Author Topic: Lets talk about the new Rave of Instant Pots  (Read 228 times)

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Lets talk about the new Rave of Instant Pots
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
I am wondering how many of U have a Instant Pot? what Brand? what size? what all have U cooked in it so far? How did what U cooked turn out? we have been thinking about one for quite some time, we see all the wonderful looking recipes on Pinterest, we have had a 8 qt. presto stove top cooker for years, and we use it for A number of things, You have to keep your mind on what U are doing when using one of these,

where it looks like one of the many plus for the Instant pot, is U set it and let it go depending on what U are cooking, One plus I see for my Bride and I is as U get older, U can easily for get U have something on the stove cooking, first thing U know U have a Mess, what every was cooking is burnt, and possibly the Pot is ruined >< don't ask me how I know

we use a crockpot for lot of thing, that one of the big pluses for a crockpot, U can set it and just about forget it

Thanks Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk about the new Rave of Instant Pots
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
I got one a couple of years ago as a gift. I can't remember the brand but it does OK. For tougher meats it's a quick answer but I wouldn't say the results are stellar, just passable...You have to season it to death to get any flavor out of it..... for beans and such it's just eh...It doesn't seem to cook them well enough in my opinion plus being a Southern Hillbilly I set a high bar on my beans and how they are done. Haven't tried too much else with it to be honest.

My sister has one and LOVES it (she gave me the one I have) but my sister never could cook worth a fiddler's damn so I imagine her expectations are a wee bit lower than mine on food....lol

I have tried to teach her from time to time but it hasn't stuck really...she didn't quite learn the appreciation of the Hillbilly culinary arts from our mother like I did.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »
I've used them before too and it's nothing like browning your meat in a regular pot. I bought the Presto Frymaster pressure cooker and still use it for quick meals, it's a pot about the size of a Magnalite but it's a pressure cooker so I brown the meat like normal then pressure it up to get the meat tender. It works better than the instapot cookers.

Here's a recipe if you have one, I haven't tried it so proceed at your own risk.
https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-jambalaya/#recipebegin

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
Thanks Ragun That's just the Blog I was needing, looks to be a interesting Blog to dig around on 

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
There's a Yahoo group on pressure cookers if you use yahoo. Yahoo is free to join, it's an email service many people use. They are a very active group always posting new recipes for anything you can think of.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PressureCookerRecipes/files

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 06:59:26 AM »
Thanks for that sight Ragun, I ordered a 6 qt. Instant Pot yesterday, after reading a lot of different Blogs, we decided we will give it a run, I am looking for something that U can set and forget, sort of like a crock pot, i see that when these pots finish cooking they go to a warm cycle,

as we get older i find that sometimes we have something cooking on the stove, first thing U know its run out of liquid and what ever was cooking is burnt to the bottom of the pot, i will let you'll know how this goes in a couple weeks

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline GaTrapper

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
My wife and I love ours. We had some trouble at first, but it was all user error. After watching loads of YouTube videos, our roasts and veggies come out perfect. We cook the majority of our meals in it now.
"A mans true character is defined in times of adversity, not through everyday life."
North Georgia

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
Thanks Ga. after a lot of Looking, we did get us a Instant Pot, about a week ago, so far we have cooked Baking size potatoes, came out great,  cant wait to try out some of the recipes that we see

What are some of the things that you'll have cooked in your IP? where are U finding the most useful Info?

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.