Author Topic: Catfishing  (Read 615 times)

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Catfishing
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
PD-Riverman, I live in SC also and like to set lines. The only thing that frustrates me is the regulations we have here regarding trot lines, jug lines and set hooks or as some call bush hooks. The hook gap requirement I ran into at Lake Marion about stopped me but I have since found a hook that meets the gap requirement.
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:14 AM »
PD-Riverman, I live in SC also and like to set lines. The only thing that frustrates me is the regulations we have here regarding trot lines, jug lines and set hooks or as some call bush hooks. The hook gap requirement I ran into at Lake Marion about stopped me but I have since found a hook that meets the gap requirement.

Yea, that hook gap will cost you!! Its smaller now(15/16) than 20 years ago(1 3/16). I still mainly use 10 alt Mustad J hooks but did get some 9 alt(a few weeks ago)---some kind of hook---forgot the name---they are not circle but seem to work fine. Not as strong but nothing I am catching is straightening them out---LOL.

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
Hello RAT, how you doing. I hope to get up there and try my luck on the white perch. I hear my friend Josh is moving from the lake to Monroe. He's not a happy camper but a man has to do what he has to do. He said he will keep his place at the lake for week ends and such

PD, what river are you fishing in. I used to visit SC often  in the area just south of Charleston where my wife had some relatives. We haven't been in a while as they have all passed away.
'gene"

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
Thanks Paw Paw, I had not heard about Josh Moving, That will be a Big Lost to this Lake, I passed his place today and wondered why his Garden was not growing some Fall Crops, If U Get Up this way, stop by i have something for U

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 03:30:32 AM »
Hello RAT, how you doing. I hope to get up there and try my luck on the white perch. I hear my friend Josh is moving from the lake to Monroe. He's not a happy camper but a man has to do what he has to do. He said he will keep his place at the lake for week ends and such

PD, what river are you fishing in. I used to visit SC often  in the area just south of Charleston where my wife had some relatives. We haven't been in a while as they have all passed away.
'gene"

Little Pee Dee, because its within miles from me---6 different boat landings with in 15/20 minutes and several more within 30 minutes. Matter of Fact---its 4:30 am here and I am fixing to go take up my hooks---hope I got a few.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 06:41:32 AM »
Well I made it back about 7am(my time), only caught 4 catfish---one about 25lbs and the others were between 5lb and 10lb. Caught a mudfish(bowfin) probably close 10lb---my Mother will want to stew him. Something tore up one of my lines---completely gone other than where it was attached---maybe a alligator??

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
Well PD >< U sure have enough to Eat for a while, How do U cook your catfish, do U fry them all, or use some in other ways?

U said that U caught 4 Catfish, How many hooks did U have set?

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
Well PD >< U sure have enough to Eat for a while, How do U cook your catfish, do U fry them all, or use some in other ways?

U said that U caught 4 Catfish, How many hooks did U have set?

Rat

Most of the time I do around 25, some times 35, this last trip I did around 20---the most so far was 46---my Son went with me on that trip---50 is all I can set---legal. I would probably catch a lot more if I would wait until dark to bait the hooks. Most of the time 99% to 100% of the hooks set---that do not have a fish on it---have no bait on them---we have a lot of gars, mudfish, turtles, etc that steal the bait. I have a lot in the freezer---in quart bags---we nugget a lot, fried with French fries, I like to filet the fish, then cut the thicker filets into thin filets and fry them. We are going to bake a few of those filets---just to do it different.  Not this trip but the two trips before---one man took all them---about 35lbs of nuggets and filets---bagged separate---2lbs per bag.

That "mudfish"(bowfin) weighed 12 1/2lbs. My Mother gave it to my Aunt---she was going to make a "mudfish stew" with her(her because she had a lot of eggs). I do not eat fish stew.

