Author Topic: Paddle the Okra?  (Read 671 times)

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Paddle the Okra?
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
I planted Clemson Spineless Okra in June, and it's roughly 4 ft tall now, but no blooms.  Maybe it's just poor memory on my part, but it seems like it was producing at this stage last year. 

I've read where people have "switched" their okra with brooms or sticks to get the plants to produce. No, they're not wailing on it trying to hit a home run, they're just giving it a good swat.  And while it seems like a crazy idea, there's evidently some basis for it. When stressed by the switching, the plants produce traumatin (sp?), a stress hormone, which induces the plants to bloom.  I've also read where some claim to accomplish the same thing by pruning branches off the plants to induce stress.

Anyone have any experience to offer?

I haven't reached my patience limit yet, but give me another week of no blooms, and it may be "paddlin'" time :O

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle the Okra?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
I cut the lower limbs usually as I cut the pods because they're in the way. You're still about  2 weeks away from eating okra, also the rain & humidity in your location could be a factor.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
Monroe,

Thank you for the input.  I'll put the paddle away and be patient for a little while longer ;)

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Monroe,
Another way of saying it is "Patience is a virtue." The plants need a bit more time.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline RMGeorge

• Grasshopper
  • Northwest LA, Zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »
Never heard of paddling okra, but my Clemson Spineless, planted on May 10th, has been producing for a while now. This was my first year to plant that variety and I was surprised to see it start producing when the plants were only about two feet tall. My location is Northwest Louisiana.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
Hi George, welcome to the Bayou Gardener. Is this the same RMGeorge from CDC. Good to see you here, another fine group of people here.
PawPaw "gene"

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
Orange,

Is your okra flowering and producing yet? I grow an old heirloom variety and like Mr. George, mine started producing at two feet tall. It is four feet tall and we are cutting a nice sack of okra every other day now.

Welcome to the forum RMGeorge. Jump right in with this great group of folks!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline RMGeorge

• Grasshopper
  • Northwest LA, Zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi George, welcome to the Bayou Gardener. Is this the same RMGeorge from CDC. Good to see you here, another fine group of people here.
PawPaw "gene"

Yeah Gene, it's me from CDC. Good to be here! Learning a lot from reading all the posts. Been raising a vegetable garden for years here. The deer are sure eating well now. Three out of four deer prefer Hale's Best Jumbo canteloupe over Scrumptious and Caravelle. No preference shown on the okra leaves...Clemson Spineless and Louisiana Green Velvet are equally consumed.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
George glad to have you here. Folks George is a friend of mine from another forum. He's a wonderful person to have around. Y'all give him a great big welcome. George we're having a gathering at Chico Lake in October, if you can come join us for a nice day of food and sharing. If not, looking to see you at D'Arbonne in November.
"gene"

Offline RMGeorge

• Grasshopper
  • Northwest LA, Zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
George glad to have you here. Folks George is a friend of mine from another forum. He's a wonderful person to have around. Y'all give him a great big welcome. George we're having a gathering at Chico Lake in October, if you can come join us for a nice day of food and sharing. If not, looking to see you at D'Arbonne in November.
"gene"

Thanks! I don't know of any reason I couldn't make it to Chico.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:11 AM »
DoubleB

It's been 8 weeks since I planted the Clemson spineless seed.  The plants are spaced roughly 3 ft apart, are 4.5 ft tall, and have lots of healthy leaves and branches.  The stalks at the base are almost 1.5 inches in diameter.  In other words, they're fat, healthy plants, but not a single bloom on them.  I'm wondering if I got the soil too rich?  I tilled in fertilizer prior to planting, and I've watered at least once with liquid miracle grow.  That's no different, though, then last year, and the Clemson spineless produced very well then.  The adjacent, purple hull peas have received the same treatment, and they're producing well.

If I don't see some blooms forming in the next two weeks, I'm going to cut it all down.  I can use the space more effectively with something that produces. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:50:14 PM by OrangeTxn »

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »
Good morning Mike,
A few years back I planted to Fife County okra seeds, the same I've been planting for years, and had terrible results. The plants grew fast and tall with leaves 1 1/2 feet across. They were the most beautiful plants I've ever grown. They went from about 6 inches high to 4 foot high in a couple of weeks. The only problem was during that time they made not flowers. With all that new growth, aphids took over and killed the whole patch. I hadn't been watching them closely because they were only growing leaves and no okra. I didn't use much fertilizer, only tilled a little in before planting just like I always do. It was one of those situations that end with a question mark. The year before I had plant only 12 inches tall with okra on them, go figure.
"gene"

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
PawPaw Gene

Thank you for relaying your experience.  It's almost a carbon copy of my experience this year.  The plants are healthy, they just aren't producing, and I don't know why. I guess I should leave at least one of them for the sake of seeing if they ever produce.  The rest, though, may find the compost pile.......

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Go cut all the leaves off the plant except the top two leaves by the growing tip. That should make the plant go into production mode for seeds/okra. It should make them flower.

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
I've had that problem before with late planted okra.  It grows real good but took a long time to start producing.  I would cut out any added fertilizer for sure.  Also, they talk about okra bearing until frost, but mine seems to shut down production once the temps start cooling, long before a frost.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
I agree with you Chapman. Once the temps cool off, I let mine go to seed. By then, I'll have a freezer full and a bunch pickled.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
Evidently the okra was listening.  Threats of being swatted with a broom or having appendages chopped off evidently motivated it to finally bloom.  The first opened this morning.  It's been 65 days since it was planted. 

Granted, when my wife threatens to chase me around and swat me with a broom, I tend to motivate and get more done, too, so I can't blame the okra.  It's still interesting to me, though, that the plants are as large as they are before they started to produce. 

Oh, and the good advice award goes to Monroe, who told me to just be patient.  His guestimate of two additional weeks before the okra started to produce was very close. 

Online ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »
Glad you got it straightened out Orange! I'm with Ragun and Monroe, I cut off all limbs/leaves, leaving only those at top of plant. No more itchy/scratchy when harvesting.

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Here in PA my clemson germinated late June and is producing already.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:32:34 AM »
All those important "firsts" in life: your first best friend; your first date; your first marriage (let's hope there's only one); your first child; your first okra pod of the season. Okay - admittedly there's a pretty big drop-off between the last two, but the the okra pod is still in the top ten 😉 And, yes, I ate the pod shortly after taking the pic. Even raw, they're pretty tasty. Yep - the okra is finally producing.