Author Topic: Meat Rabbits  (Read 145 times)

Offline bowonly

• Grasshopper
  • Moss Bluff, LA Zone 8B
    • View Profile
Meat Rabbits
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
Sorry I haven't been around in awhile.  Other aspects of life have been keeping me rather busy this past year.  I started raising New Zealand meat rabbits last year just because rabbit is my favorite of all meats and I don't have time to hunt them anymore.  It is starting to grow into an enterprise selling the cleaned and vacuum sealed meat to guys at work.  I started with 1 buck and 2 breeding does and now have 4 breeding does.  I have a couple litters ready for the grow out pen and am expecting 4 litters in the coming weeks.  I have acquired a replacement buck and am finishing up a cage for him so it will free up my grow out pen for the young weanlings.  I will take and post pictures this weekend while I am working out there moving the replacement buck.  I have an automatic watering system made from a couple 5 gl buckets, but I can see that I am going to have to revise this system as it is running me ragged with repairing leaks.  If any of you have any tips I would more than welcome them as I have only been at this for a little over a year and have much to learn.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Meat Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
I have been raising meat rabbits steady for over 20 years--not big---maybe a 100 to 200 per year some times---for my own food and sell them live to others. I never really got into bagging and selling to people because that requires a Approve Facility------to be Legal----In my area. With any Rabbitery---always think---Long term----make it where it is less work when possible. I built my Meals On Wheels 20 hole Rabbitery some years back---the best thing I have ever done when it comes to saving so much time. Most cages are 30X 36". I use the Edstrom brass waterers and am very happy with them---most I have are 20 years old and still working---very little problem as long as the water is clean---no open 5 gal buckets in the attic.

If you are not familiar with my Meals On Wheels Rabbitery---I can share some pics and answer questions.

Offline bowonly

• Grasshopper
  • Moss Bluff, LA Zone 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
I would be very interested in seeing your automatic watering system

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
I would be very interested in seeing your automatic watering system

Keep in mind we do not have very many nights of freezing here and very, very few days that's freezing during the daylight. So I will guess and say we have 20/25 nights of freezing, So I have to drain my system if it gets below 30 and water in crocks/tins. BUT the rest of the year I am good to go.  I use a 50 gal water holding tank over head---free flow through the pvc pipe and through the tubs to the water valves.

Pic 1--you can see the white water tank over the door.

Pic 2 is how the lines are set-up.

If I had a lot more colder days and nights---then I would set up a recirculating system with a warmer to keep the water above freezing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:51:41 PM by PD-Riverman »

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
I don't raise rabbits nor do I know a thing about how to.
 I will say from an  outsider point of view that is an awesome designed  "Meals on Wheels" rabbit hutch  PD-Riverman.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
I don't raise rabbits nor do I know a thing about how to.
 I will say from an  outsider point of view that is an awesome designed  "Meals on Wheels" rabbit hutch  PD-Riverman.

Thanks, It sure made raising rabbits a enjoyment instead of a burden, cleaning, cleaning, etc.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
Just curious what do you with the pelts?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
Just curious what do you with the pelts?
If you are talking to me Maggie13, I have never had a source to sell them---so I do nothing with them.

Online nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
PD-Riverman That is one impressive rabbitry!!

JB
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Offline bowonly

• Grasshopper
  • Moss Bluff, LA Zone 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
When I grow up that is the type of rabbitry I would like to build.  Don't have room for it in the subdivision.  Very nice!

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
Thanks Everyone!!

To better describe my Rabbitery----I collect the poop on window screen's just below the cages(that I just happen to have in storage, the right size and I got for free---boxes of them---that was good) I dump the screens about once a week into the worm beds or compost pile. Then if there is any smell coming from the urine that goes to the dirt---I would pull it up 30 to 40 ft or put it into another location. During the hottest part of summer it is put under the tree limbs for shade---during the coldest part of winter it is moved where it receives the most sun during the day. I then have the sides rolled down as well as skirting added(just for the colder 2/3 months), etc---Works So Good and so easy to raise them with Min. work/cleaning!

Sure it could have been Built FANCY---But its on the back of my farm---no one see's it unless I take them there----but very few. I am happy with it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:23:50 PM by PD-Riverman »