Author Topic: Grape vine  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Grape vine
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
Nice Anole. Do you know the name of the variety?  I hope you have a great crop this year.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:12 AM »
Vince this was something I bought at Lowe's several years ago, I don't recall the variety. It's a seedless purple grape.

Anole
Zone 9a

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
Anole, I bought the same grape vines at Lowes about 3 yrs ago. They have never done anything. They grow a little bit during the summer but never has any fruit. I fertilize too so I don't know what the deal is. The leaves look pretty, that's all. 

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
PK, it took a couple of years for mine to grow too. I never fertilize mine, I read that grape vines are pretty hardy and don't need that much attention. I trim mine in January. Good luck, be patient.

Anole
Zone 9a

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my grapevine for 2017. It appears that the growth is a little ahead of last year if you compare pictures of my first post back in April 2016 with these. We had a very mild winter this year and best of all there were no late cold fronts coming thru in March ruining everything. I probably will start to get some ripe ones in June. Oh yea the chickens are gone so all I have to contend with are the mockingbirds but that's ok with me.
Anole
Zone 9a

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
  If you grow grapes, or at least try to, in the Gulf South,  please read about "Pierce's Disease."  It will be worth your while.  This has also made it's way to California and is seriously messing with CA grape vineyards.

Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
Here is an updated picture of my grapevine, I am hoping to have purple grapes next month some time.

Anole
Zone 9a

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
Looks like the clusters of grapes are doing really well.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

woodchip gardener

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
beautiful!

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »
Grapes are getting close to being ready, I am sharing with the mockingbirds and others. They are about the size of marbles. Not bad for south Louisiana, zone 9.

Anole
Zone 9a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
picture perfect anole! congrats!

what will you do with so many?  do you make jam?  wine?

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Woodchip,  I share with neighbors, share with the birds, and we eat a lot too. I don't make wine or jam. I picked some today and have them in the fridge, I like them cold.

Anole
Zone 9a

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
  Anole......  Janene has some that looks about like your May 3rd picture. At that stage do you firtilize or just water.  Most often the deer gets hers the day shes going to harvest them.

Rick

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
Rick, the only thing I do is to trim back to the main feeders in January, nothing else, no watering no fertilizer. I have done nothing else and it gets better each year (it's about 7-8 yrs old), I won't change my routine -- I am afraid I would ruin the plant.

Anole
Zone 9a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
hi anole

how did you do with your harvest?  did you get more than the birds?  how did they taste? 

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
Woodchip, sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, the grape harvest was great this year. We were able to pick and store a lot of grapes in the refrigerator. We got a lot more than the birds and they taste pretty good. I am so glad that they don't have seeds. My neighbor started a plant a couple of years ago, a different variety but they have seeds and are a white grape. Seeds are a pain.

Here is a recent picture of the vine, it is slowly losing all its leaves. I will trim in Jan., looking forward to a good crop next year. I will have to add more supports and the vine has gotten longer.

Anole
Zone 9a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
that is great news anole!  i am glad you had a great harvest.  :)

do you have to cut them back?  some of the places i see grape vines here they just leave them up all year.

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Woodchip, in Jan. I will cut all the secondary vines back, keep only the main trunk lines. It's funny I was looking at the vine a few minutes ago and there are some new sprouts with small grapes, not many but a few, I didn't think it would product a second (but a lot smaller) crop.

Anole
Zone 9a

Offline Anole

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:30 PM »
It's that time of year and my grapevine has started to sprout, it looks like it's on time no matter if we have a cold winter or warm winter. Looking forward to grapes in June or July.

Anole
Zone 9a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »
anole,

how are your grapes doing this year?