Author Topic: Another Grape ??  (Read 573 times)

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Another Grape ??
« on: July 05, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
   Janene has a grape vine that was here when she bought this property. We know nothing about grapes what so ever. We do know that when they get ripe , the deer wipes them out in one night. This year we netted them and they are good looking . My question is they are starting to turn purple but as they do they shrivel up and dry out. Never making it to the final stage.
  We have had all kinds of moisture this year so that's not it. Any ideas?

Rick

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Another Grape ??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Agragarden,
Please post a couple of pictures, before begin to turn as they turn and shriveled. That would really help. Odds are it is a type of scuppernong or muscadines vine. Although other grapes have recently been grown in your area.   
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
Without pictures to look at a quick guess would be "Black rot" it is caused by the fungus Guignardia bidwelli.

We had it here once. It took a couple of years to get rid of it. The most important thing to do is remove all of the dead grapes and rake out all leaf litter below the  vine. Air flow is essential also so maintain good pruning of your vines.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Just wanted you know that I have a new program that is driving me crazy & until I learn it there won't be any pictures.  I'm about ready to smash everything!!!  We appreciate your responses though very much, we have so much to learn

Thank you 
Janene