Author Topic: Celeste Fig Tree  (Read 176 times)

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Celeste Fig Tree
« on: May 12, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
I'm just starting to read up on Fig trees since I messed up last week at the produce auction and wound up bringing a Celeste Fig tree home.  I wasn't wanting a tree but when the auctioneer went from $30 down to $5 I bid just to get the bidding going the other direction.  It wound up the winning bid so now I have to figure out where to plant it.

Anyway, my reading is conflicted - I read that it is a compact tree and I read another article that said it gets enormous.  Clarification please on the actual size.  If it truly is a compact tree I can plant it not far from my other fruit trees.  I also have read that cold hardiness is iffy so am I wasting my time growing this thing in Zone 7?
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Celeste Fig Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
Where i live, which is sort of across the Miss. River from Natchez Miss, the Celeste Fig trees get to be BIG, my trees are now about 16 years old, i have pruned them back a couple times, right now they are about 20 or so ft in diameter, and about 12 to or so ft tall, I have 4 trees, they are loaded this year, in this area they ripen in July

I don't know where in Tenn, U live, If i were going to try and grow a fig tree that far north i would try and plant it in a protected area,

Do U know of anyone in your area that has a fig tree? I have a friend in KC Mo, and he tells me it to cold there to grow figs

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:33:49 PM »
In my circle of friends I'm the only one with fruit of any kind so no Fig knowledge.  I have a friend with the UT Extension office so I'll ask him.  I'm about 20 miles from the Alabama line but we do get down in the 20's occasionally in winter.  I'll re-pot it tomorrow since it's about 7' tall and root bound.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
There was a member on the forum before we lost the data base, I think fespo who lived in Chicago who had fig trees, but have not seen him post recently.  I think the person on the forum who is the fig tree guru is PawPaw Gene.  I am sure he could help you.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
I figure Gene will jump in at some point :)

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
Hi Mike and thanks Bob for the kudos. Mike my brother lives in Tullahoma and has 2 Celeste trees in his yard. Each year he cuts them down to around a foot from the ground and then covers them with a big pile of leaves. Each Spring they come back and produce figs. So that's one way to do it.

Another is to plant it in a large but movable pot. Train it to a single trunk and each winter roll in into a garage or shed especially one that shares a wall with the house. This will keep it alive all winter and in Spring you roll it back out. The tree should be able to take cold down to  near 20 degrees once it has matured a few seasons. In Spring you may have to move it in and out a few times until all freeze are past. Once the tree starts budding out it cannot take any freezes. If you go the pot route, every 3 or 4 years you have to root prune it and repot it with some frest soil. If you go this route I can give you some more tips to keep it healthy.
Good luick,
"gene"

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 07:08:06 AM »
Thanks Gene - Your brother is due east of us so his climate is ours also.  I think I'm going to include this tree in our sales booth.  :)