Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 125333 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #1940 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Looking good in Zone 7!!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »
Mowed, then spread Epsom Salts on the lawn and the yard.  Need to spread coffee grinds, too.

We're supposed to get rain starting tomorrow evening, so it'll get washed in.

Put the fake owl in a tree.  MY squirrel was sitting on the fence eating a Tomatillo when I looked out the window this morning....
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Replaced jalapeno pepper plants that were eaten by Critters. 

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 19, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
Sanford went out to Big Randy's today and picked a few cukes and Gypsy peppers to make ice box pickles for tomorrows market in Eunice.  He picked 4 ears of corn that were ready.

He also informed me that the snap beans are redy to pick they are loaded. I should pick close to 8 or 9 gallons tomorrow. WE shall see said the blind man to the deaf woman on the telephone   :o
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online woodchip gardener

• Sprout
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 20, 2017, 03:13:28 AM »
just went out to water yesterday as it was bright, sunny and 90 here yesterday.  I also moved the gerber daisy the kids gave me for mother's day into a bigger pot and out of the sun.  the poor thing goes face down by the afternoon even after getting watered every morning.  too hot in the sun for it.  it seemed better last night and is enjoying it's new home on the porch.

i gave the candy onions a good drink because they are really starting to bulb up now.   i did notice some flowers on the persian cukes that usmc had sent me to try.  :)  i am looking forward to those.

i put some kentucky wonder pole beans in one of my empty barrels.  i put some tall tomato stakes on either side and fed some chicken wire over them for the beans to crawl up.  we are due a chance of rain ever day until wed and then supposedly the temps are going back down to upper 70's and low 80's.  i figure they have a shot at coming up.   
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
Helped a friend load raised beds with 2 yards of compost....

I know it's too hot for more green beans now, but, it's ok to sow TPPEPHPs and Asparagus beans, right? 

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »
GG,

Yes it is too late for green beans but right on time for peas.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 21, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
You'd be surprised how high a fat, fifty-three year old can jump when he runs across a snake in the garden. Fortunately, in this case the snake is in the form of Rattlesnake Pole Beans. You can see their characteristic, snake-skin striping. It's a good day in the garden.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 21, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
Picked a nice sack of cucumbers and fixing to start canning pickles! Still dusty dry here but we went into Houston to a brunch to celebrate my middle grandson turning 21 tomorrow and it rained so hard there we nearly drown getting into the Cadillac Bar!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 21, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »
Picked some squash and zucchini.
South-Central Alabama

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: May 21, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Gymgirl, as Double B said, right now is the perfect time to plant purple hull peas.    I planted one raised bed yesterday and will plant another one in the next couple of weeks.   
Arlie

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
Picked over 9 gallons of Rattlesnakes yesterday and a few ears of corn. Yes the corn is ready to pick. now if the rain will let up tomorrow we will be out there.

Picked a few tomatoes and gypsy peppers also.
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: Today at 12:00:35 AM »
Then, TPPEPHPs it'll be! 

What else can go in now?  A couple neighbors want to start a veggie garden club, and, I need to know what they can grow now.  I'm thinking, peas, watermelons, okra, Asparagus beans, and cowpeas.

Actually, we're gonna concentrate on getting their raised beds built and filled, and starting seed lists for the fall/winter crop.

At least that's the plan for MY veggie garden, LOL!

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: Today at 12:03:35 AM »
Then, TPPEPHPs it'll be! 

What else can go in now?  A couple neighbors want to start a veggie garden club, and, I need to know what they can grow now.  I'm thinking, peas, watermelons, okra, Asparagus beans, and cowpeas.

Actually, we're gonna concentrate on getting their raised beds built and filled, and starting seed lists for the fall/winter crop.

At least that's the plan for MY veggie garden, LOL!
Okra and beans, peas too late for the water melons. Corn would be a good item if you have the space ~!~!

Online woodchip gardener

• Sprout
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: Today at 12:35:15 AM »
i pulled 3-10 gal bags of potatoes i had growing.  they got blight.  i don't know...i just can't grow potatoes.  :(   2 of the bags were from microtubers i had planted out as seed potatoes.  the other bag had 2 reg potatoes in it that i had on the cupboard that grew eyes from non-use.   the first bag was one of the heritage potato bags and it did ok (light pink outside and in).  nice small new potatoes.  the second bag had pretty much nothing in it but more small microtubers (very small tan-ish ones).  the third bag of the counter potatoes (darker pink ones) were not in that long, but did ok.  it had several, but they were not that big.  i have 3 more bags out there that are still healthy and growing, so hopefully the extra time will help them.  2 of them are already flowering and hopefully with the rain this week they will put on some size.

here is a pic of my sad, sad results.  i did save a few of them to try again in the fall, but the rest we cooked for breakfast yesterday.  even though they were little, they were delicious.  my family really enjoyed them.   :) 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: Today at 02:15:46 AM »
G'day All,
I spent the day pruning the fruit trees as we are now getting frosts & winter is well on the way. Carted 4 ute loads of pruning  to my bio char area for  drying out prior to using the kilns . then I started the ride on & mulched the leaves from the fall. Now enjoying a cuppa & sending this.
                                                  Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: Today at 12:12:15 PM »
First tassels showed on corn Saturday and the wind and rain laid it down on Sunday.  Did pick a bag of 1015 onions before yesterday's rain.  Didn't get a chance to pick row of beets before the rain.  Ground up 30# of 2 beef to 1 pork yesterday for the freezer.  This is a little more than I usually do, but got a good deal on the beef.

Bob
« Last Edit: Today at 12:20:43 PM by bigboberta »
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA