Author Topic: Pecan Trees Aborting  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Pecan Trees Aborting
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
While outside this morning, I noticed many of my pecan trees were shedding green pecans. I am not sure if this is due to the month long dry spell we have recently gone through or the two week rain event we are currently going through. Typically when a tree starts aborting the fruit, it is like a survival instinct. Anyone have any experience with this type of event?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

woodchip gardener

Re: Pecan Trees Aborting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
hi double b

i read up on this a bit and it seems pecans are pretty fussy trees.  while the web mentions some varieties drop their nuts every other year as part of a cycle (they call it alternate bearing), there were tons of reasons listed that your trees could be dropping their nuts.

it seems you are on the right track with the water issue.  both drought and excess water can cause pecans to drop nuts.  the water may also cause nutrient loss which would cause the tree to do it too.   it says if your tree is not watered during drought conditions then it can effect the tree through the rest of that and the following season.  it also mentioned too much water or standing water can cause root rot and cut down the trees ability to get nutrients.

here are a few good resources for you.  this paragraph seemed to sum up most of them

There are numerous causes of premature pecan drop. Some varieties such as 'Desirable' shed naturally. Poor pollination results in a drop from June through July. Planting several varieties helps reduce the poor pollination drop problem. A small insect known as the pecan nut casebearer is the cause of pecan shedding at three different periods of the year; mid-May, July and on rare occasions in late August. This drop is easy to identify because there is a small hole in the base of the pecan. Water stress can also result in pecan drop. Ideally pecans should be watered every two weeks. Three weeks without water is the maximum. Nutritional problems from shallow soil or poor fertilization can cause pecans to shed throughout the year. Water stage in later July and early August is the most common form of pecan drop. As the nuts move from size development into kernel formation the pecan sheds very easily. Any stress received by the tree at this stage can result in major fruit drop. Some trees can lose up to one half of its crop if not properly managed during water stage.

this one is about growing in texas.  note the paragraph that says too much water can cause root rot

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/fact-sheets/evaluating-pecan-problems/

http://www.texaspecantrees.com/Homeowners_guide_to_growing_pecan_trees.html

the effect of flooding on pecan trees
http://blog.extension.uga.edu/pecan/2014/04/effects-of-flooding-on-pecan-trees/

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »
Thanks Michelle,

Some interesting reads for sure. I think that our trees have experienced nearly all of those symptoms in the last two years. We had 100" of rain last year and we are well above 60" this year. In these two years, we have also had drought like conditions with scorching temperatures that will last a month and I know that is hard on pecan trees. Watering them is cost prohibitive because I have about fifty mature trees spread out over four acres and frankly during the dry periods, I am constantly watering the blueberries, apple trees and lemons and the gardens.

The Desireable variety is one of the least desirable pecan trees in my opinion because of its sensitive nature to nearly every disease. Hopefully all of the nuts won't fall off prematurely because we really enjoy and rely on these trees. 
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline dahoss2002

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 02:35:54 AM »
Im in Bossier City. The last weeks rains have knocked down lots of nuts and the squirrels have begun their cutting. I still have a decent crop as yet. If every pecan my trees had set in May were still on the trees, the trees would have shed all their limbs from the weight. Some nuts will not make it all the way to harvest but that is normal. do you still have plenty in the mast? I have lost whole crops due to dry conditions but I think we got the moisture in time this year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:47:59 AM by dahoss2002 »

Offline dahoss2002

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:46:56 AM »

The Desireable variety is one of the least desirable pecan trees in my opinion because of its sensitive nature to nearly every disease. Hopefully all of the nuts won't fall off prematurely because we really enjoy and rely on these trees.
I only have two Desirable trees left and one is so close to the woods the squirrels gettem all. The other one usually produces some real nice large pecans. Mine are also about 50 years old. My Moreland trees are loaded but I lost 5 of those trees to R.O.W. earlier this year. I do not see many pecans on my Stuarts, but the Candy trees are loaded although they are small but tasty.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
Thanks for your input dahoss,

Yes I do have some in the mast but there seems to be an usual amount being shed. This won't be a banner year but I hope to make plenty for us, family and friends. The Stuart's are some of my favorites and it is strange how some trees are loaded and some are bare in the same year.

I have kept my squirrel population down to a bare minimum but new ones show up from time to time. The dogs keep a vigilant eye out for them. I am not familiar with the Candy variety but the smaller pecans have much more oil and are typically better tasting. I hope you get a good harvest too.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
  I have not had this problem with my "Desirable" pecan tree but my friend Possum out on Toledo Bend told me just two days ago his is dropping green pecans. 

Thanks for the info.  I will  pass it on.

Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »
This is a topic from last year that I am just now catching up with.
Can any of you pecan guys update your harvest this past fall? I know it was a very bad year here in South OK and most speculation was either too much water in the spring or poor pollination due to still winds during the two week pollination period in the spring.
Whatever the reason, the crop for all the big growers I've talked to didn't even both harvesting. A good friend has about a dozen huge old trees around his house and they don't even like pecans so I get all of his. Actually planned a family outing to harvest back in November that I had to cancel due to absolutely NO pecans on his trees or other secret harvesting places.
Pecans are like gold around here. I've never planted any due to the long time it takes from planting to first crop.
So, how did everyone else do in other parts of the country?
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »
Okie,

We made some pecans from some of our "less likely" trees this year. What I mean by that is the largest of the trees with the largest nuts had the worst pecans. One tree close to my small garden has small round pecans and they were the best of all our trees. It was a dismal harvest all in all but we got several paper grocery bags worth of nuts to shell out so we have a couple gallons of shelled and cleaned pecans. Usually we have enough for all our friends and family to get all they want but not this year.

My wife and I were out in Fredericksburg in the fall and the owners of the candy and sweet shops didn't have a lot of their specialty treats because there were no pecans to be had. Like you said, the farms didn't have enough mast on the ground to bother and harvest. Hopefully this will be much different this year.

P.S. Okiebob,
Boo put a video of a pecan cracker a guy makes and I bought two of them. They are the fastest hand cracker known to man. They don't care what size the nut is and work like a champ. I wear gloves with mine because the ends get tough on your hands after a while but they do native pecans as easy as paper shells. You sure need one of thos ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:31:19 AM by Double B »

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 06:14:27 AM »
BB I saw that cracker but, since we only have natives around here it's so easy to just drop them off at one of several places that process pecans and for 50 cents a pound they crack and blow the pecans for me. Normally do it in a day. And they are right on my way in to town.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.