Author Topic: Whats for supper ?  (Read 113986 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Whats for supper ?
« Reply #880 on: January 04, 2018, 01:03:17 AM »
BigBoBerta, What is the recipe for your shrimp Casserole? It sounds both interesting and tasty. of course I think anything with shrimp is good.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 04, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
Smothered cabbage and pieces of pork chops, smothered turkey wings in brown gravy, and white beans with taso. Man it's good!

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 06, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
G'day All,
Tonight we had Bratwurst Sausages in a rich onion Gravy, with peas, carrots, corn, Brussels sprouts,& Mash .All washed down with a Mint tissane.
            Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 06, 2018, 02:16:38 AM »
Hey tazzy how would you describe a rich onion gravy?

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 06, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
Tonight was a rib roast with sweet taters.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 06, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
G'day Bobcat,
 A rich (onion) gravy is like any rich gravy , it is  Thick, unctuous  & flavorful, whereas if they are light, mild  & runny they are more like a sauce. The base note can be varied depending upon what stock is used in the making, & likewise  depending on your choice of spices, etc , so goes the aftertaste.I use some blackjack to darken a gravy for beef dishes & Vegemite at a pinch but the flavor profile changes with the vegie .                                Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 06, 2018, 07:09:43 PM »
Sounds good gonna have to Google it. I love onions in a gravy I am sure ours is different than yours, but iblove trying new things!

Thanks!

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 06, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Looks like it's cooked perfect Mikem!

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
bobcat - That was from our beef and like every other cut the taste was awesome.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 06, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
The wife has gone up to Kansas City to bring our daughter back for a few days along with our new granddaughter.  I am baching it for supper.  In the freezer I have a Marie Calendar Salisbury steak dinner.  So, I guess that's it for supper. Ain't bad, I've et worse....

You know, it's funny since my daughter moved to KC she started calling the evening meal dinner.  Around here, "Dinner" was 'bean time', what you had in the middle of the work day.  When you got home that evening you had "supper".  I may never as a southern Arkansan adjust to this midwestern nomenclature.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 07, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
BigBoBerta, What is the recipe for your shrimp Casserole? It sounds both interesting and tasty. of course I think anything with shrimp is good.

Daniel, I am sorry it took me so long to reply, but I have been caught up in a project at my daughter's house and has taken most of my time.

This is something we started years ago to use up some of the leftovers from seafood boils.  We take the potatoes cut them into 1" cubes add some of the garlic minced, onion, other other vegetables  and whatever seafood, shrimp, crab, and or crawfish is left and mix it well and place it in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat it up till warm then sprinkle favorite cheese on top and place in preheated oven at 350 until cheese melts garnish with shallot greens.

We have also done this by just boiling potatoes and vegetables in seafood boil and adding raw shrimp which actually gives it more shrimp flavor.  Either way we really love it.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 09, 2018, 03:49:58 AM »
G'day Everyone,
Tonight we had Chicken schnitzel with a vegetable kugel ,afters was a Scottish shortbread with macadamia  & all washed down with Yorkshire Tea.
                Regards Pete

woodchip gardener

« Reply #892 on: January 09, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »
hub brought home a pizza for dinner since he was out.  for dessert, earlier today i made him a flan as a 'thank you for taking care of us' treat.  the little one and i are on the uptick from a bad round (and 2nd round of antibiotics for each of us now) of strep.  i am finally feeling like myself again and he was a big help.  he loved the flan. 

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 09, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Chicken and spinach enchiladas with a side of spicy Mexican rice
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole with Mandarin Orange congealed salad with sour cream dressing.

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »
G'day All,
Tonight we have Lambs Fry & Bacon in a rich Onion Gravy with Mash spuds, Mushy peas,julienne honey carrots, & corn . Desert was a couple of black boy Cherry Tartlets washed down with a Twinings  Irish breakfast tea.             Regards Pete

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 15, 2018, 12:51:27 AM »
G'day All,
 Tonight we have Baked Underground Mutton ( Rabbit) &  roasted Veggies  ,for desert Apricot Almond & cinnamon tart with a  whipped brandy cream , Washed down with an Irish coffee .
               Regards Pete

woodchip gardener

« Reply #897 on: January 15, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
hub was home for dinner last night, so i made some baked fished filet, mashed potatoes and corn.  i was really happy the little one ate some fish that was not fish sticks..(although to get her to try it, i did tell her it was like a fish stick without the brown outside lol).   

i had a prefab graham pie crust, some cool whip and a block of cream cheese left over from holiday baking.  it wasn't enough to make a cheesecake, so i decided to make a peanut butter pie.  it was pretty easy to make, but omgosh so rich.  i had a couple of forkfuls and i couldn't eat any more.  the hub liked it, but didn't make it through his piece either.  i put the clear plastic lid from the pie crust over the top of it and put it in the freezer.  it is good in small doses, but we won't get back to any of it for a bit.  once it freezes we can cut off little bits and have it as a treat over the rest of winter.

hub is working for dinner tonight, so the little one and I will have something basic tonight.  i think we might have grilled cheese and some fruit.

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »
G'day All,
Tonight we had a Lamb forequarter roast with roast veggies, some apple roll ups & a cuppa to wash it down.
                   Regards Pete

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
Leftover spaghetti and meatballs, salad , and garlic toast. Pretty uninteresting!!!!