Author Topic: CANNING CARROTS  (Read 56 times)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
CANNING CARROTS
« on: November 13, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
So, my sister brings me a 50 lb. bag of raw carrots. And, I canned them up!
I have a video, but, I don't seem to be able to upload it...shoot... Thumbs down

How 'bout this? I got 16 pints from what I actually processed. A lot were damaged, and I had to wade through the bad ones to get to the good ones. It was 1:00 a.m. and I looked up and decided "enough was enough," LOL!

As I told ya'll, I'm honing my canning skills this season, as it's a good tool to have on my belt.

I ran into a couple issues, but, I'm confident with what I did.

First, canning on an electric stove is the pits, at least it is for me. With gas/propane, I can control the flame and heat much better. As it was, my gauge registered a consistent notch below the 10 lb. mark. If I raised the temp to get that extra notch, the giggler giggled forever, and never settled down. I'd read that too much steam would escape and run my canner dry. So, I settled on that one notch below the 10 lb mark. and will pray it was enough heat going on to kill the bacteria.

Secondly, I think I added too much water to the jars, as fully half of what I put in siphoned out. Not a big deal, except, carrots have a sugar content, and the siphoned sugar water might compromise my seals at some point. I'll check the jars regularly to make sure the seals are true.

Other than that, it was a joy to go through this process. Looking forward to doing it again.

My gardener girlfriend (she's a newbie) and I have a day of canning scheduled this week, and we're lining up our attack, LOL! I binge-watched so many canning videos, with soooooooooooooo many possibilities, I was driving myself silly!!! So, we've settled on canning the following:

►Beans: Red Kidney, Black-eyed Peas, Limas, Garbanzos, Black Beans, & Pintos

►Ham Hock Stock. I'll just add all my seasonings, boil the flavor outta some smoked ham hocks, strain the broth, gel it, pull the fat cap off, then reconstitute it and jar it up for the canner. It tastes amazing! And, it will make a wonderful ham soup base, as well as become the base for the Red Beans. Discovered there's no taste in the ham hock meat after the stock is done, so won't be canning that up again, LOL!

►Cranberry sauce several ways (smooth, whole berry, and relished). Check out BexarPrepper on Youtube - She has a slam dunk method for processing smooth and jellied cranberry from one batch -- brilliant!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

►Apple pie filling by imstillworking on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?.... I just picked up my apple peeler this week! So excited!!! Gotta find cranberries and apples in bulk.

And, finally, I hope to get some chicken legs raw packed in some "Better Than Bullion" broth. I think that'll round out the list. Looking forward to grabbing a jar of chicken legs off the shelf, too!

These are exciting times!

Hugs!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: CANNING CARROTS
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »
I use imstillworkin's apple pie filling recipe. It is fantastic.!

I freeze my carrots

50lb bag of carrots to deal with all at once with my chronic back pain would not be a fun project.

I applaud your efforts.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
Ooooooooooooooh Maggie!!!

Do you use the Granny Smith's like she does?  I'm not much on tart apples, so, I thought I'd slip in a couple Galas.  I'll use a majority of the GSs for their firmess, though.

I bought two cases of 1/2 gallon Ball canning jars before I found out they aren't recommended for canning.  So, this past weekend, I put all the Clear Gel and ThermFlo I had ordered upon Susan's recommendation in those jars. 

She says they last forever on the shelf, so, kinda glad for the jars!

Do you make your own pie crusts? And, finally, have you ever made the fried pies or turnovers?

So glad to know you follow her, too!  I'm cutting my canning teeth on her vids, and so glad I found her first.  There are some mighty strange canner vids out there, LOL!

Regarding the carrots, I was on my feet for two evenings during that process.  Once my back pain kicks in, and that's all she wrote.  Which is why I looked at the remainder of that bag of carrots, and called it quits.  Compost fertilizer.

As it was, I ended up on muscle relaxers for the next two days after that canning session.  I've got to approach the process in smaller components, especially the prep work.  We're scheduled to start this weekend, LOL, and I'm getting as much as I can prepped ahead of time, so I won't be on my feet the whole time.

Hugs!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:10:20 PM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »

No I  do not use Granny Smith apples.
 I use apples from  my trees They are very old trees and I am not sure of the variety but they make a very nice pie.

No I have not tried her hand pies but.....
 I have  "Pie Irons" and will make small pies over the campfire or wood stove or they can be used on the kitchen range.

I also make little apple pie bites with a mini muffin pan

Yes I do make my own pie crust I use Crisco not lard.
Sometimes in a pinch I will use buttered bread for the crust in the pie irons.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
That pie is gorgeous!!!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks for the comeback!