Author Topic: FIGS  (Read 4630 times)

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: FIGS
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
OT those are LSU Golds, no doubt. That looks like a super productive tree that has clusters on it much like my Cajun Gold. Take care of your neighbor, he has a "gold" mine in that tree.
"gene"

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
Gene - It's funny; the neighbor doesn't do anything for the fig tree.  He doesn't water it, fertilize it, prune it, etc.  The tree has to pretty much survive on its own, and yet it seems to do well each year.  The quality of the figs can vary depending on the weather, but it always loads up.  And, I benefit from it since the neighbor doesn't particularly like figs.  I usually get all I want to snack on, and the birds get their fair share. 
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
OT that's the wonderful thing about Fig trees. They don't need much care. If they are planted in halfway decent soil  they're set and sounds like you are set too since you get to reap the benefits.
"gene"

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
Gene

Another fig question.  This fig started as a 5 inch cutting this prior winter.  I don't know the variety, but the "mother tree" produces figs similar to a Celeste.  The cutting is now 5 ft tall, and needs to be transplanted into the ground, I just haven't gotten around to it.  Regardless, I'm curious as to why the trunk of the fig doesn't have a "woodier" look to it?  It still appears to be tender.  Is that normal? 

Thanks in advance.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
PS - Sorry for the sideways pic's.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Lots of times a newly started fig cutting will act like a sprout or sucker. It will shoot up tall and fast. It will for some time continue to grow but as summer comes to an end it will harden up. While it is dormant you will have to chop it's head off. Sounds cruel but it has to be done. I'd cut it at around 30 to 36 inches. You can save the top and make more cuttings and trees. In the spring when it awakens, watch it closely. you want only3 or 4 nicely spaced branches to grow close to the top. Once you decide which ones you will let grow, take all the rest off. Don't let any others grow. Soon you will have a beautiful 3 or 4 branched tree. It might even give you a fig or two. Next winter you need to prune the 3 or 4 branches back down to about 18 inches. The following spring it will produce a bunch of shoot. You need to do just like you did at the beginning, keep 3 or 4 on each branch and get rid of the rest. The following year you will have the most beautifully shaped tree you could imagine. From then on prune it to suit you taste or let it grow. You can keep it short for easy picking by topping it each winter to about 6 foot or you can let it grow to its full potential. The choice will be yours. Just remember you will not hurt it by pruning no matter how much you take off. Like with any tree, you need to take out branches that rub together or grow toward the inside of the tree and any dead or dying ones.
Good luck and by the way that is a healthy looking tree.
"gene"

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 05:32:30 AM »
Gene

I'm indebted.  I'll gladly top the tree this Fall/Winter and continue to keep it trimmed per your advice.  Thank you.

Offline BEEMAN

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »
Hello Paw Paw gene - Just wanted to check to see if you had any luck with the fig tree cutting I dropped off to you a few months ago. Did it grow? Also just wanted to let you know that the bees are still doing well. I normally rob honey the end of July but I had been bed ridden for about six weeks with back trouble. I had all kinds of tests done and different med and finally was sent to a physical therapist. I went to him for five sessions and he released me. I have not had any problems since, knock on wood. Hope to get to robbing honey by the first of August.
Help save the bees. They help feed us. Call a beekeeper.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
Hi AJ, I wanted to call you but lost you number. I will PM you my number. Please also send me yours.
"gene"