Author Topic: peach tree  (Read 12178 times)

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: peach tree
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 11:25:54 AM »
Thanks all.... I have done some time researching the theory of growing fruit trees but don't have any actual hands on experience and I have found it's one thing to know the theory of something, it's quite another to put it into practice...the putting it into practice is my worry. That's probably why I am looking at putting in so many at once...redundancy in case I screw it up. That and my woman is getting bees this spring and I want to make sure the bees have something to work with and cornfields don't cut it from everything I have read.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
I started my orchard 2 years ago.  I am adding 4 new trees every year for the next several years.  My ultimate goal is to have around 20 assorted trees.   I have 8 right now and have only lost 1, I have a big project to get water out there this year.  I have been just hand watering them but I know as I get more I will need water a lot closer.  I also had know idea what I was doing at first but have spent a lot of time on You Tube and other articles.  I find the extensions in your area have some of the best info.  Prunning has been a major reseach topic from me this year, there is a lot I didn't know.
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
GC...have you looked at the water bags...I forget the real name of them right now. From what I understand they slowly water them over a few days and hold like 5 gallons per bag. They look like those old inflatable butt donuts. I am going to use them so I don't have to worry about wasting water. I am also going to put each one of the trees inside of a 6'  T-post and chicken wire enclosure to keep Bambi off of them.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
it is supposed to be hovering near freezing at night for about the next week here.  the peach tree buds have started to swell, but are not big enough or open yet.  i hope they hold off long enough to get through the next week.   :(

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »
Well all 3 pear and 2 of my peach trees are in full bloom right now, and unfortunately we are supposed to be around 32 degrees on Thursday.  Last year I had a similar experience and covered all my trees with garbage bags.  Will one night of around freezing temps be enough to kill the buds?  Any other ideas to help cover them that won't break the bank? Sure wish it would either stay cold or get hot and quit going back and forth.
     Also I took some pictures of the peach orchard down the street from the house.  This particular field is about 400 acres.

[imghttp://ibb.co/caHTDS/img]
GATA DAWGS!!!!

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2018, 11:17:42 PM »
GATA DAWGS!!!!

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:01 AM »
Wow those trees are beautiful!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
I lived in the corner of a 40 acre apple orchard for 12 years.   Spring was 2nd most favorite time.   After they harvested in Oct there were always a few apples that were left on the trees an a cold crisp yellow delicious apple with a red blush was a real treat.   Peaches have always been a favorite too.    Hope this spring is just what you want.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
^^^ Wow, I have some pruning to do.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2018, 07:33:23 AM »
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2018, 11:36:15 AM »

Chapman-- thanks for the post.  I can see peach cobber on the horizon.

Ben

Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Ben, that sounds good.  Those Ruston peaches are really good. 
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
it snowed here this morning.  my little one got out of school early due to the weather and i was watching out the back door for the bus to come down the road.  i was staring through the yard and noticed the beautiful pink/peach colored flower buds all over my peach tree.

so much for peaches for this year.  :(

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
^ Hopefully not all the buds had opened and there will be some more once it warms up again.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
well, the peach tree had a ton of flowers on it once they did open all the way.  it was cold here at night, but hopefully it was nice enough during the day hours that some of the flowers will give me some peaches.

the little leaves are busting out now, so it is just time to wait and see.  :)

woodchip gardener

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
the leaves are popping out all over the tree now and the little flowers are starting to die off.  i hope at least some of them will make it to peaches.

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
   Woodchip............  Hope your trees make a few at the least.   It got down to 25 here in central Okla. last nite. Still well below freezing so I don't have much hope for mine. I tried covering one tree with a large tarp but the wind got up to 40 and50 mph yesterday . The tarp got tore to threads .  For me I'm thinking better luck next year.

Rick

woodchip gardener

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
i'm crossing my fingers for you that you at least get 1!   :)