Author Topic: Lamb boxes for traveling.  (Read 259 times)

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Lamb boxes for traveling.
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Hey Mikem
I have been reading your lambing season posts, I love the pictures.  I am going to be buying a market lamb for my daughter to show this year and had a quick question.  I do not have a trailer to pull this lamb to the shows but have been told that a lot of people build lamb boxes that fit in the back of the truck.  I guess some these are insulated and can get very nice.  Do you have a opinion on doing something like this?  How would you go about building one if you were going to?  I have built dog boxes in the past but this would be a little different.
Thanks
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb boxes for traveling.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Most folks have lamb boxes in the back of their truck down here. They are typically made from angle iron and cattle panels. Some are more elaborate than others but if you have a roof over there head for shade and hay deep in the floor they work well. If you are transporting in rainy weather you can strap a tarp around three sides. Just make sure the door can be secured very well.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
I have seen some people even use dog kennels and they actually travel well.  They don't stress out very much if they are used to being handled.  Like was said they need to be kept in shade since they won't drink any water when they are under stress.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »
Good to know, thanks guys
GATA DAWGS!!!!

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
Hey guys another question.  So i am going Sunday to pick up the lambs, i was curious is there an online store that is good for ordering the tac i will need.  I have just the basics now but eventually will want to look into getting things that may work better.  i mean things like good feed and water bowls, halters and leads, etc...  i have a local feed store here in town that sales some things but would like to have a couple of backups as well. 
thanks
GATA DAWGS!!!!

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
They don't need really big bowls for feed for two lambs as you won't be feeding that much at one time.  If you have a Tractor Supply they have everything you need but you should be able to get small live stock gear at most feed stores.  Premier1 online has everything you can't get locally.

You will need Sheep Mineral - don't let anyone try to tell you that Goat Mineral is fine because it isn't.  Sheep don't tolerate copper and that's a big component of goat mineral.  If the farm you are getting your lambs from is supplementing with any feed, find out what they are already eating since you don't want any sudden switch.  We just bought 4 ewe lambs from another farm and they sold me a 50 pound bag that I could use till I got them switched over.  As it turned out I like the feed they use so made arrangements to have the same blend made up for us at the same place they used.  The difference is that the store is 45 minutes from me and 1 1/2 hours from them.  :)

Any switch in feed is handled just like with other animals.  A mix for a short time and add more till they have adjusted.  Any switch in feed is probably going to cause the runs.  Find out what type of wormer they are using and when they were wormed.  They should be vaccinated (depending on their age) but they will need CDT vaccine and a booster later.  According to the law they should already have a Scrapie ear tag in legally leave their farm.

I don't know how much you know or don't know but ask if anything comes up.

Forgot - for water a bucket bungey corded to a wall or fence works fine for two animals.  You want it tall enough that their poop won't get in the water (and it will if the container is too short).  I use two part hanging feeder (small) for minerals and salt.  I also add a little Sea90 (another mineral) to their water and mineral but you likely won't have access to it and it's just a supplement that isn't mandatory.  We keep a couple of different wormers on hand.  Many (most) folks use some form of Ivermectin but we also keep Prohibit on had.  Ivermec doesn't work on Barber Pole worms and when you first see the signs, they can go from healthy to dead in a couple of days. Most of our sheep are grass fed only but we do give them some feed a couple times a week to keep them coming when called.  We have dogs to herd but it's easier to not use the dogs and the sheep don't get stressed out.

I wasn't meaning to write a book but like I said above, I don't know what you already know and there are so many small things that can come up.

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
I'm attaching a picture of the feeders I use for mineral and salt.  We don't put anything on the ground level other than their feed in a pvc pipe cut in half and attached to 2x4's with half moon cut outs.  We have 8 paddocks that we rotate into so I attached the mineral feeders to most of the gates.  I have been doing it this way for a couple of years now and have never had a problem with the product getting wet.  The one in the picture is a little tall for young lambs but they get plenty from their dams until they are big enough to reach into the feeders.  This type of feeder can be screwed directly into a wall also.  It's simple, cheap and they work.