Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by Gymgirl on Today at 09:35:50 AM »
Back slipped yesterday.  Couldn't move without excruciating pain.  LOTS of muscle relaxers.  By late last evening, I could stand up and hold the hose on my raised beds.

I also managed to sit on the sides of the raised beet beds and space out the clumps.  I dug them up first, separated them, and spread them out to empty spaces.  It was just like transplanting indoor seedlings out.  Peeped out this morning, and they're all standing up, so, I guess the surgery went well, LOL!

Lettuce, beets, and kale are all up in the raised bed I seeded last weekend.  Wasn't sure how that was gonna work out, because, even though I amended the bed with the peat, sifted compost and Black Kow, I totally forgot to throw some compost to cover the seeds!  I had the carrot seeds on my mind, cuz, they don't need to be covered.

Speaking of which, the soil in RB #7 was trying to crust over like it did when I had that problem for the first time last year.  Sure hope those carrot seeds make it.  I watered the bed really, really well, and, hopefully, it'll soak up the water and soften the crust so the carrots can germinate.  If not, I'll be reseeding, and being more diligent about keeping that bed moist.

If I can stand up later, I need to rake out some weeds...or not...
General Discussion / Re: Cucumbers not needing pollinators
« Last post by Ben on Today at 09:24:53 AM »
Jimmyc     Interesting, a little pricey but also noted Disease Resistance Key: PM: Powdery Mildew, CVYV: Cucumber Vein Yellows Virus

Looks worth trying,

Ben
General Discussion / Re: Free tomato cages and drip hose
« Last post by tangentalstorm on Today at 09:05:00 AM »
This is how messed up in the head I am... I saw this and thought "Man I wish lived closer." then got to thinking I probably have over 100 already and only use maybe half of those...*smh*....LOL

I've been over here too long....lol
General Discussion / Cucumbers not needing pollinators
« Last post by jimmiec on Today at 08:28:35 AM »
Never knew there were cucumber varieties that fruit without the need of a pollinator.  https://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-manny-f1-cucumber-a.html
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by PawPaw gene on Today at 07:11:09 AM »
Tilled my small garden, ready to plant snapbeans. Oh so tempting.
"gene"
Happy Hour / Re: Whats for supper ?
« Last post by Tazzy Turfer on Today at 03:36:36 AM »
G'day All,
Tonight I did a Beef Stroganoff with boiled Rice washed down with a sugar free creaming soda.
         Regards Pete
Happy Hour / Re: Whats for supper ?
« Last post by crazyhorse on Today at 03:02:49 AM »
Baked chicken,
tater salad,
red ripper peas,
real cornbread,
pickled beets,
Diet Pepsi & sweet tater.
Tools and Equipment / Re: Sow Perfect Seeder
« Last post by Bcorley on Today at 12:44:42 AM »
Those really look neat, especially for anyone using flats to start lots of seedlings.  Betcha it will come in handy.  I ordered an item the other day called the Super Seeder.  Its a little german item (totally plastic) with a metal handle.  It has two plastic drive wheels and plastic seed plates.  The whole shebang weighs less than 5 lbs.  I'm gonna use it for onion seed and carrot seed.  I usually only plant a row each in the garden.  The thing is supposed to meter seed (4 spacings) and leaves the furrow open so you can see that seed actually fell and are spaced correctly.  I figured what the devil, it's only 35 bucks or so and that won't break me.  Most everything else I plant involves some volume and I can use the Covington with the drill. 
Happy Hour / Re: Got any interesting news?
« Last post by crazyhorse on February 18, 2018, 10:20:12 PM »
Mrs Crazyhorse has not tried this yet , so don't know for sure if it works or not.

"Hardly any effort at all to wipe it out.
 If your interested here is the ingredients:
HOMEMADE OVEN CLEANER
 1/4 cup dish soap
 1/2 cup lemon juice
 1 cup vinegar
 1  cup water
 Shake gently to combine ingredients, spray in your stove. Let sit for a little bit , wipe everything out and voila, a brand new looking stove!!!!!"
The Greenhouse / Re: Greenhouse growing fall 2017 thru spring 2018
« Last post by bobcatgardener on February 18, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
Chip in so have to take it down. It's it's 34 wide so I will have to take it all the way down. My trailer is only 22 feet long. But it will be fun putting it back together.
We still have things to do in the other GH to get it finished. So this will prob be ready for fall / winter crop.
They did not throw the cement raised bed in with it. They do know where there are some for cheap... but a crane is needed to lift and place them... so that leave me out on those.
It is big, but standing in it if feels like it needs to be bigger. I know it's just cuz nothing is in it right now.
It will almost certainly be hydroponic. Pops likes just filling the sumps and not having to pull grass.

Maggie it will be alot of space. If I figured right it will be around 400 buckets.
We will use the other one for strawberries and leafy greens. Will end up with most of it in downspout runs at some point and when it warms up back to the maters and cucumbers.

It's gonna be some fun in it with the kids and neighbor kids and everyone.

We planted potatoes a couple weeks back in the compost pile. Neighbor hood kids helped. They are pumped up when they started to come up and are excited about how green they are! They can't wait to pull the potatoes and eat them!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10