Author Topic: Canning failure  (Read 200 times)

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Canning failure
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »
We have canned all of the tomatoes that we need, an gave away a truckload or two, but our tomatoes are still producing an mom is making tomatoe gravy for herself an me, an I said to her that I wondered if you could can tomato gravy.   Well the next time she made gravy she bottled a pint an water bathed it for a short time.  She showed it to me but I didn't take it home at that time.  Several days later mom started smelling something rotten an it was that pint of gravy!   When we talked about it I had told her we should look up the recipe in a canning book, but she didn't an luckily the jar went nasty before the I was killed!   So until I look at the proper way to do it I will have to make my own. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Canning failure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
Years ago my sister inlaw gave me some preserves she had canned for the first time. I had some store bought jam opened and in use at the time so hers sat in the pantry for awhile. Thank goodness it did!! Hers were all moldy when I opened it. She gave a lot away to people ---wonder how many people she made sick?

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
What was the recipe for the tomato gravy?
Arlie

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
STG.  Tomato gravy is made just like sausage gravy but use peeled diced tomatoes rather than sausage.  Oh man you are in for a treat!   I have made sausage gravy an added a can of rotel tomatoes with peppers an that is good but try just tomatoe gravy first.  Good over toast or biscuits. 

Also something I had never tried until a year or so ago was fried bologna gravy.   That is good to for those of us that like fried bologna! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »
I am not sure what kind of sauce you are talking about, but if you are adding seasoning like a marinara sauce, Seasoning added, you have to pressure can them.

You can look up USDA Canning guide on internet for proper procedures.  It is a free download sort of large, the whole thing is seven guides but is the latest in canning.  Or if you have a Ball Blue book it is very close to USDA.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
Can't be too careful Gopher, back in the early 1930s a Mrs.Hein served some peas she had canned to a dinner party in North Dakota, killed 13 including the Heins and 3 of their children. Botulism.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
Wow. I know canned goods can be a hazard but 13 people!  Mom has a blue book but she is a little hard headed.  If I had been there I would have got the book an looked up a recipe, but her theory is it is hot coming out of the pan am you put it in a hot clean jar you shouldn't have to can it for very long...she doesn't can anything other than green beans a tomatoes so that is why she has reached 92.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill