Author Topic: Meyer Lemon Blooming  (Read 3956 times)

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Lemon Blooming
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »
I don't have a meyer lemon tree, but a Lisbon. The tree is very young - about 5 years old. I'm running out of freezer space so I can my lemon juice using a water bath for 10 minutes. So far, I have 27 pints of juice and there's still about 100 lemons left on the tree. The grate the peel of the lemons before I juice them. Half the zest if frozen and half is dehydrated and ground up. Both are great for seasonings. My DH is loving all the lemon ice-box pies I've been making.
If ya'll come over Friday to welcome Bill/ Golpher Broke you are more than welcome to bring a Lemon Pie ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
Like Dan Gill (LSU Ag Center) always says, leave it alone until springtime & see what it does. It may make it. If it makes a comeback, be sure the new growth is above the grafting point.

I unwrapped my improved Meyer lemon today and it looks like the freeze smoked it. At only two years old, I wrap and try to protect it every time there is a chance of a freeze. I drove t posts from into the ground, put a quilt over it and a heavy Christmas tree bag over it with concrete on it to keep the wind off of it. I am curious if it is done or if there is a possibility it can make a comeback?
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
Big B I had one that looked like that several years ago.  Dan Gill always says to wait a month or so after it warms up before giving it up for dead.  Meyers do well on their own roots and mine was.  It was about 4' tall by 5 wide and I did give up.  I planted some vining cowpeas with the idea to use it as a trellis.  The peas did well and in mid-June when I was cleaning up the old vines, I noticed a single green shoot coming out right beside the dead trunk.  In a couple years it was back in business. 

If you have any life left above the graft, don't give up.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
     I have a small Meyer lemon that I rooted from a cutting in spring of 2015. Only about 2' tall and 2' wide.  After the last freeze of winter I will plant in the ground.  It already put out 1 bloom, I pinched it off. Anyway I should get the soil prepared NOW. Crack the ground open with a garden fork, pile a foot of leaves on, add a bit of wood ash, and some cotton seed meal, leave it for 4-6 weeks that should do it.  Thank you to everyone who welcomed me,  I hope to learn from your experience and ideas.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*