Author Topic: Song of the Cicado  (Read 338 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Song of the Cicado
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
I had a couple of post to set this morning along with some fence work, by 10 o'clock I went in the back door with my shirt stuck to me. After hearing all the expressed concerns Jewel & I started talking about those hot days back as teens. We could have had a fan in every room but it wouldn't have helped at our house because we didn't have electricity. The first time I walked into the living room at Jewel's I noticed a fan running right off. It was in the middle of the floor sweeping back & forth. We talked on about sitting on the front porch just talking, listening to Lefty Frizzell sing  "You got the money honey, I got the time" and Hank Williams singing "Hey good look'en whatcha got cooking". Above it all though we could always hear the song of the Cicada. I always felt cooler on that front porch than anywhere else.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Song of the Cicado
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
Love the cicada's! When we were kids, Mama and Daddy used to pile us in the car after supper, and we'd go to the sno cone stand downtown and then ride up on the levee eating our sno cones. The cicada's(we called them katydids) would be singing everywhere---so relaxing. Mother said that was her trick to get us to calm down so we would go to sleep. Every yr the cicadas bring back memories of those wonderful evening rides.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
we had electricity at our house mr. monroe...what we did not have was air conditioning.  my mom could not afford the electric bill so she put 1 box fan in the front living room window and opened up all the windows on the top floor.  it did not do much to draw the air through and when it did it was warm air at that.  once the sun went down it cooled off and pulled the air in a bit.  sleeping in the summer was near unbearable. and this was in PA where hot was upper 80's.  i have no idea how folks in texas could have lived through the heat!

like you, the outside was the place to be.  we used to go up the back hill to the tree fort we made out of wood scraps nailed between 3 trees and and old plastic tablecloth roof.  it was just inside the wood line in our back yard, so it was a good place to get out of the sun.  at least outside you got the occasional breeze.
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
We got electricity just before my 14th birthday. Sometimes when we rode the horse on a hot afternoon we would go to the tree down the road & sit there, if it was really hot Jewel would take the saddle off and we would ride out into the pond that was always a good cool down. Going to the store for a soda was always there. That first house we bought in the burbs didn't have AC but it had an attic fan that could pull the sheets off the bed. I later installed central AC in it myself. When we built our present house I zoned it with 2&1/2 ton up stairs and 3 ton downstairs. Later in the 80s we went all electric & I installed heat pumps. We like to sleep in about a 73 degree upstairs. We didn't have a car with AC until 1966, I didn't buy a truck with AC until 1977 before that I would go to the wrecking yard get what I needed & put it in my truck. We still sit out side in the late evening but I don't believe we've heard a Cicada sing yet this summer.   

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »
Monroe, my Daddy's mother did not have a/c til about 1975. She lived in a big house with 14 ft ceilings, and  a large central hallway(opening to large porches on the front and the back) with a HUGE attic fan. She lived in tiny Shaw Ms, where the heat and humidity is about as bad as it can get.  There were also HUGE Oak trees surrounding the house. I can honestly say I was never hot in that house. She lived 30 minutes away, so we were there a lot, and I spent a week with her every summer from age 6 on. Daddy constantly was harassing her to get a/c put in----for years. She had plenty of money, so that was not an issue. She loved working in her yard and had a  good sized veggie garden, and Daddy just thought anyone that active should have a/c. When she finally got it,she would never cut the a/c on til late in the afternoon. Also, a skeleton key would open every door in her house---took him forever to talk her into good locks on the doors. She lived to be 96 was never sick----not even a cold. I think fresh air must be a real factor  in longevity!!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
I have heard a few but not as many Cicadas as usual. My niece almost stepped on one yesterday and it about scared her to death - when it sang. (She stepped lightly so it did fly off just a fussing). I still remember picking peas as a child with my Mama  in sweltering temperatures and hearing their chorus.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:45:49 AM by bordercollie »

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
The Cicada, front porch, pitcher of Kool Aid , radio, cane bottom chairs all represented summer and we all knew that July and August were our hottest months. I've hauled hay & stacked it in a tin barn, shocked corn, run a tractor all day in the heat, drank water from my water bag , cleaned broiler houses, worked on ACs most of the time on the West side of a house, made repairs on air handlers in hot attics, slept outside because it was too hot inside and cooked in a hot kitchen, but up until the last few years I've never been told how hot I was going to feel. All these young weather people must not have ever lived where it gets hot, they jumped around all excited this morning because it may get to 100. I don't know if one of them is going to survive the day, but I bet Jewel & I will. We'll go to Braum's & eat a strawberry Sunday

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Monroe, I would play tennis every afternoon at 2pm in the MS Delta----year round. I would pass the bank digital clock on the way to the Country Club and it would often read 102 or 103 degrees with 97% humidity. We were used to playing in horrible heat. I drank tons of water during the match out of a 2 gallon Coleman jug----would be almost empty when I got through with the match. I think it is all what one gets used to. I would get home afterwards and have a hard time peeling my saturated clothes off of me. I am sure I was in the best shape of my life during those years. Stopped playing when I moved here 22 yrs ago----that was dumb, cuz the weather here is so delightful most of the time.

Offline Mr. Scruffy

• Grasshopper
  • "step high jack, there's a log"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
go to Braum's & eat a strawberry Sunday
Dang it Monroe. Now you done flung a cravin on me. Me and the wife discovered Braums a few years ago on a trip north through Oklahoma. Best hamburgers ever. Sure wish we had one here in Southeast Texas. It gets a little warm down here ever once in a while too. Not quite as experienced as you are, but have done a stretch or two in the heat. Longshoreing in the bottom of a hold on a ship in the middle of summer and mopping 750 degree tar on built-up roofs are two that stand out. Makes hauling hay seem like a breath of fresh air.
Kidney Transplant recipient 6/23/2015 donated by my wonderful wife. She is my HERO.

Opportunity is missed by most because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Orange, TX zone 9a (I think) for now

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
Rabbit I forgot about tennis, I ended up in the finals one hot Saturday. Jewel had won all hers and was waiting for me at the tennis shack, mid afternoon came & went & I had one more match. The only way I got the trophy about 6:30 was flat out lasting my opponent on a hot day. I knew him and knew he was a better player, but he was also a banker.

Scruffy, we're on our way to Braums, I'll be thinking about you

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
Monroe----Yes, in the heat oftentimes it is all about who can last the longest in a tennis match. I intentionally did my daily workouts in the heat,too, so I could last in a match. It all paid off.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
Rabbit I played night time league several years , played every weekend tournament, singles, doubles and mixed doubles with Jewel. One day I told Jewel I didn't work that hard back in our hay hauling days, so I quit except occasional mixed doubles with her and just the two of us enjoying playing each other for fun. I couldn't beat her unless she let me. We won most matches in mixed doubles

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
Monroe----My husband played tennis,too. We each played in 2 ,sometimes 3 leagues a week. We both had USTA drills twice a week, and we played with friends for practice ----me, everyday and he, about 2 practice matches a week. We literally lived out at the Club. We played in almost every tournament that was in a 100 mile radius. We have stashes of trophies out in the storage room. Fun times, lots of tennis friends, and so many memories!!