Author Topic: Got any good, helpful information/tips/ideas/advice that will help us ?  (Read 8534 times)

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Got any good, helpful information/tips/ideas/advice that will help us ?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 03:42:19 AM »
Did you know if you push both of the end tabs in on  a box of aluminum foil, it will keep it from coming out of the box?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/tipsandtricks/aluminum-foil-boxes-have-a-mind-blowing-secret-feature/ar-BBF0nGN?li=BBgdrt0&ocid=ientp
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:44:45 PM by crazyhorse »

woodchip gardener

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
the dresser in my daughter's room broke and we replaced it.  the broken dresser frame was put out by the curb but i saved a couple of the drawers.  i saw a posting online that if you spray paint the insides and hang them on the wall you can make them display shelves or storage.  i sprayed the drawers white and hung 2 up in the back room one higher up over the bed and one lower on the wall sort of to be a side table height sort of thing.  one has misc knick knacks on them and the other has some extra blankets tucked in to it.  the top has a small lamp and a couple of magazines on there for guests to read if they can't sleep. 

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
G'day All,
I did a similar thing to Chipper with recycling  the old draws from a chest of draws, &I also used some 120 year old house siding a neighbor was turfing out,. They are now a set of 6 nesting boxes in Fowelcatraz .& I haven't heard one of the girls complain yet.
      Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
Woodchip and Tazzy--Now those are great ideas---and recycling is so much better than just throwing stuff out!! 

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »
I agree.
It is good to make good use of something  that was headed to the trash dump.
Winner all the way.
Thanks for sharing the good ideas.

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
I have been reading "  baking soda uses" and thought this might help some one.

Best Uses for Baking Soda
For Health
•Add baking soda to your bath water to relieve sunburned or itchy skin.
•Make a paste of baking soda and water, and apply to a burn or an insect bite for relief.
•If you crave sweets, rinse your mouth with one-teaspoon baking soda dissolved in a glass of warm water. Don’t swallow the mixture; spit it out. Your craving should disappear instantly.
•To remove pesticides, dirt, and wax from fresh fruits and vegetables, wash them in a large bowl of cool water to which you’ve added two to three tablespoons of baking soda.

In the Kitchen
•Clean your refrigerator with a solution of one-teaspoon baking soda to one quart of warm water.
•Pour a cup of baking soda into the opening of your clogged drain and then add a cup of hot vinegar.
  After a few minutes, flush the drain with a quart of boiling water.
•To remove stains from your coffee and tea cups, wipe them with a damp sponge dipped in baking soda paste.
•Boil two inches of water in a pan with a burned bottom, turn off the heat, then add half a cup of baking soda. Let it sit overnight. In the morning it will be easy to clean.
•Sprinkle a teaspoon of baking soda on the bottom of your toaster oven to eliminate the burned smell from drippings and crumbs.

In the Bathroom
•Soak toothbrushes in baking soda and warm water overnight to clean bristles.
•Keep your rubber gloves dry and smelling good by sprinkling baking soda inside them. They’ll slip on more easily too!

On Clothing
•To remove perspiration stains, make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Rub paste into the stain, let it sit for an hour, and then launder as usual. Find out how to remove other common stains.
•Gasoline and oil odors can be removed by putting clothes in a trash bag with baking soda for a few days before washing them.

Miscellaneous Uses
•Add a pinch of baking soda to boiled syrup to prevent it from crystallizing.
•Lay down a barrier of baking soda under sink-pipe openings and along basement windows to keep carpenter ants, silverfish, and roaches from invading. Roaches eat the baking soda, dehydrate, and die.
•A light baking soda paste on a damp cloth will remove bugs and tar from cars without damaging the paint. Let paste sit for a few minutes before wiping and rinsing clean.
•Sprinkling baking soda on your front steps will provide traction and melt the ice. Unlike rock salt, kitty litter, or sand, it won’t damage outdoor or indoor surfaces or shoes.
•A paste of baking soda removes red sauce stains from plastic.

woodchip gardener

hi crazyhorse

thanks for the great tips!  the bug remover info will def help!  hub drives the highway everyday to go to work and sometimes i swear he must drive through a swarm of something.  they are all over the front end and headlights.  i am gonna try this! 

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Thanks Crazyhorse.....can vouch for the one for bites. Used a paste of  it on a spider bite that swelled up HUGELY on my arm. Went down to nothing in no time....great stuff!!

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Keep an  eye on those pets.
Dog thought to have cancer had eaten 4 teddy bears.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dog-feared-cancer-had-actually-141715388.html

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
OMGOSH!!!!!!  Poor doggie!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Thank you Mr Horse. It will be nice to try this out on the work clothes that sometimes smell of diesel.  The other hints are great too. :)
Central Mississippi

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Ms Judy, I hope it works on the diesel, it is hard to remove the diesel smell.
Hope all is well on your end.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Thank you Mr Horse. :)  I will be glad to try this "cure"  the next time I get it on my favorite work clothes.  You know how it is when you start to grease something... before  I know it, its all over me.  Diesel is the same way when I clean parts. haha     judy
Central Mississippi

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
Thanks so much! Didn't know about the red sauce on plastic ware. Going to try that.

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Mrs PK, I hope it works for you.
I hope all is well on you end.

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
Crazyhorse,

Thanks for asking. I'm finally getting my garden planted and the weather is beautiful. I'm content and happy!

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Crazyhorse eggs are good on the shelf for 58 days as I recall, an I would bet that 99% of folks couldn't tell how fresh eggs are by taste.  Also the older the egg the easier it is to peel if your boiling eggs, so fresher is not always best.   The government did a great disservice to the public when they started putting "best before" dates on many things.  I know folks that will not eat canned goods of the best by date is over a month away, an even  worse for fresh food an meat products.  Some food is good to have information on when it should be used, but not all foods.    On the flip side I cleaned out my moms spices an one of the containers expired in 2001!   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Natural Mosquito bite repellent and bite remedies.

They are here , hope this helps.

https://www.almanac.com/content/how-deter-mosquitoes-and-treat-bug-bites