Edited to add---one fishing trip/set---I just turned all 5 loose---a elderly friend jumped all over me(kinda) telling me to never turn them a loose---feed them to the buzzards if I do not want them-just don't turn them loose. He is a bream/red breast fisherman and these catfish have about wiped them out in my local rivers.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:21:54 PM by PD-Riverman »

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
That's the way i cut most of the Large filet, into smaller strips, they fry up very well cut like this >< sometimes I like to cut some of the 5# up like pork chops ( Catfish steaks) my wife & I Like them fried like this On The Bone we call it, down here we some times cook up a Catfish Gravy, called ( Catfish Courtbouillon ) that is served over rice, for that i use steaks off of 5# plus, bone in, the bones are larger,U don't let anyone mess with the pot after U add the catfish steaks, it best to let the cook serve the Plates, They know how the the steaks are laying in the gravy, The Bone adds a lot of flavor to the dish, that's some good eating

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
I will have to try the catfish steaks!! I sold the last catch I dressed/bagged. My Aunt made the "mud-fish stew" using about 1/2 of that Big girl. Several of them eat some of it and loved it---as always.

I wanted to go set this evening---rain, cold and more rain tomorrow. Take a Break I guess until Friday evening---maybe--LOL. I got my older boat (I built in 1985) repaired and painted---last coat of paint yesterday, bought a small outboard this week to go on it(stored the 50 Mercury that was on it--to big and heavy to go where I want to check out)---hope to test it out soon---then put the running lights back on it and get it set-up for catfishing in the lakes that I can not get my new boat in---might not be any catfish in them lakes worth messing with. They have deeper water than a lot of places on the main river. I will use this old/new set-up/boat to do some bass fishing early spring if for nothing else. I run a Jigger Pole(well I did in the 1980's and early 90's--have not done that since) so I need a smaller boat that maneuvers easy with a trolling motor. Keep in mind other than a few short camping trips 10 to 15 years ago--I really have not done any fishing for over 25 years until the last three months.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
Hi PD >< It sounds like U are about ready to GO, I hope U enjoy your smaller motor >< I have a boat that i leave in the Lake all the time, it a Tracker with stick steering with a 50 Mer. 4 stroke. it don't get used much, when I retired i bought a used 14 ft. alum. boat with a 36 in. bottom. it came with what i call a Old Mans  motor. it has a 1986 15 hp. Elect start Eve. the Motor was  15 years old when i bought it, but had very few hours,

since then I have sold the 14 ft.x 36 in. Boat I found a 14 ft x 42 in Alweld Boat. It is much more stable for a Old Man to fish from, 99% of the time i am fishing by my self,  when i first retired I took a old boat trailer and made it into a super trailer for what is do, many times i put my boat in behind the levee  pulling in with my 4 wheeler, I change out the axle and put wide flotation tires on it, that's so the trailer does not sink into the muck, I also fixed the tong of the trailer so it can be scope out a extra 8 ft. that has really worked well for me many times, i can scope the tong out and launch the boat in deeper water, I also put guide post so the boat will come on the trailer straight >< this is the boat that i do 80% of my fishing from >< If i Knew how to Post a picture i would

I know U don't run trot lines, I always run the line from the center seat, depend on the wind and if there is any current which side of the line i am on, i am always on the left side of the Boat, there have been a number of times that i need to do something and could not because i didn't want to let go of the line >< I made a very simple thing that is mounted on the inside about the meddle of the seat, i drilled a 5/16 hole through the side of the Boat, and bingo i now can place the line there and not worry about the line getting away from me, i use a old #3 wash  tub setting in front part of the boat to place my catch, I keep a old long barrel 22 pistol one the seat behind me, any fish that want fit on the tub gets a 22 bullet, that stops all the fight, if i have a large soft shell turtle I do the same with them, i don't keep a soft shell unless it 20# or better, them things can flat pull on a trot line,

Happy Fishing PD

zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »
Hi PD >< It sounds like U are about ready to GO, I hope U enjoy your smaller motor >< I have a boat that i leave in the Lake all the time, it a Tracker with stick steering with a 50 Mer. 4 stroke. it don't get used much, when I retired i bought a used 14 ft. alum. boat with a 36 in. bottom. it came with what i call a Old Mans  motor. it has a 1986 15 hp. Elect start Eve. the Motor was  15 years old when i bought it, but had very few hours,

since then I have sold the 14 ft.x 36 in. Boat I found a 14 ft x 42 in Alweld Boat. It is much more stable for a Old Man to fish from, 99% of the time i am fishing by my self,  when i first retired I took a old boat trailer and made it into a super trailer for what is do, many times i put my boat in behind the levee  pulling in with my 4 wheeler, I change out the axle and put wide flotation tires on it, that's so the trailer does not sink into the muck, I also fixed the tong of the trailer so it can be scope out a extra 8 ft. that has really worked well for me many times, i can scope the tong out and launch the boat in deeper water, I also put guide post so the boat will come on the trailer straight >< this is the boat that i do 80% of my fishing from >< If i Knew how to Post a picture i would

