Author Topic: Cheap walk in cooler  (Read 3533 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Cheap walk in cooler
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »
I saw this on a Market gardeners page. Thought it was worth spreading around

This is a controller to turn an A/C into a refer unit. It's $315 for the controller and another 300 for an A/C unit but it beats 2500 for a commercial model.

http://storeitcold.com/howitworks.html

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap walk in cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »
That sounds like a winner if it works as advertised.  We use an old freezer to age sheep but it would be nice to have something bigger.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:07 AM »
it works great . I know 2 people that has one.  guy down the road has a crawfish pond, keeps them in a small old refer unit , like the milk company's deliver milk in. the big unit went out , he installed a a.c. unit and a co9olbot.. works as stated..  you need to have the building as they recommend for it to keep cool..insulation is the key..

Offline davidjrtx

• Grasshopper
  • 8B Willis, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Yea there used to be a thread with pics of a guy that built a walk in cooler before the forum cleaning  ;D using coolbot said it worked great...

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
Coolbot has been around awhile and everybody I talk to likes them and recommends as a cost alternative way. They admit it wouldn't work for a commercial application but for a small vegetable operation that needs cool storage they must be ok.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »
Yea there used to be a thread with pics of a guy that built a walk in cooler before the forum cleaning  ;D using coolbot said it worked great...

I am pretty sure you are talking about VinceSilverfox From Canada.  He did a thread with step by step pictures.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »

I am pretty sure you are talking about VinceSilverfox From Canada.  He did a thread with step by step pictures.

Bob

Hey Dave and Bob,  this is exactly what Vince used.  For those of you that didn't or don't know him,  he built a room about 8' X 10' or so with 6" foam insulation through the walls, floors and ceiling.  Of course living where he did in Northern Canada (further north of the US-Canada border than Donald lives south of it) he also used it for a winter storage to keep from freezing.  It worked amazingly well, but then again Vince is exceptionally talented when it comes to designing and building things.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:44:13 PM by tbird »
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
That is a good point to make Tbird. When we get around to building our processing shed the walk in cooler will need heat as well as cool. Not as much as Vince but probably 3 mos in the winter we will be heating that same space to keep things from freezing.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
I'm late to the party again but this may help someone. 

Last summer I picked up an enclosed trailer (5 X 10) that was used and pretty well beat up.  It was a Haulmark brand however and that means it's quality.  I took it down to AZ and worked all winter on  it to make it into a Cooler Trailer with a 12,000 BTU AC and Coolbot. 

I installed 4" of foam on the walls, ceiling and floor as well as the swinging door. I lined it with 1/4 inch plywood on the walls and ceiling, 3/8 on the floor.    I cut a big hole and installed the A/C unit in the front end and installed a standard electric box with a pass through and outdoor marine plug in.  I then caulked all the seams and cracks and used a whole gallon of Kilz paint on the inside and then a whole gallon of porch and floor paint over that.  (I also fixed the hole in the roof from a tree branch, installed new tires, repacked the bearings and sanded and repainted the trailer frame.)
Lastly, when all that was done I installed the CoolBot unit (easy) and had a local artist put our farm logo on the exterior.

Then we pulled it back to Wisconsin and set it up next to our farm stand.  I bought wire metal shelves and screwed them to the inside. 

I had a bunch of photos but lost them when my computer bit the dust.  Here are a few I salvaged. 

A couple of notes:  Using 2" rigid foam ($20 per 4x8) was the cheapest way to insulate.  I used cans of spray foam to fill cracks and seams.  I found the niftiest thing to make cutting foam easy, a Hot Knife from Harbor Freight.  Finding 4" and 5" screws to install the foam was a pain.  And expensive.  I added big tie down eyes in the four corners so I could use the trailer for other things too if necessary.  If one wanted to spend more $$ and less time I would recommend having someone spray foam the interior with 4" of foam.  Or buy one of those kits and do it yourself.  Getting the foam on the ceiling was the most difficult part of the entire project.

So, how does it work???   FANTASTIC. 

I just put 25 heads of cabbage inside and it is 42*, right where I set it.  I cannot say how nice this will be to finally have refrigerator space!  We decided on a trailer rather than a walk-in because we can take it to the Farmer's Market, and even to the field when we harvest. 

All in All I have about 1900$ in the build with $500 being the trailer purchise and $200 for new tires.

Regards,

Jim

Faith Farms is a family run flower and vegetable farm in the heart of Amish country in the picturesque Driftless Region of Southwestern Wisconsin. Our farm is directly across the road from the Vernon Vineyards and Pedretti Party Barn

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »
We had exact same idea a few years back. Never followed through. Great job BTW!
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »
We had exact same idea a few years back. Never followed through. Great job BTW!

Thank you,

It works really nice.

Regards,

Jim
Faith Farms is a family run flower and vegetable farm in the heart of Amish country in the picturesque Driftless Region of Southwestern Wisconsin. Our farm is directly across the road from the Vernon Vineyards and Pedretti Party Barn

Offline Mbell97

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Here's my favorite guy talking about his walk in cooler. Very good video

https://youtu.be/1DYrLOXUFqs

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
this is a wonderful work around!
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)