Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Greenhouse / Re: Greenhouse hydroponic growing Fall 2018
« Last post by bobcatgardener on Today at 06:52:39 PM »

Tools and Equipment / Re: Tiller Reccomendation
« Last post by Boudin on Today at 04:44:49 PM »
Thank ya'll very much.  Now I have some ideas of what to look for.
My brother in law has a tractor with a set of disks, so I figured I'd get him to come make a few passes with those, and then I can take over with the tiller.
Hopefully we have a little drier weather on the way, everything is a muddy mess now.
General Discussion / Re: Soil test results advise
« Last post by Ben on Today at 01:38:27 PM »
Hi Dwight-- the addition of the 2.40 pounds of ammonium  nitrate per 100 sq. ft. as recommended by your soil test  should lower your PH some.  The mustard greens and collards would appreciate a little extra nitrogen, not so much for the beans as they will make their own nitrogen if you have the right bacteria in the soil.  Tomatoes need some nitrogen but too much will have a lot of growth with not much fruit.

You can also sprinkle with cottonseed meal.

Ben
General Discussion / Soil test results advise
« Last post by Dwight Hebert on Today at 12:08:38 PM »
I bought a yard of top soil last year and added part of it to one of my beds.  The 10 ft bed is a mixture of the previous contents, the new top soil, organic soil amendment, alfalfa pellets and Micro-life fertilizer.  After the bed had set for several weeks I sent soil samples of both the un-amended(new) and 10 ft bed soil to LSU Ag center for a soil test.  The results are attached below. Can anyone offer advice on how I can lower the pH without adding sulphur which is already too high?  What can I do to mitigate the excess calcium and magnesium?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I know that the calcium and magnesium will eventually leach out but what effects will it have in the meantime.  I plan on planting beans and tomatoes in the bed this spring. Right now I have mustard greens, collards and dollar weed which are doing very well.
« Last post by Ragun Gardener on Today at 10:31:19 AM »
I'm with Double B!!

If you have to money to spend a BCS is the way to go and you can buy almost any attachment for it but if you want something that will last then buy an old Troybuilt. Both are basically a small tractor that pulls itself and makes tilling easy. I have a Troybuilt Horse and it does all the work of stopping the tiller from running away from you and it pulls it self down the row so easy that I can usually just walk on the side of the row I'm tilling and guide it with one hand.

Here's the model I'm referring to. Check Craigslist as they usually come up for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/i/332993181602?chn=ps

« Last post by Double B on Today at 06:18:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Lots of advice and knowledge here and most of it is from the school of hard knocks.

Depending on your mechanical ability, I would look on Craigslist, Thrifty Nickel, Greensheet and others for a used Troybuilt horse. The older ones in good shape are worth the wait and should serve you well. If money is of little consequence to you, a BCS is a super choice. Another option is to check your local rental places. Ours here sells their used equipment and ours carries the Honda tiller which is about $2,400 new but can be had for half of that used with few hours on it.

Sorry to be long winded but if you are breaking new ground I would barter someone with a tractor/tiller to break it up for you and the walk behind work will come substantially easier. Whichever way you choose to go, please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

All our best,
Double B
« Last post by Maggie13 on Today at 05:43:26 AM »
We have an electric start Husqvarna ( I think we bought it in 2007 ).
  I can't remember the model number right now. It is a beast.
« Last post by Boudin on January 21, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
This place has never been broken up that Iím aware of, and is covered in grass so Iím sure itís going to be a bear.  Thanks for that advice.  Iíll be earning my vegetables this year for sure.
General Discussion / Re: Compost Tea Question
« Last post by Lance on January 21, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
As hard as it is to make, I say hold on to it and use when plants are established. Run off is a an issue.  Keep it "fed" and wait. Bring in manures and sand, good fill, and composted wood chios. Or better yet send it to me . Address can be provided.
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by Lance on January 21, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »
Been  missing  forum- I planted some potatoes  and pulling carrots - I would like to see photos of other carrot harvest! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10