Author Topic: Lets talk Mowers  (Read 24641 times)

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
Re: Lets talk Mowers
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
AllisCA: I like your reasoning. I wished I got even 1000 hours from a gasoline mower but the two that I had, one even with a replacement engine never got there. My math tells me that it costs me $5.00/ hr to use my machine if I depreciated my mower to $0.00 today. I figure it will last the rest of my life and I can give it to my grandkids when I pass. No engine problems to date and it gets a new battery every 8-10 years. My bulk tank of diesel fuel handles the bigger tractor and the mower so I don't worry about fresh gasoline and ethanol problems. Cost of off road diesel beats the price of gasoline as well. At my stage every problem I don't have is a blessing. The same mowers at my former work place got over 6000 hrs on them. Its not a zero turn but the front deck is great and I need 4wd to get over my yard. It will turn around in 12 inches. The new model costs 3X what I paid for mine so long term ownership is practical.
Plows snow great too.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »
I just ordered a new Woods (PRD7200) 72” finishing mower for my tractor.  Not going to be nearly as fast as my Zero Turn but a heck of a lot smoother riding. 

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
I just ordered a new Woods (PRD7200) 72” finishing mower for my tractor.  Not going to be nearly as fast as my Zero Turn but a heck of a lot smoother riding. 

Donald

And a whole heck of a lot less dusty. That is the only complaint I have about a zero turn mower. You need a bath with a pressure washer when you get finished.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
I asked my best friend from back home that has been doing lawns for 25 years. He has run Hustler, Scag, Dixon, Dixie Chopper and some form of diesel. Exmark and Grasshopper are not popular down in central Florida for the commercial guys. He told me they all run pretty good with each having a plus and minus. Finding the best dealer was his advise. He likes Scag and the Hustler super Z for the cut and Dixie Chopper for the speed. I ended up with a Husqvarna MTZ-52 for a fuzz over 6k with taxes. It is a very nice mower and you can tell a huge difference between my old residential troy built. The Kawasaki engines are very smooth and I've had decent luck with a Kohler. I personally would stay away from a Briggs. They are not made like they used to be. That's my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
My last mower was the Kubota z125s, 10 gage welded deck, priced new under 6k, but the killer deal is 0 down,, 0% financing.. that made the deal an easy choice for me..
My mower of choice is a Grasshopper front deck and I can still kick my self in the butt for getting rid of my last one.. but prices new are 3 times that of the Bota..
All the machines people have been talking about are all great but price some like the Dixie chopper. you can buy new cars cheaper and for a home owner its totally over kill...

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
I cut almost 7 acres just about every week.  Won’t be able to cut all of it with the tractor, too many obstacles.  The zero turn will be used for the yard and around the buildings and trees.  The tractor with finishing mower will cut the rest.

The first Woods mower I bought was a RM550 almost 20 years ago, with the exception of a bad bearing it’s still in great condition.  Keeping it out the weather made a big difference.  The Woods PRD7200 I just ordered cuts 12 inches wider (6 feet) and is the commercial model.  I expect it will outlast me by many years.

Donald   
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
This is a Bush Hog 60" finish mower of which I've had very good service. I started out mowing about 4 acres a week but a little less than 2 now. I have a JD--D140 for close in mowing which isn't much. We bought the little tractor & equipment in 99 & so far there's 935 hours on it. My Son has a big JD ZTR & I couldn't resist asking what would happen if he suddenly had to
 scratch behind his ear while sailing along.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
My Son has a big JD ZTR & I couldn't resist asking what would happen if he suddenly had to
 scratch behind his ear while sailing along.
Monroe, my Super Z is so well set up even with the stick steering I mow with one hand most of the time. And if you take your hands off completely they simply stay put and you just go straight ahead.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
All these people talking about 4 and 7 acres of grass they cutting with finish mowers makes my toes cringe. Know how much livestock I could put on that much grass? A yard over an acre is a waste unless its all fenced in and has livestock  on it.  ;D ;D
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
I went to look at mowers again and think it's gonna be the Husler Raptor SD. It's a residential model but is made well. 24hp Kohler, the drives have a filter and are upgraded from the smaller residential models, fabricated deck, bigger tires than any in it's class, 3 year warranty with the 1st 2 years includes parts and labor then year 3 just includes labor and they will do free pick up and drop off service with a loaner mower.

