt.

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 21, 2017, 02:02:15 AM »
g'day all,
                 Red lentil Dahl with garlic pappadams ,  Cherry pie & Chocolate Ice cream. all washed down with a strong billy tea.
                    Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 21, 2017, 06:57:51 AM »
ya know what i love about your dinner postings pete?  that i have to hit the net to try to figure out what the heck you are eating...lol.  you have such a wide variety of things you make.  as a girl who like to look stuff up...it keeps it interesting.  :)

so from what i read, you had a lentil curry sort of dish (web said also has coconut, but you did not mention) with thin garlic wafer sort of things.  the tea looks interesting.  black tea with gum leaves?  how does it taste?
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
G'day Woodchip,
     You are pretty spot on your research , The billy tea is hot, strong & black ,& it's  a bit like our vegemite, it's an acquired taste ,we only use gum leaves when in the bush & boiling the billy over an open  fire  for the hot water , its  to reduce the Smokey flavor &  it adds a bit of interest. Once you have the billy can  on a rolling boil the tea leaves are added & steeped for a few minutes , Then the billy is spun at arms length, a bit like an aircraft  propeller, for a few seconds or so , this is  to settle the tea leaves to the bottom of the billy, before pouring the tea  this manuver  takes a bit of practice to build confidence,( my Father had me do it with cold water till I got it right as a kid ,about 55 odd years ago} or you could get scalded . Dahl is as you said ,is  made with red lentils ,vegies , coriander ,  curry & other herbs & spices, it's  made using coconut milk  & stirring in some coconut cream just before serving ,at least, that's how we do it ,Pappadams are more like a crisp bread  about 5 inches across, they are  hard at first but you flash fry them in oil or nuke them for a minute in a microwave ,then they turn round, flatish & crispy, you can even use them like a spoon just like in India, if you want. The only problem with this dish is your south wind gets going after a few hours, but geez its sure tastes  nice.
                      Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: Today at 08:02:29 AM »
thanks for clarifying tazzy!

my future son in law came to visit yesterday and we had a big turkey dinner.  i had gotten a frozen turkey on sale after mothers day.  i made turkey, green bean casserole, mashed red skin potatoes, peas and asparagus.  my daughter got a little crazy with the garlic on the asparagus, but it was still pretty good.  the best part...tonight we will have leftovers...no cooking!
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song