Author Topic: Meyer Lemon Blooming  (Read 3691 times)

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Meyer Lemon Blooming
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:50:48 AM »
My small, Meyer lemon is setting blooms, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.  Google tells me that the Meyers bloom in cycles year-round, including in the fall/winter.  We still have our coldest weather ahead, and, yes, we do get freezes in southeast Texas.  My tendency is to not worry about the blooms, and let Mother Nature have her due.  The tree is only a year old, so I'm not sure I should let it produce fruit anyway.

For those with Meyer lemon experience, what are your thoughts/advice.  Thanks in advance.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Lemon Blooming
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »
Orange,

I don't know that there is much you can do with the blooms but my two year old Improved Meyer Lemon has ripe lemons on it that I will pick this week. I pulled off all of the lemons except twelve because I didn't want my branches to break or for the tree to focus all of its attention to production instead of growth.

One thing for sure that we both need to do is to wrap the trees this week. Our forecast here around Crosby called for 30 degrees Thursday night and that will most likely kill any young unprotected trees. On the blooms, I would let them run their course and select a few lemons to stay and pull some that your young tree cannot handle. Maybe someone with more citrus experience will chime in.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
Double B gave very good advice.   
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
YEP x3. This front coming Thursday will nip it in the bud. Maybe the frost will make it straighten up and bloom right.

Offline Possum

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
The LSU Agcenter recommends pulling the fruit off of young citrus to promote tree growth rather than spend energy making fruit.
 Personally I have tried it both ways with removing fruit from young trees or just letting nature take it's course. In my opinion there was very little difference.
It's just the nature of lemons to flower at different times of the year even in early winter. If we have a warm winter the fruit will remain on the tree to mature in spring. My tree is 12 years old and I will have flowers , young fruit and mature fruit in the same year.
 One thing NOT to do is fertilize after August 1st. Fertilizer past August promotes new vegetation and flowers that are susceptible to cold damage.

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
My tree had blooms this time last year and then in the spring too, all made lemons.  Its is very full now even though I have picked 2  5 gal. buckets off.  Maybe it is not blooming now because it has lemons.   I don't worry about freezing for my satsuma.   I would cover other citrus trees if it is going to get down to 25.   The root stock is a wild citrus that can take way colder. 

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
Thanks to all for their input.  It's appreciated. I'll do my best to wrap/protect the lemon and its sister satsuma next to it.  I'm now hearing weather forecasts of potential 29 degree temps for Thursday night/Friday morning. OUCH.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
The lemon is less cold hardy than the satsuma, so I would try give it more protection from the cold. 
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
The weather forecasters have gone from 30 to 34 and tonight they said Thursday night would be 32. Either way, I am going to wrap my Meyer Lemon just to be safe. I have wanted one of these trees for a long time so I am going to do what I can to protect it. I think the rest of my stuff will be okay but I am will be watching the forecast just to be sure. It is pretty accurate where I live.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 11:07:59 PM »
I pulled off most of the lemons last spring, leaving only six to ripen on my (now) 2-yr.-old tree.  First fruits.  No blooms yet.  Last year this time, it was covered with blooms. 

I'll bring the large planter into the garage tomorrow.  Or not.  Just remembered I can pull it into a corner under the covered patio and put a hoop over it.  Drape lightweight moving blankets over the hoop, and build a shelter around it...it'll be fine overnight.  ;) ;)
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
Just remembered I forgot to wrap my Meyer Lemon Tree....Supposed to be 34 tonight....Hope the wind break keeps it alive....
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
I spent all that time wrapping mine in the high winds but it only hot down to 37 here. Hopefully yours is okay, GG.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
I checked it this morning, and, the Meyer Lemon tree SMILED at me, LOLOL!

Upon close inspection yesterday, I noticed there are tiny buds forming.  I think I need to pull off the six huge lemons, so the plant will think it needs to make more lemons.

Did a walkabout this morning, and everything looks quite happy.  Gonna toss more seeds out tomorrow, and install the last of the hoops and covers.  Long as everything is covered, I'm good.  The covers prevent the white moths from laying eggs to hatch next spring.  No leaf access = no egg-laying = no cabbage worms in the springtime!  That's the real reason I keep my raised beds covered. 

Nothing nicer than picking greens that DON'T have holes all over them.

Hugs, ya'll!

Hugs!

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
We are getting ready for our annual harvesting of our beloved lemon monster.  This is last years harvest.

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2016/02/lemony-pickins-series-of-unfortunate.html

To answer ya question in our big ole meyer lemon tree at any one time there is usually a few flowers a few baby lemons and a few ripening.  This time of year its full of ripening fruit and our anual harvest is the first week in Feb the expected freeze tonight is not bad enough to hurt them and makes them all the better when we harvest.

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
I don't have a meyer lemon tree, but a Lisbon. The tree is very young - about 5 years old. I'm running out of freezer space so I can my lemon juice using a water bath for 10 minutes. So far, I have 27 pints of juice and there's still about 100 lemons left on the tree. The grate the peel of the lemons before I juice them. Half the zest if frozen and half is dehydrated and ground up. Both are great for seasonings. My DH is loving all the lemon ice-box pies I've been making.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
My wife used to make sorbet with fresh lemon juice.  I don't have a recipe but if you have a little room in your freezer it is easy to make.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'll have to look for a recipe.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Hey Jo-Ann, good to see you posting. Give up the Lemon Pie recipe or a link. Please!!!! :) I looked at a few but do you have a favorite?

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Posted the recipe for Lemon Meringue Ice-Box Pie under the recipe section. This is an old favorite in my family - we've made it for the last 50 years. And so easy to make.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
I unwrapped my improved Meyer lemon today and it looks like the freeze smoked it. At only two years old, I wrap and try to protect it every time there is a chance of a freeze. I drove t posts from into the ground, put a quilt over it and a heavy Christmas tree bag over it with concrete on it to keep the wind off of it. I am curious if it is done or if there is a possibility it can make a comeback?