While I was there I looked at the Super 104, YES 104" cut at 10mph will cut 84 acres in 8 hours, 37 HP v-twin fuel injected engine, the side wings will mow raised up to 15 degrees. This mower could be yours for a small fee of 24K
https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-104

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
I got 2 new hats and a Tshirt today, They have Hustler on them. I even got a key chain. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I bought the 54" Raptor SD, it's still considered a residential model but it's the top of the Raptor line.

I have a question for ya'll. They only had 1 model like this in stock and I checked 2 stores. It has an FR691 Kawasaki engine which is a 23HP instead of a Kohler 24HP like all the others but some smaller cut models had a Kohler 21HP. I looked around the net and found that Kawasaki didn't want there engines in big box stores in lower quality mowers instead of dealer only models. Then I read on another site that the Kawasaki engines were a $200 upgrade cost over the Kohler engines because a Kawasaki is actually a higher HP rating that's listed because of they way they rate them and if that wasn't enough I read that in 2014 Kawasaki couldn't keep up with demand for thier engines that were being installed in many models sold in big box stores.

It's like a soap opera just to buy a mower, what gives?

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Congrats on the hats and shirt. Glad they gave you a mower to go with them! I think you'll be very happy with the Kawasaki engine. I have a Kawasaki on a Scag Wildcat that has been flawless for 1000 hours.  Kohler could go either way, really. The commercial grade ones that I've been around are great. I've seen some of the low-end Kohlers give up after a few seasons. 

Congrats again and don't forget to post pics/video!

~~VG

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
My husqvarna MTZ-52 has a 22HP kawasaki on it and pulls the deck just fine. Like you, I had concerns about the lower HP vs. my old troy bilt zero turn with a 50 in deck. The troybilt had a 25HP kohler. My new Kawasaki runs a lot smother and more quiet. I am comparing residential to commercial but I still think it is better. It doesn't bog down at all like the old one did. Hustler makes a good mower and coupled with that engine it should run good and last for a long time. Keep the air cleaner clean, the oil changed and if it has fans on the hydro pumps, blow the trash out of them they will collect leaves and clippings. congrats

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
All these people talking about 4 and 7 acres of grass they cutting with finish mowers makes my toes cringe. Know how much livestock I could put on that much grass? A yard over an acre is a waste unless its all fenced in and has livestock  on it.  ;D ;D
Your invisioning a squared off area. Some people mow acres that are just around buildings and along drives and such.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »
They delivered the mower today, much to my surprise. They worked today to get Mardi Gras off. It's kinda bitter sweet since I'm a 24 year vet and a company in La won't give people off for Mardi Gras and they decide that this is the best holiday to swap it out with, Mardi Gras is a holiday in this state especially here. I hope all their kids are born naked, shame on them.

The sweet part is the mower, it's an animal compared to the Ikon 52. We had a crawfish boil planned so I thought I would just mow around the house but ended up cutting it all in less than 2 hours.

I'll post more about it later with a few pics.

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:22 PM »
I went to look at mowers again and think it's gonna be the Husler Raptor SD. It's a residential model but is made well. 24hp Kohler, the drives have a filter and are upgraded from the smaller residential models, fabricated deck, bigger tires than any in it's class, 3 year warranty with the 1st 2 years includes parts and labor then year 3 just includes labor and they will do free pick up and drop off service with a loaner mower.

While I was there I looked at the Super 104, YES 104" cut at 10mph will cut 84 acres in 8 hours, 37 HP v-twin fuel injected engine, the side wings will mow raised up to 15 degrees. This mower could be yours for a small fee of 24K
https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-104
Glad you got a good mower ~!~!  I looked yesterday at our EX Mark dealer he has one that went for 9 K and told me 6K I could have it. Commercial model and the extra warranty and such. Not bad for a local dealer. But I am a little late on telling you about it now ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
I looked at the Ex Mark, my buddy just became a dealer and we went through a few models but they were still pricey. Southland did have a 48" cut Toro zeroturn with the steering wheel marked 1/2 price. They said they ordered a bunch last year and it's the last one and wanted to move it. $1799 isn't a bad price compared to most.

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Good choice, I have the 48" Raptor SD with the Kawasaki engine.

Pull the black covers over the spindles off. If your deck is like mine (and it should be), the spindle mount is recessed below the top of the deck. With the covers on, you cannot clean out that pocket that collects grass.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
Your invisioning a squared off area. Some people mow acres that are just around buildings and along drives and such.

I'm envisioning Monroe's picture that shows a wide open area with some trees.  ;)
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
coastal Bermuda kept mowed does make a nice lawn, the trees provide good shade to sit under

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together