Author Topic: peach tree  (Read 12208 times)

woodchip gardener

peach tree
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
when we first moved into this house there was a single, very neglected peach tree that looked to be very mature.  it was riddled with borers and canker.  i did a couple of diy dormant sprays and cut off most of the obviously dead branches.  i put some old pennies in the ground in a circle around the tree to try to get it some copper to fight off the disease as well.  ( i know...but the old wives are rarely wrong). 

that spring the tree did flower and get some little peaches start to form, but then every one of them dropped.  i was a bit sad, but based on how the tree looked when we got here, i was just thrilled it bloomed.  i did see great new growth and took it as a good sign.

this past spring/summer (2015) the tree bloomed and we got peaches!  i pulled them asap after they started to blush up-as the birds also realized that the peach tree was back to producing as well!  i would let them sit out a few days on the counter and they would soften up and be delicious!

the thing that still is a problem is the aphids/ants.  i read online that the ants protect the aphids since they drink their liquid.  last summer i put tanglefoot around the trunk and the 4 main branch lines.  this seemed to slow down the ants, but did not really help with the aphid problem.  i bought some ladybugs online and released about a thousand of them onto the peach tree.  they stayed a few days, but left shortly after. 

anyone have a suggestion regarding the aphids?  the tree is very tall and i can't even reach the top to try to manually monitor the leaves. 

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: peach tree
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
Please tell us more about the copper repelling borers.  I need all the help I can get with 4 plums and 6 peach trees.

I've never heard of aphids on fruit trees but horticultural oil spray smothers aphids I get on other crops and it's recommended as a dormant spray for other maladies on trees.  Some people get results on aphids with soap spray. 
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:14:34 PM »
hi!  yes, the dormant spray i made i found the recipe for online.  it had dish soap, peroxide, baking soda and can't remember what else at this moment.  :(  i spray it on my peach tree during the early spring before the buds set on.  don't know if that is right, but it has worked so far. 

my husband's aunt was was the person who told me to put pennies by my peach tree and my roses.  she said it helps the plants suck up copper and make it able to drive off the borers and fungus.    i did google copper on peach trees at the time and saw it was common practice to spray with copper to kill disease and borers.  they had info on liquids you could buy, but as i am on a tight budget, i went the penny route.

if it helps, my aunt also mentioned to plant garlic around the peach trees.  it drives off the borers too. 

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »
Thanks.  I have plenty of pennies that aren't much good for anything else and it won't hurt to try it.  I'll also have lots of little garlic cloves to replant at harvest time.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
Remember if you want copper you need old pennies for new ones are made of zinc.
"gene"

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 04:43:53 AM »
IMO it would take a very long time for the copper contained in the pennies to leach in the top soil and be made available for the tree roots. Having said this I always spray my peach trees with a 'bouillie bordelaise' solution (contains copper oxide) in early spring when the buds are swelling to prevent/control peach leaf. It works a treat. Never had aphid problems on my peach trees. Would you be able to post a photo so we can see/double check what the problem might be?
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 04:51:13 AM »
Is there a sticky residue on and below the tree?  The honeydew is probably what the ants are eating / collecting.  In July, we have a tree pest that drops honeydew and then sooty mold grows. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 05:37:27 AM »
no, there is nothing on the ground.  i did notice that at least 1 borer is back.  i saw a little place on the tree where that dark amber goop is on the branch.  i am going to spray again monday when it warms up again here.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »
Woodchip< if U can in years to come, try and get the tree down to a height that U can reach, I took on a Old Peach tree just about like the one that U are describing, I didn't cut it all back at the same time, I did it over a 2 year period, now that old tree has 4 main branches, and I can reach the top of it easy with my hand sprayer, the tree is now like a bowl, once U can get a peach tree to growing like this, I will hold more fruit, and is easy to harvest, If U will check with some of the online sources, U will fine some picture showing how your tree should look,

They recommend for when U are planting a new tree, to cut if off about 16 to 18 inches high, this is where U make it form the 3 or 4 branched that will be your main tree, nothing in the middle

Good Luck with Your Peach tree,

Rat 
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

woodchip gardener

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
hi rat.  this tree is very old.  i am afraid if i prune it too much it will just die.  hold on, i think i have a pic from the winter of the overall shape.

