Author Topic: What does 100 cubic yards of saw dust look like?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
What does 100 cubic yards of saw dust look like?
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
Just got a delivery of saw dust.  I intend to use it in the garden after it rots some, or may even try a back-to-eden row or two.  It's mostly red oak and smells just like a woodworkers shop.  I think it was around 100 yards

https://youtu.be/yui00xoAGvc

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What does 100 cubic yards of saw dust look like?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
Looks good to me. I could use a load like that.  :D
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »
wow adrian!  that is amazing!  i am glad you showed the floor moving thing at the end of the video.  i was wondering how they get that stuff out. 

are you going to put anything in the piles as far as nitrogen to break them down?  do you have some fresh grass clippings to mix in?   if you are going to just let them rot, then you will want to stir them up so they don't compact.   i read something once about using red wigglers in big piles of sawdust to break it down, but you would want to read up on that before you invest in that amount of worms.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:34:23 PM »
Chip that trailer unloading was done with a "walking floor". They do a pretty good job but they are slow.  Dump trailers are much faster an I wondered when the video started which system would be used.  At the coal fired power plant that I worked at we received loads of pressed non recyclable paper that had been pressed into what we deamed to be dog turds  cause they looked an smelt like that. They probably would have worked in a compost pile.  Most of that material came in walking floortrailers. 

zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
WCG,
I'm not sure what I'll do with those piles yet, I'll have to read up on it a little first.  I have a few acres of grass, but no real good way to bag it after I mow it.  I do intend to consolidate those piles into one long row, maybe cut the length used by a quarter.  The next step that I know I'll do is put a sprinkler on it and try to get the piles wet.  That's about as far as i made it.

For anyone else, see if there is a hardwood flooring manufacturer or a millworks factory near you.  I used to go scoop and haul shavings from a hardwood flooring manufacturer.  This is from a millworks place that makes cabinet trim.  I lucked up because they were close and willing to deliver it.

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:18 AM »
Mr Adrian, congratulations.
That looks like some good, useful stuff.

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 07:14:07 AM »
That is a lot of saw dust!
I look forward to hearing how it breaks down and what you use it for.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »
That will take a long time to break down, but once it does you will have some good stuff ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast