Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 245937 times)

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #2540 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
 I fertilized my asparagus bed today.  I burned it last Friday to remove the old dead ferns.  I also fertilized the bed where my taters are going in on Valentine's Day as will as the two raised beds with the kale, lettuce and Bok Choi.  Tomorrow the 30'X35' garden with turnips and Florida Broadleaf Mustards will get a lesser dose of 8-8-8. 
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
I spent yesterday in the garden for the first time since last summer.  Didn't plant a fall/winter garden, because I was concentrating on clearing out my freezers.  I've been canning/dehydrating everything in sight, and loving it!

Fortunately, for some strange reason, my raised beds never get more weeds than I can handle in 10-15 minutes -- in the entire yard!  I had weeded everything the week after New Year's, and prepped and planted the first two beds with Beets.  I love beets, and want enough to can for the year.  The beets are about 3" tall, and, I'm about to thin the bed.  Gonna split up some clumps and replant them into some bare areas of the same beds.

Anyway, I worked like a dog yesterday, prepping three more beds. Managed to weed everything in 10 minutes.  The hard part was hauling ingredients and mixing up more planting material to top off the beds that had shrunk down a bit.  I mixed equal parts of Sphagnum Peat (those bales weight about 60 lbs. each), my sifted homemade compost, and Black Kow Composted Cow manure (50 lb. bags).  And, I was using a wheelbarrow with a flat tire, duh...

I used my garden fork to break the surface and incorporate the mix.  Kept thinking I should go rent the tiller at HD, but, I was running into too many HUGE earthworms in the beds.  And, I LOVE my earthworms.  So, I did everything with manual labor, and, I am SORE today!  Haven't moved these muscles since last summer.  But, it feels good, nonetheless, to look out the window and see the beds ready to go!

Stopped by our community garden, and they're in full swing.  Found out I still have time to plant a very late spring garden with some quick stuff like more beets, radishes, carrots, spinach (hoping it stays cold long enough - the local weather man is giving me hope...), kale, and lettuce.  I'll start throwing those seeds this evening, and finish prepping and seeding the last bed, and all the Earthboxes this weekend.

Sure felt good to be out in the yard!

Hugs, Ya'll!  :-* :-* :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 09, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
the rows are 55'--set out two rows of candy red---sowed a row bed of turnips

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
What's in this picture? Is that dry dirt?

Lucky you missed the rain..

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: February 09, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Its been so long since we saw dry ground I hardly remember what it looked like. You have the rest of us very envious Mr. Monroe. Hopefully it will dry out down here one day. They say the bottom should fall out again tomorrow  >:( >:( >:(
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:53 PM »
Same here DB but I checked the 15 day forecast and the lowest temp I saw was 40's. Spring is coming so start getting ready to plant.

I just went check ground temps, 5" down is 59 and 12" is 55. I checked a raised row and it's 60. Hope is in the air!!!!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
we recently had a good rain, the soil has just about the right amount of moisture to work good--didn't do much the rows are in good shape
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 10, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
Finally was able to get out there to play in the mud.  Was able to pull the remaining carrots (great diner and salads to come) and brussel sprouts.  Prepped 2 beds (each 4'x20') similar to the fall beds (worked pretty good) which included: cut residual plants of at soil level, cottonseed meal, Mighty Grow 4-3-4 (organic pellet fertilizer), broadfork (great workout), and rake level.  Made 2 rows with 5" deep furrow, spread more 4-3-4 into furrow, and planted La Soda and Caribe potatoes (green sprouted).  Additionally, planted LA Soda, Carribe, and Praire Blush into 3 separate 25-gallon fabric containers in hopes of using these as seed potatoes in the fall or next spring.  Still need to get the carrots transplanted but I at least have one bed ready for an early planting of tomatoes and a bed ready for beans in March. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:23:17 AM by jimmiec »
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 10, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
Jimmiec   I tried transplanting carrots a couple of seasons ago, but it seemed like a lot of work for little results.  Iím not having much luck this year so I might try again. What size do you transplant at?

