Author Topic: Loquat plum pickin' time  (Read 6879 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat plum pickin' time
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
I'm surprised there's so much interest in Japanese Plum jelly. The best juicy ones have a slight orange tint to them but even if you pick yellow ones they ripen in a day sitting inside. My cleaning process consist of soaking them in a sink full of water for about 20 minutes stirring them around a few times. This brings out any bugs & breaks loose the blossom ends, I noticed the fruit that's not perfectly ripe will float too so that's a bonus. I will also say that when I pick I can grab the fruit and it breaks off easy it's good, I do this while holding the bucket underneath. I usually grab a cluster and roll my fingers trying to break them off and the really ripe ones will just fall off. The problem with that is if you wait too long after ripening there will be some that are split or have bird/squirrel damage so you have to go though them. The best thing about the Japanese plum is they give us something garden related this early.

They will also ripen if you pick them yellow and not perfectly ripe, just clean them and set them on a counter for a day and you'll see some starting to turn brown/tan in spots and they're ready. After cleaning I spread them on a cookie sheet with a rack and put a fan on them to dry.

This is probably way too much info but it works without having to worry about picking them when they are perfectly ripe and even then, the 20 cups of sugar will make it sweet. 

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
Good info.  Thanks for sharing Ragun.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
I made LOQUAT jam yesterday!!!

Sooooooooooo much fun (except for the 4 hours I spent de-seeding them Friday night...). 

I made a recipe that uses Cardamom.  It needed Cardamom, or, something to make it "pop". 

I also made a batch and added crushed tabasco peppers.  That's going to be interesting when the heat permeates the jam!

Next up:  Loquat Barbecue Sauce!

P.S.  I tasted the fruits from each tree first, and picked according to taste, not color.  Tree #1's fruits tasted best at a yellow stage, just blushing orange.  The orange fruits were overripe.  Tree #2 & 3's fruits were Japanese Sun orange, and absolutely tasteless!!!!  Worse loquats I've ever put in my mouth.  The trees were loaded, too...so sad...

Trees #4 & 5 were amazingly sweet at the same yellow/orange stage as tree #1.

My recipe called for 4 cups of cooked/mashed fruit.  I mixed equal quantities of fruits from Trees #1, 4 & 5.  I used Pomona Pectic, and added only 1 cup of Agave Nectar per batch.  1/4 tsp. Cardamom, and 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt.  1/4c fresh lemon juice.  I hit each batch with my immersion blender, because the skins were still a bit chewy.  The final product was like a chunky applesauce.

Nice.   :-* :-* :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
Good info, Gymgirl.  Thanks for sharing.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
Unfortunately I found the plum trees without any flavor too Gymgirl.  I found them in a parking lot landscape here in Gulf Shores, and they were loaded and like you I tried several tasting fruit for a few different trees, but none had any flavor.  They were not bad, but nothing I cared to mess with.  I wish I had went back after a day or too and seen if they got a little better when more ripe.  I also hate to see fruit go to waste. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 02:14:28 AM »
Here's a pic of the fruit from one of the trees down the street.  There are actually 5 trees, all grouped together in close proximity.  The trees are loaded, and nobody is harvesting them.  In fact, the fruit is starting to drop off and rot on the ground  ??? 

I sampled the fruit, and I quickly understood why the loquats are also called Japanese plums.  The taste was very similar to a plum - slightly tart, but sweet. 

It's curious to me that nobody is eating the loquats.  Maybe it's the amount of work involved - you have a lot of seed volume for a small fruit.  Maybe it's the fact that the seed can be toxic.  I don't know how many seed you'd have to swallow to be a concern.  Regardless, next year I'll make a trek down the street and see if the owner is interested in letting me make some jelly.  It's always interesting to try something new.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 02:28:01 AM »
Don't wait for next year. Get your permission and go ahead and harvest the fruits now.

You can wash them, de-seed them, and put them in freezer bags until you're ready to make your jelly.

Get them while the gettin's good. And, processing them a little bit at a time won't seem like such a tedious chore in the end.

It took a minute for my loquat jam with cardamom to grow on me, but now, I'm having to keep myself away from those little jars, LOL.  I still have some meat in the fridge that I'm going to go ahead and process for the freezer.

Can't wait to see the batch you make!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:01:34 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »
Gymgirl - I'll see what I can do.  You can never have too much jelly  ;D

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
"WE BE JAMMIN'' - Again!   8) 8) 8)

Well, I needed to address the rest of the #LOQUAT meat in the fridge. Wasn't at all worried about spoilage, because, if it had fermented, then, it was gonna become WINE, LOL! But, I keep the fridge so cold, most things don't spoil.

Interesting discovery. In addition to the 6-quart crock pot full of processed meat, I had a bag of whole fruits I hadn't de-seeded. I fully expected the opposite of what I actually found. The whole fruits had completely lost all their flavor, even the sweet ones I had picked. But, the processed meat in the crock was as sweet as the day I picked them. Go figure!

I addressed the issue I had with the first two batches, namely, the large pieces of skins in the jam. So, this time I simmered the WHOLE crock of meat in a pot with 1 cup of water, for almost 1 hour on low. Then, I hit it with the immersion stick, and completely broke up the meat and skins. It was still like slightly chunky applesauce, minus any large skins. From there, I measured out what I needed, and proceeded with the recipe.

I also saved myself a step for next time since I won't have to simmer down the fruits. I can vacuum seal the slurry I have left, and freeze it for my next batch(es).  ;)

NOTE TO SELF: Make sure you have ALL the ingredients before you begin. Then, you won't have to go borrow a lemon from your neighbor's tree at 9:30 at night. Good thing he's a good neighbor, LOL!

Cardamom is growing on me, so I added just a pinch more to the normal 1/4 tsp. called for in the recipe.

Can't wait to taste this new batch!  :D

Uh, I didn't even go into the veggie garden all weekend long...

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
What we do with stuff like loquats is pick a bowl full however much we feel like fooling with then sit peel and pit them and dump them in an empty ice bag in the freezer when the bags full we make jam or they can wait in the freezer till we feel like doing it. 

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Out walking this morning, and a subtle, sweet scent brought me to a stop.  The group of loquat trees that I walk by are in full bloom.  The blooms are inconspicuous and easy to miss, but their smell isn't.  By the look of the blooms, the trees will be loaded with fruit.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »
I'm surprised at how many bees have been on the blossoms. No more freezes till January and we should be loaded come harvest time.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »
our trees are in full bloom too. :)  We plan to fertilize them along with every thing else in mid February Lord say the same it looks like another good year........So far