Author Topic: Loquat plum pickin' time  (Read 7180 times)

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
Loquat plum pickin' time
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:45 AM »
I have 2 grocery bags of our Loquat plums picked already and ya cant tell I started from the trees.  In for a break after a half hour of picking they are heavy.  Hopefully pictures will follow.  In the mean time its back to a plum good day!!

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat plum pickin' time
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
3 bags full and I have broke a sweat sposed to be 80 today, and the humidity is way up there.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:10 AM »
I've been running through loquat recipes, and have decided to try making loquat JAM this weekend. 

Also, Spiced Loquats! 

Question.  The Spiced Loquats get put up in a sweet pickle brine, whole, with the stems and blossom ends cut off.  They are NOT seeded.  I've been reading that eating the pits can be hazardous because they contain trace amounts of arsenic.  However, no one is gonna be chewing on the pits...

Any comments on seeding (or not), would be appreciated.

Here's the website with the recipe.

http://www.loquatworld.com/LoquatRecipes.html
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
We always pit and sometimes peel our plums for preserving and jelly jam making I just picked my fourth grocery bag full and the cheap bag ripped under the weight it took longer to pick them from the grass than from the tree.  That's it for a while water break time.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
Cappy,
Do you use pectin and/or lemon juice in your recipe?

Seems there's some confusion on weather it's safe to water bath can loquats, because of their low acidity level.

Please lmk soonest.

Thanks!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
We Use sugar or honey and lemon juice and let them simmer for 10 minutes before we cann them.  We don't like firm preserves we like them still a lil runny so no added pectin.  Depending on what we do with them we can thicken later if we want to.We always peel and pit them but thats the way we like them they make great pie filling that way. 

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
Picked about 100 lbs and got plum tuckered out.  Gave this picking to my wine making friend.  I don't ever buy wine all I do is give him a call and he brings me a jug.

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-little-jug-of-whinenot.html

Here is a plum story for ya the plums leave the house fresh picked and this jug is only a phone call away.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »
Gymgirl,

Ironic that you were asking about loquats and their seeds.  Down the street from me are several loquat trees that are LOADED with fruit.  I was curious about it, since I've never had loquats and the family who has the trees doesn't seem to pick any of them.  After a little Googling, I found this video.  It's a good watch.  The gentleman even talks about using the seeds to make a liquor  :o

Here you go.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyseWslMTSA

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
I watched that video and that tree he was standing by looked kind of average but wait till you see the amazing difference in our trees.  When We get it posted I want you to compare that video with our trees and tell me ouur simple 1ce a year fertilizer trick does not work,

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Orange,
Thanks for posting that video. I grew up fighting over loquats when I was little. We never ever called them loquats. We never ever knew they were Japanese plums. We had an entirely different name for them, and sooner or later I'll post the story that I researched on this website. We loved them as kids, but I never ever had jelly or Jam made from the fruit.

We have so many loaded fruit trees in my neighborhood.  My neighbors either are tired of them, or, they never knew they could eat them.  Either way, I can't stand to see all that FREE fruit going to waste. So, this is my year to make lots of loquat Jam, freeze some, and dehydrate some.

I'm gonna capture as much as I can before the birds, squirrels, and possums pick those trees bare.

Cappy,
I see what you mean about his loquat trees. The trees over here in my neighborhood have fruits that are way larger than what he was standing in front of in his video. I know scrawny loquats.  We had big, juicy, swollen fruits!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:31:21 PM by Gymgirl »

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:14:10 AM by Gymgirl »

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »
We picked 100 lbs a few days ago and today I have 4 heavy grocery bags picked so far.  It's cold overcast windy and wet out today so after each bag I come in and rest they get heavy reaching up holding the bag.  Tomorrow we plan to get the ladder out if the sun comes out.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
Today I picked 6 bags of Loquats weighing in around 80 lbs and now its 5 oclock somewheres 8)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
I picked a 5-gallon bucket of loquats last evening, then spent 4 hours de-seeding them. I ended up with two 6-quart crock pots of de-seeded fruits.

I picked from three different trees in my neighborhood. It was very interesting. Tree number one had loquats like the ones we ate growing up. They were sweet and tangy. Once I finished there I went on to tree number two which had golden orange fruits that had absolutely no taste at all.  After I tasted the first several fruits I moved on to tree number 3.

I knocked on the door and before I could even ask, the lady said "take all that you want," LOL. I tasted the first fruit and almost passed out. It was the sweetest loquat I have ever eaten in my life!!

I ended up with 2/3 of a bucket of the Tangy Sweet fruits from tree number one and 1/3 of a bucket from tree number three, which was so naturally sweet.

I'll start making jam soon.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
Gymgirl, that juicer I posted in a different thread is magic but I think you can get the same result in you clean them good and cut off the flower bud end, steam them for about 45 minutes then you can easily just pull the seeds out and when you done use a potato masher to squeeze the juice out for jelly or use it to make preserves. I never tried this but I think it'll work based on using that high dollar juicer and seeing the end result of the fruit.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
Thanks, Rajun,
It took me 4 hours to de-seed them. If there's an easier way, I'm all for it!!

Offline grnhrn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
I was hoping the racoon would come take some off for me but he's been a no show.  I was think about the pits today to and the only thing I could think of was a cherry pitter.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 04:10:15 AM »
You can squish em and use the juice for jellies and wine but we love the labor intensive jam we make by first peeling them and pitting them.  When I bring a bag in from out side Peggy sorts through them taking the big ripe pretty ones out for jam making and the others go to our wine making friend.  In honor of picking right at 60 lbs of fruit probably 2heaping full buckets estimated.  I decided to enjoy a few glasses of the plum wine.  By 9pm I was nodding to sleep and at 3:30 am I am wide awake I slept likea rock and cant go back to sleep.  This would be a good thing if there was anything to do at this time.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »
Alright, all this loquat talk has me intrigued.  I'm going to head down the street - actually it's almost a mile, so I may drive - and see if the owner of the loquats in my area will let me sample a few.  I don't want to pick a bucket full; I only want to taste a couple.  How do I know which are ripe? Color? Softness? Smell? 
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »
Alright, all this loquat talk has me intrigued.  I'm going to head down the street - actually it's almost a mile, so I may drive - and see if the owner of the loquats in my area will let me sample a few.  I don't want to pick a bucket full; I only want to taste a couple.  How do I know which are ripe? Color? Softness? Smell?
they turn yellow when ripe. Yes they should be soft and they also have a smell.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia