Author Topic: 3 yr old peach tree  (Read 881 times)

Offline Tbone

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
3 yr old peach tree
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »
 First year with any flowers. What/when do I do now ?

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: 3 yr old peach tree
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
Pray you don't have a killing frost and loose the flowers.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
    Tbone..........  We also a 3 peach trees that are 3 years old. To give you any knowledge on them I cant . I'm learning as I go along. Where are you at in this great country. Also what verity of tree do you have ?

Trust me if youre new to the forum you will enjoy it and learn from it also.        Rick

woodchip gardener

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
hey tbone

maggie is right...one good frost and it is over.  you can also expect a seasonal 'drop' around june...so don't panic.  it's the tree's way of keeping the good ones and making sure it can get some to maturity.

your tree is right on schedule as far as flowers.  peach trees generally don't flower until the 3rd year.  right now as the flower buds and leave form/open is the time to put some nitrogen down.  it is usually a pound a year of the tree life.  i have a very old tree but never really go over a few pounds.  i use pelletized nitrogen, so it is pretty strong.  don't put it right next to the tree base. sort of do a circle that goes around the outside of the tree as far out as the limbs go. 

hopefully you have been pruning your peach tree to do the open limb thing.  this year you can trim off any shoots that have grown in the middle and will interfere with the air flow. 

good luck!