Author Topic: pineapple guava  (Read 1100 times)

Offline loupgarou

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge, LA
    • View Profile
pineapple guava
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
I planted 3 pineapple guava bushes/trees about 2.5 years ago and found the first fruits on the ground today.  My understanding is they are ready once they drop.  There were four fruits I had been watching.  One is still hanging on.  They aren't the size of the ones I have seen online, but they are edible.  It has the consistency of a pear with a citrus/tart taste.  Can't say they compare to any other fruit I have tried.  Anyone else have one planted?

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: pineapple guava
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
I have what is labeled as a Mexican quava............it's three year's old. It has produced one piece of fruit that had a pink flesh.......it was fantastic!!

The flood set it back some this summer.......but I am expecting good things

Offline loupgarou

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge, LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
Good luck with the guava.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:45 AM »
I have one, plenty of flowers on it. Tree looks exactly like yours Loupgarou. They are also caled Feijoa here. I have never tried the fruit as it hasn't produced yet.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Possum

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »
 I have a few of these that are about 8 years old . They are truly a no maintenance tree. Everyone's taste is different but to me the fruit have a mint taste.  If you are not eating the flower petals you are missing a treat.

Offline loupgarou

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge, LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
First year I got a lot of blooms. This year, very few. I have tried the leaves of the blooms. Has a banana/pineapple taste.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
A few years ago I visited New Zealand an as Vince said they call them Feijoa there an I tasted a few.  As I recall they were tart but not unpleasant
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
I have one too but no fruit.  This was the first year planted in the ground.  May be next year.  When do your guys flower, in the fall time?
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline loupgarou

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge, LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
  When do your guys flower, in the fall time?

I havent paid attention. If Id had to guess, Id say late spring early summer.  I found the following online and that makes sense based where I got fruit. They were on branches I trimmed back for mower clearance:

The pineapple guava does not require pruning, but a light pruning will help increase the next year's fruit production as the flowers develop on new growth.