Online jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Dwight, this set of carrots are 22 and 41 days old with 2 to 4 set of true leaves that hopefully will get transplanted Sunday or Monday, depending on rain.  In the fall (41 days at transplant), it did seem like the smaller ones died but was not sure if due to heat (10/17).  All done in 72 cell trays.  I would like to start them outside but no space in the beds at the time of starting seeds and so easy to start them indoor, especially since everything is set up already and running for the tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers.  I'm going to try transplanting them with a PVC pipe.  Most of the time I just use a dibbler and pop the transplant in.  Wish I had a paperpot transplant but...  I was thinking of building a cheap cart with a wheel base of 5' wide that I could kneel on in the center of the cart and could push my self down the bed as I plant out the bed.  The best would be to breakdown and make 2' wide beds and follow the pros.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:23:28 AM by jimmiec »
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: February 11, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »
Harvested one of my Savoy cabbages. We're using half for cole slaw with Deb's fried chicken today and  using the other half for cabbage and lima bean soap Tuesday.

Planted 12 Georgia collard sets in a 4X4 bed.  This is the farthest apart I've ever planted collards. We'll see how it works.

Cleaned out the purple lettuce that died in the freeze last month and planted purple romaine lettuce in its place. 

Everything is so soggy and full of weeds it'll be weeks before I can work any of my beds.  I'm thinking seriously about putting straw bails in the beds and planting in them this year.  Only problem is that all I have been able to find in the Lake Charles area are hay bails which I've found hard to use.

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 11, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Jimmiec   I'm going to break down and make a dibbler this year if I can find a suitable hardwood handle in all of the junk I have piled up in the carport and storeroom.  If I do to much digging around in the carport my wife may come out and make me clean up the carport and storeroom.  I'd rather be gardening:) I've been using a tomato stake but the dirt sticks on it.

I'm soaking some carrot seed now and will plant them in a 36 cell tray and see if I can get some carrots this year.  I hope it's not too late in the season. 

Offline Wosiewose

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 11, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
Watched the snow coming down and blanketing everything..........  :P  It was 16 deg F so we stayed by the fire, ate soup out of the crockpot, re-watched a bunch of Donald's videos, and studied up on cover crops for spring.  When it warms up again I plan to hit all the wooden garden tool handles with some linseed oil...

Wosiewose
Zone 5b, Wheat Ridge, CO
1/3 acre; John Deere 210; Planet Jr. wheel hoe; and of course the indispensable Hooke & Crooke Heron and Honeybee  :)
1 awesome hubby, 2 cute cuddly little black cats, and - in our first winter now - a hive of bees!

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
Sowed two full beds of #carrots.  One bed was with seeds I saved from a single carrot last year.  Hoping it wasn't a hybrid, and, that I saved seeds from the right carrot -- it was the sweetest carrot I've ever eaten in my life!

Sowed another bed with #Buttercrunch Lettuce, more #Beets, and #Kale.  This bed is under the overhang, and stays moist straight down the middle of the bed.  Hopefully, the new residents will like the moisture.  I pulled almost 15 grub worms from the dryer end of this bed, as I was turning it over.  They didn't congregate on the wetter end...no matter...they became bird food...
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline farmboy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
I also planted what are considered cool/cold weather seeds. The sun is just now getting high enough in the sky to give some sunshine to my raised beds. They are on the north side of my two story house so sunlight is a problem most of the year. I have given up on trying to grow anything from about Oct - Feb. Here is what I planted. We will see: Carrots, beets, chard, leek, potatoes, several varieties of lettuce, spinach, turnips, radishes, collards.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:05 AM »
Well, Feb 14 ususually my potato planting day but it ain't going to happen this year.  Still too wet can't get in there with the tractor.  Need a couple of sunny days but none in the forecast. Going to be late this year.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
Went out to check my stuff and waded down the muddy rows. Cut a couple heads of cauliflower and the broccoli is ready so I'll cut most of it tomorrow. Pulled some clover away from the onions and they seem to be growing in spite of sitting in mud for a couple of months.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 16, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
Got my taters planted today, 3 90' rows Red Lasota.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 18, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
Cut some broccoli for the wife's broccoli and cauliflower salad. 73 degrees and sunny right now but that could change at anytime  :o :o :o

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: Today at 07:11:09 AM »
Tilled my small garden, ready to plant snapbeans. Oh so tempting.
"gene"