Author Topic: Real tea cake recipe  (Read 554 times)

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Real tea cake recipe
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »
 OK ya'll. these are delicious in my opinion and super easy !! I used oil as called for and no butter. Easy, easy,easy. I might make them on parchment paper next time and trim away the fragments of dough since it was so soft ( a little short on flour this rainy day).  They rose a lot because of the sr flour and so I was pleased because that 's what I was looking for. A big glass of cold milk and the lemon flavoring reminded me of the  original Jack's cookies out of the old display jars  which went into a little paper bag at the old country store - on my  daily trips there as a child . ..https://www.southernkissed.com/old-fashioned-tea-cakes/    judy

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Real tea cake recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Judy----I absolutely love teacakes.Will try this----thanks!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »
Thank you Rabbitproof. :)  I love them too much .haha :)  judy

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
hi judy

i have never had a tea cake.  i am gonna try these!  my hub loves sugar cookies, so he should love these.

i don't have any lemon extract.  do they have to be lemon?  any suggestion on how to flavor them without lemon?
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
Thanks Woodchip for Sharing, I saved it and will give it a go soon, we got to cut Grass this evening or we would have the Oven fired up now

when it gets closer to Christmas I will share My Fruit Cake Cookie Recipe with U All, I had shared it on the Old site, a lot of good recipe went away when it went down

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
hi judy

i have never had a tea cake.  i am gonna try these!  my hub loves sugar cookies, so he should love these.

i don't have any lemon extract.  do they have to be lemon?  any suggestion on how to flavor them without lemon?
  Hi Woodchip.  I think the lemon extract makes the cookies taste like  the original Jacks cookies. Without it, it would probably be more  like a sugar cookie. It has vanilla ext  Maybe add  sprinkled sugar  to tops, :)   judy

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
Judy these sound yummy. Thanks for sharing the link to the recipe.
 I will give them a try.
Since I do not have lemon extract  when I make them I  will use lemon or Lime zest
 I always have both of them in the house.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
I hope you like them as much as I do/did. haha !  I would like to add that i made them a little thick  . :) :) :) :)    judy

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »
hi judy

i found some lemon juice in the back of the fridge.  think that would work instead of the extract? 

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:27 PM »
Judy,
If you wanted to substitute a flavor for lemon I would suggest Almond extract/flavoring. Almond flavoring makes a delightful pound cake.  Lemon peel is what gives the lemon flavor and not so much the juice. I knew an elder lady who was noted to have high tea and serve a thinly sliced "tea cake" that she made with lemon juice. We ( I was a teenager) use to delight in going over to her high tea and watch the unknowing eat her cake with tea. We referred to it as "lock jaw cake." Once you took a bite you did not want to swallow it and you certainly could not spit it out at high tea with everyone watching you....your jaws just locked up!
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 04:51:07 AM »
haha.  i will take that as a 'no' then dg.  lol.  thanks for the warning that lemon juice is a no-no.

i will have to have hub stop at the store for a lemon. 

thanks!  i am excited to try these!

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 05:25:17 AM »
I remember an elderly relative who accidentally used Lemon Joy instead of lemon juice in her pound cake----we almost choked to death. We went in to her kitchen and there the big bottle of Lemon Joy was found in her fridge----poor soul saw the word Lemon on it and had gotten confused. We never said a word and went out and bought her a different type dish detergent!!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
haha.  i will take that as a 'no' then dg.  lol.  thanks for the warning that lemon juice is a no-no.

i will have to have hub stop at the store for a lemon. 

thanks!  i am excited to try these!

I would just get a little bottle of lemon extract  which is sold next to the vanilla extract. It is different than lemons or  juice. .  Put the lid on tight and it will last a long time and not evaporate.  We've had a little  bottle for years. :)  You could probably use the  yellow zest  of a real lemon scraped extremely fine preferably with a zester .   :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:57:14 AM by bordercollie »

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
Bordercollie >< I am sorry about thinking it was woodchip that shared the recipe for the Tea cookies, Thank U for Sharing this recipe, I plan to pick up what I need to make them this afternoon when I go to town

I can remember as a young boy passing by Jack's Cookies, it smelled so good, one could go into any Grocery store and there would be a big container with those big Jacks Cookies, seems like they were a nickel a peace, that was a long time ago

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »
I was considering making them this evening and was considering using 1/2 oil  and 1/2 melted oil mixed with the oil. Also 1/2 with lemon extract and 1/2 made with almond extract. I will follow-up with what I do and the outcome.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »
i am looking forward to hearing how they turn out!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
Well, I just had one with a glass of milk  before I go to bed.. I only have 2 left boo hoo !   haha oh well, I know how to fix that ! .  I'm also looking forward to the  results of the experiment Daniel .  Not a problem LakeRat :)   I appreciate your memories of the cookie too, I couldn't remember what they cost.. :) Good Luck everyone.  I like mine thick - almost as thick as my little finger but go with what you  prefer.     :)  judy

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
thank you judy, the word tea cake brings back a special memory from my youth. Grandma made tea cakes, not just a few at the time, but several large dishpans full. She cooked on a wood stove & I suppose once the oven got just right she cooked enough to last awhile. I have no idea her recipe but they were plenty good. My cousins & I would get a handful at a time.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
I made the dough including vanilla and used 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 melted butter. After mixing the dough I divided the cookie dough into two bowls and added 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract to one bowl and 3/4 teaspoon almond extract in the other and mixed each to incorporate the flavoring. Both made very nice cookies with good texture. They were a bit lacking in flavoring. If I were making it  again I would double the flavoring. There are several reasons the flavoring may have been lacking. I changed the recipe and also used Rapadura sugar and 1/2  butter. The most likely is dividing the dough then adding the flavoring. The recipe called for 4 to 5 cups flour and I used 4.5 cups the more than 4 cups may require more flavoring. Next time I will add more vanilla and other flavoring. I tend to be more partial to almond flavor than lemon so I will use the almond extract.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
A brief update to my prior post. I left them on the counter to cool last evening (made them about 1 am this morning) and this morning they had a very pleasant tea cake texture and had a bit of the Rappadura sugar flavor, which is a faint molasses taste. I still think I will add more extract next time. I think it might be helpful if we do like Southern Living often does and list the brand of certain ingredients. I used White Lilly self rising flour, Spice Supreme pure lemon extract, Black Bay pure vanilla extract and Frontier organic almond extract. I enjoyed a couple with coffee while fixing breakfast.