I know U don't run trot lines, I always run the line from the center seat, depend on the wind and if there is any current which side of the line i am on, i am always on the left side of the Boat, there have been a number of times that i need to do something and could not because i didn't want to let go of the line >< I made a very simple thing that is mounted on the inside about the meddle of the seat, i drilled a 5/16 hole through the side of the Boat, and bingo i now can place the line there and not worry about the line getting away from me, i use a old #3 wash  tub setting in front part of the boat to place my catch, I keep a old long barrel 22 pistol one the seat behind me, any fish that want fit on the tub gets a 22 bullet, that stops all the fight, if i have a large soft shell turtle I do the same with them, i don't keep a soft shell unless it 20# or better, them things can flat pull on a trot line,

Happy Fishing PD

Thanks Mr LakeRat1. We have to do/modify where it works best for us.

I did buy a trot line tag and might set it soon. I really want to make me a heavy duty trot line first. Most of the store bought ones I do not think will handle many 25/35/45lb cats---LOL.

I was sitting here tonight----trying to figure out what I need to use in the boat to keep the catch in---I am leaning towards a 150qt cooler, but I might still use the cut down 55 gallon barrel??? Have to wait until I get it set back up and see what kind of room I will have.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »
When I was considerably younger, I lived in the far northeast corner of Texas. We primarily did our cat fishing on the Sulpher River close to Naples, Texas. In the spring and early summer, the river would flood due to heavy rains and that was prime time. Catfish would bite the best when the river was on the rise or during its fall. The same trot lines that would be loaded with fish would have none once the river peaked and there was no rise or fall. Once it started back down, the bite was back on.

We used whatever bait we could hustle up. When we had Catawlba worms, they were the best and one year we got some really small green crawfish and the cats loved them. We used ivory soap, blood from the locker plant, cut bait and worms. When the fish were biting we would load the freezer. Typically we would set eight lines we made that had twenty five hooks each. Once the lines were set and baited we would fish with rods and reels. We also noticed that we caught more fish at night. We would run the lines every morning and always had more fish than when we ran them in the evening.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
Some Years back, i first started with light weight store bought trot lines, they were not strong enough for the way i was fishing >< so i bought some heavy Line & made up 2 trot lines, one is 500 ft, the other is 400 ft. they will reach across the Pits where i set, There is a place in Jonesville La. that sells all types of Fishing Supplies, mostly to Commercial Fishermen, I sure give me a good source to chose from><  I use the cheapest hot dogs i can find, I watch for them to be put on sale for less than a dollar a pack, I buy a good supply them >< i cut them into about 3/4 in. bait, >< the river fish will hit just about anything

If i were to try that here in the Lake the bait would rot off the hook, to catch catfish here in The Lake i use shiners, I never set a trot line in the Lake, when fishing catfish in the lake, I use either Noodles and yoyos, this lake is full of small channel Catfish

Double B >< U are sure right about the way catfish bit, the current sure has a effect on it, its Been Years since it saw a Catawlba worm, I think in the farming areas they were killed off from all the crops being sprayed for Bugs, I see a few Catawlba  trees around my area, but i never see them with any worms, Bream also Love Catawlba worms

Rat

zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
Rat,

We had some a couple of huge catawlba trees and they would load up with worms around May. I had a twenty foot cane pole to knock them out and you always wanted to wear your worst cap and shirt because the green juice form the worms would ruin your clothes.

We tried taking some of our worms and putting them on other trees that had none to get them started but that never worked. Our trees were close to the house so no pesticides were ever sprayed near them.

