Author Topic: Then and now  (Read 98 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Then and now
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »
Jewel said she believed it was hotter the year we built our house than it is now. I said I thought it might be because we're sitting in a shade. The summer of 68 was a hot one & our land only had trees on the creek. We moved in before winter of 68 and worked most every night finishing out rooms. We have always had a pay as you go attitude, but this was one thing that the more we chewed the bigger it got. The then picture was taken sometime in 1970 because the car is Jewel's 1970 Pontiac Bonneville and my 1968 Chevy truck. The now picture was taken today, Jewel is in her chair. Jewel used to tell people that I would run the extension ladder up to the highest point and she would climb up & paint. The then picture would have been taken from what is now the edge of Jim and Teresa's front yard.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Then and now
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
The fruit of your early labors----very nice!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Thank you Rabbit, we worked hard on this house along with our jobs. I always took a vacation during Christmas because Jewel would be out of school for Christmas break. We had a bathroom usable, I had paneled Jimmy's room with unfinished birch , he was in the 8th grade and was a very good helper , working with his Mother they got his room ready. During that week I built cabinets . Each corner is mitered, each piece was nailed into place as they were cut. These are built with 3/4" birch, Jewel stained & finished them out. The finish in the picture is what she did before school started back. Would we under take to do something like this again--not only no but----no.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
Monroe---I would not have undertaken it EVER! Wonderful that y'all could do such great work!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
at that time I was a lead tech. , something like a service man's service man, during the summer the hours were long at times and I didn't come in until after dark Jewel would have a good bit done and cooked on a little two burner stove I had rigged up. We were getting bogged down with the house I could tape & bed but becoming overwhelmed. One evening an old car pulled up, the elderly fellow came to the door, called me by name, told me his. I then knew who he was but the first time of meeting him. He came in looked around and said Monroe I'm retired, live by myself, not out looking for very much work but I'll do all this mud work and spray these ceilings for you. Jewel nor I could believe how little he wanted. He said let me do one room & if you ain't pleased you don't owe me nothing. We still have the same work he blew on the ceilings. He not only did very good work but listened to Jewel describe how she wanted the cabinets and paneling finished but didn't know what to do. He not only told her what to do but spent one afternoon showing her. I tried to pay him a little more than he wanted but he refused, He said my family would have starved to death if it hadn't been for your grandpa. He was referring to my Mother's Dad. Popa Johnson owned the Poetry Grocery store back when the old painter was a kid. He had a funny story he told us when my Mom was  born. His Dad had sent him to the store for a few things, the door was open , but no one was there. He said he saw Mr. Johnson in the field out back plowing, I hollered that I was to get a few things, Mr. Johnson said "Doug get what you want & write it down on the tablet, my wife is running a little late this morning, she had triplets last night".

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
What goes around comes around in life----thank heavens! Know he was a Godsend, Monroe.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »
everything slowly started coming together and finally the inside was about finished sometime in 1970--- except---light fixtures. I installed white light sockets & screwed in a bulb, we had plenty of light. The company I worked for had a large lighting dept, but even at a fair discount we couldn't afford what we wanted. Now was the time for another miracle which happened. Kitchen Aid had a major dishwasher problem with a water pressure switch, our company had sold lots of these to the builders , the service manager was wringing his hands over what to do. I overheard him tell the Co. President there was no way his service dept. could handle this. I had over two weeks vacation coming, I tried to talk to the service mgr but he was one of those kind who couldn't make a decision. I went straight to the President & told him I would take my vacation & do those switch change outs for the money Kitchen Aid paid. Jewel came to the store, started pulling files, calling & setting up appoints for me. I started running calls as early as 7AM & quit around 9PM. We got them all. In just a little over two weeks Jewel & I had a little over $2000 dollars coming in from Kitchen Aid. In about 18 months after that I walked into the Presidents office and walked out as Service Manager. I show a picture of the light fixture style we wanted and bought, this one is over the dinning room table.