Author Topic: Jujube  (Read 905 times)

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Jujube
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
Any chance there are local Jujube sellers on here?

woodchip gardener

Re: Jujube
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »
hi wdkerek.   i had never heard of these so i looked them up.  what an interesting fruit!  chock full of good stuff! 

it looks like it would be pretty easy to grow here in the south...disease resistant, likes long hot summers, drought tolerant.  nice!

i can see why you are looking for someone local to share.  they start at 40 bucks for a 4' starter tree!  dang.

not sure where you are located, but i did see a few nurseries online that sell them if you can't find a local source. 

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
I will keep looking that is for sure!

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
hi wdkerek.   i had never heard of these so i looked them up.  what an interesting fruit!  chock full of good stuff! 

it looks like it would be pretty easy to grow here in the south...disease resistant, likes long hot summers, drought tolerant.  nice!

i can see why you are looking for someone local to share.  they start at 40 bucks for a 4' starter tree!  dang.

not sure where you are located, but i did see a few nurseries online that sell them if you can't find a local source.

Sorry........I am in Saint Amant Louisiana

Offline Possum

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
wdkerek
 Were you looking for fruit, trees or cuttings?  If you are looking for trees , I would highly suggest that you order them from Roger Meyer in California. They come bare root in the spring ready to plant. Roger passed away a while back but i believe his family still runs the nursery.
  Jujube are maintenance free and bare excellent fruit but be aware that they do have their bad side. The trees will send up shoots from the roots in all directions from the tree. Don't plant this tree in a location that you can't mow the roots as they come up. They have thorns , lots of thorns.
  Jujubes are really good for fresh eating and dehydrating. Hard to believe but they make the very best syrup that I have ever made.

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
wdkerek
 Were you looking for fruit, trees or cuttings?  If you are looking for trees , I would highly suggest that you order them from Roger Meyer in California. They come bare root in the spring ready to plant. Roger passed away a while back but i believe his family still runs the nursery.
  Jujube are maintenance free and bare excellent fruit but be aware that they do have their bad side. The trees will send up shoots from the roots in all directions from the tree. Don't plant this tree in a location that you can't mow the roots as they come up. They have thorns , lots of thorns.
  Jujubes are really good for fresh eating and dehydrating. Hard to believe but they make the very best syrup that I have ever made.

Thanks ...........I have a friend that tells me he has two coming from his brother in Avoyelles parish........we shall see.......

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »
well....................got two in from Avoyelles.........one making it and three in from the WWW........all doing good!