Those were the good ole days!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
I have not noticed a difference in the catch if the river is flooded or low. I went one evening after a big rain up river from me---when I got to the landing---it was partly covered with water---maybe 3ft or more higher than normal---I just went back home----the next day I said I am going to try it---went and the water was even higher---set some hooks and had a good catch that night. Some weeks later the water dropped out way lower---boat motor was hitting sand bars---some places were to low to go down river and to low to go up river--not passable so I set in a couple lakes of the river---Had good luck. So I been experimenting---seeing if the deeper lakes have Catfish of any size in them. My main river is very shallow when the water is low--not passable---ankle deep all the way across in places, but some of the lakes I have found up to 20ft deep. Some lakes I can not get to because my new boat is to wide and heavy---which is one reason for fixing up my older narrow boat---to see whats in those lakes?? Having fished in them years back---I know they are a lot deeper than most of the river--who knows---there might be a 50 or 60lber in there waiting for me---LOL.

We planted 2 catawlba worm tree's 2 years ago---one did not live---the other is not very big yet---I have not done any research to see how long before we might see some worms on it. I use to help my GrandMother collect the worms years ago---she would freeze them and use them for her bream bait---she caught a lot of bream.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »
PD,

We had a basket that was homemade and would put the leaves from the tree in there so the worms could continue to feed and would stay alive for a few days. We also figured out that if we blanched the worms, they froze better. Just a quick dip in boiling water and then into the ice and onto the freezer preserved them.

We also do a little hand fishing form time to time. We have some boxes in the lake and it is a lot of fun with a lot of anxiety too sticking your hand in one. Here are a couple of pics that are a few years old. The first one with two of my grandsons weighed 50 lbs and the next one is my son in law with one that weighed 65 lbs. We release these huge fish because the boxes with have millions of eggs in them and feel that to preserve the resource, we don't keep any over 50 lbs.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
PD,

We had a basket that was homemade and would put the leaves from the tree in there so the worms could continue to feed and would stay alive for a few days. We also figured out that if we blanched the worms, they froze better. Just a quick dip in boiling water and then into the ice and onto the freezer preserved them.

We also do a little hand fishing form time to time. We have some boxes in the lake and it is a lot of fun with a lot of anxiety too sticking your hand in one. Here are a couple of pics that are a few years old. The first one with two of my grandsons weighed 50 lbs and the next one is my son in law with one that weighed 65 lbs. We release these huge fish because the boxes with have millions of eggs in them and feel that to preserve the resource, we don't keep any over 50 lbs.

I do not think my GM blanched hers, but she did have a turning stick---she cut them in half and turned them inside out before putting on the hook.

The Catfish---I will fish for them in the boat---if that's OK?? LOL

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
35 degree's when I left home this morning---Only caught 4 catfish---biggest about 12lbs and 1 mudfish---lots of bait stealers. Every hook had the bait off but these 5 and 2 more, Those 2 had a bait fish about as big as your hand on them. Better Luck Next time.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
PD >< U did it the Right way, Get the Stuff out and go see if they will bite, No way to check that setting in The Easy Chair, there have been times when I though i was wasting my time, and Had a Nice Surprise, I remember one time Years ago, 4 of us went fishing, the Plan was to fish that evening, spend the night at the Camp, get up the next morning, fish and head home about noon >< well that evening it was so hot, and didn't catch enough fish for supper, we all Had a Fig & Butter Sandwich & a Glass of cold milk and went to bed

Next morning I was ready to head Home, one of the guys begged us to lets fish this morning before breaking camp, >< Well the Guy i was fishing with decided we should go to a spot he had
caught fish before, after a couple hrs. of nothing, we moved out to a channel between a couple lakes, while we were sitting and waiting for the other boat to come out, I tied on a worm with a weedless hook, I flipped it out onto some lily pads, pulled it just a bit, it slide off the lily pad and started so slowly sink, Bam something hit it, i jerked my bait back, My fishing buddy said what was that, I said i don't Know, i tossed it back, and did the same thing, only this time I let what every it was have it for a few sec. when i set the hook i had a 3# bass, threw it back, some thing, My Buddy rigged up like me and we just kept catching about the same size fish, when the other boat got there, the fell in behind us, both boats filled there ice chest, I had to work the next day, they went back 2 more day and filled up on 3# bass only along that one channel/shoot connecting a couple big shallow lakes off the Red River >< Bass is not at the top of my pick for fish to eat

Rat

zone 8
Concordia Parish La.