Author Topic: cucuzzi squash  (Read 5162 times)

Offline alwaystj9

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: cucuzzi squash
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 09:46:46 AM »
I'll look into the stucco netting. I thought about leaning a fence panel against the old swing set but I hate to give up a fence panel for the season. My seeds came from a guy at work who is related to some family that grows cucuzzi professionally...which sounds kind of weird. I have never even seen a live cucuzzi in person, every year I try something new -- a little garden strange.
USDA Zone 8B/9A

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
Please excuse ma ignorance, but isn't that the pale flat round squash kinda like a bumpy flying saucer?   

Online nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
Christopher cordaro in ruston , la. [I think] has worlds largest  commercial cucuzza farm in world .. google cucuzza and should find his web site. even have a song about cucuzza on his site...  they come in different shapes and sizes .. the ones I have are club shaped , one I let grow fell off vine after frost .. it was 28 inches long and 24 inches around at bottom.. best picked 12 to 18 in. cordardo's grow long and skinny like a hot dog.. can eat with seeds if they are picked smaller.. my vines grew up trellis 6 ft. and than down cattle panels 16 ft. and added an old ladder 8 ft long and they wanted more.. planted after hot spell last year. they love hot weather from what I heard.. planting this year in a big pot by middle of fence in front yard about 20 ft. each way. they are getting ready to climb now , leaves as big as dinner plate.

Online nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
man I got my seeds from in fordache , his grow down fence ,on  the ground , up trees 15 20 ft. tall.. don't know how long one would eventually get

Online nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Please excuse ma ignorance, but isn't that the pale flat round squash kinda like a bumpy flying saucer?
  the one I have is a pale green and smooth skin. cucuzza supposed to mean Italian squash  , I believe

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »

What you are describing is Patty Pan squash.  Cuccuza squash are long and slender, Some are long but big around at the bottom.  Google them.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
LakeRat, check your messages. I would like to see some recipes to make with Cucuzzi. Anybody have a good one to share?

Thanks,

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
this site has 11.  apparently you can use it just like you would zucchini.

http://www.food.com/search/cucuzza

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
i am excited to report that the cucuzza growing on the lattice on my porch are growing!  i am going to let one or 2 get to a couple feet and then pick.  one i want to leave and let it grow to see how long it grows.   :P

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
I grew those for a couple of years. They grow fast and spread fast. My trellis was the cheap 8' landscape post from HD, I set the post in the ground about 20'' paralleled them about 4' apart then about 10'  apart down about 50' at the garden's edge then   used cheap 3/8 rope zig zagged from the post to post top real tight. I sent seeds to someone on the forum but the name escapes me. They do get lots of attention

Monroe

Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
i have a question on saving cucuzza seeds.   i had several little female flowers show up, but only 2 grew.  the second one ended up getting picked small because it was on the same vine with the 1st one and growing super slow. i think the big was was taking all the nutrition.

anyway, i did end up with 1 big cucuzza with a larger end that had full sized seeds in it.  i did scrape out the seeds and just rinsed then dried them.  once they dried out i bagged them up and have kept them. (we ate the cucuzza a few ways.  it was pretty good.)  the bugs and powdery mildew did get the vines after i had already pulled the big one, so i am done for the season with cucuzza.

my question is, what are the odds the seeds will be viable?  i just rinsed and dried them out since we wanted to eat the cucuzza and not let it dry out on the vine. 

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
I'll let you know in a few days if they'll sprout. I did the same thing and just planted a few to rest germination.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
cool!  thanks ragun!

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
any luck on getting them to sprout ragun?

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »
Nothing yet.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 07:50:37 AM »
well, i did cut off at ground level and pull down the old vines that had died off during the heat.  oddly, once the heat broke, i had another vine start up again.  it is already at the top of the lattice.  i know it will die since it is getting very cold here at night now, but so far it has not.  there are many flowers on it, but they are teeny-tiny.  it is cool to see it growing though. 

any luck on germinating the seeds you saved ragun?   i kept mine and put them away anyway.  i figure if i plant some next year and they grow...all the better.  if not, i still have a few left i did not plant this year.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »
They didn't germinate yet and I don't think they will. Good Luck with yours, it doesn't hurt to try.

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 02:51:00 AM »
Seeds From Italy is a great web site for Italian seeds.  Price is right too....Just be aware - the seed packages will arrive in aluminum foil packages with the information on them written in Italian.  Quick shippers.    Bill