i did prune off the dead branches when i undertook to bring it back.  i read that peaches grow on last year's growth.  i did have good growth again last year.

i have read several sites on pruning.  i am just afraid to over due it do to the age of the tree.  most of the growth is on the upper ends of the branches.  i don't think i would have any peaches at all if i cut it down from the top.  i do agree it could use a bit of thinning though. 

i will look for some pics. 

woodchip gardener

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
this was feb 2015.  i will have my hub take a better pic later today when he gets home, but for now gives you a ref on size.  that is our well house on the left.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
We live too far south for peaches and all the locals say they will just break your heart.  After research and consulting LSU we decided to give a yum yum tree a try.  Its a type of nectarine.  It's still small and we got a few fruit off of it last year and are hoping for the best.  This year was no winter at all hardly and the silly thing has put forth blooms twice already I hope it makes a few fruit again and will let yall know.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
woodchip, I can tell that when that tree was first planted it was cut off low to the ground to make it form a bowl type tree, the tree I cut back was bigger than the one U have there, if that were my tree I would do part of it one year them the other part the next year,

I haven't tried to post a picture on the new form, I just gave up trying on the old site, I figured I was just to old to learn, I would love to show U what I did with this old tree, I know for sure its over 20 years old, the first year I cut 2 off the main limbs, 1 on 1 side & the other on the other side, I cut those to limbs back to about 3 ft from the ground, I did this when the tree was dormant, that spring sure enough new growth came out on the ends of the one cut, I kept more of the growth than I wanted, knowing that later I wood cut some of that out
Now 4 or 5 years later, the tree is kept to about 7 ft. those 4 new limbs that I have grown are all bushed out,  I top it out at about 7 ft every time I prune it

Rat

there is a peach orchard not to far from where I live, they have a machine that cuts the top of the trees flat across the top, they drive through the orchard and cut the all the same height every year, the trees are never allowed to get any taller

If U notice on your branched they are big spaces with out and small branches, except as it get towards the top
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
well rat, if you think it will work then i may give it a try this coming fall once it goes dormant.  i will only do half at a time in case it does not react well. 

as for the pictures...right below your reply you will see

+attachments and other options

it will open up other options.  you will see

Attach:
and then a little box that says
Browse....
click the browse button.

it will open up a new window that will let you access your computer files.  you can locate where you store the picture you want to share.
there are size limits on pictures, so i tend to size mine down and then save the smaller copy to the desktop to make it easier to find when i want to upload it.

click on the photo you want to attach. 
hit the open button on the lower right side

it will close that window and you should see the file name of your picture next to the 'browse...' button under the Attach:

if you want to upload multiple pics, just choose the
(more attachments)
and it will give you several more
Browse..... buttons.

hope this helps!

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Woodchip >< I will take a couple pictures and see if I can make it happen >< U Make it sound easy, I will give it a try

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 06:46:48 PM »
Woodchip >< I just though about something else, if That is a Good Peach & U don't know the name of the Peach, U might want to think about planting another peach tree & them Graf it with cuttings from the Old Tree >< Grafting fruit trees is not very hard to do, >< There is a lot of info. online for doing it

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
i don't know what kind they are, but the peaches taste amazing.  we had some this past summer and they were delicious.  i even made a peach pie!   i will look into the grafting...if for no other reason than sooner or later it will stop producing and need to come down.   it would be nice to have a next generation of the same tree already growing.  :)

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »
Your tree has some good scaffolding on it but it definately needs to be pruned up. Peach trees,(and other fruit trees) love to be pruned. It's essential for good tree health. I know it's seems scary to start whacking off the tree but believe me, unless you cut it off at the ground your not going to kill it. As a matter of fact I have one that I DID cut off at the ground and guess what......it sent up new shoots!
Zone 6a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
yes, a little nervous to hack at it.  but if it will live, then i will make it happen.

went out this morning.  buds are just about to open.   and of course it will go down near freezing sunday night. 

cross your fingers for me that it stays above freezing.

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »
yes, a little nervous to hack at it.  but if it will live, then i will make it happen.

went out this morning.  buds are just about to open.   and of course it will go down near freezing sunday night. 

cross your fingers for me that it stays above freezing.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Buds just dying to break out and suppose to get down to 26 deg Sunday night!  :-\
Zone 6a