Author Topic: Allis Chalmers planter  (Read 490 times)

Offline CORVETTE62US

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Allis Chalmers planter
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
Anybody know how to fix a unit 71 planter.  It is ground driven. Has new ring and pinon and bushings. The ring and pinon won't mesh enough to make the ring gear turn the seed plate. Now What? 

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Allis Chalmers planter
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »
I know nothing of this planter, but worked on machinery most of my life.   I would start trouble shooting by lifting the planter off the ground enough that the wheel should turn freely.  Then roll the tire ( I am assuming that the tire is the drive unit for the planter) #1. I would roll the tire to see how much resistance there is an to see if you can find an spots that are binding.  The problem could be as simple as the replaced parts have been tighten to tight.  Don't force anything. #2  Do you have a maintenance manual ?   Good place to check first. #3  Look for obvious things wrong, like parts installed upside down or missing.   If none of these things are the problem then you will need to do some wrench work by following the maintenance manual on how to replace the plates an what ever else was done.   Upside is you will know heaps more about your planter. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
Corvette, You posted an Allis Chalmers planter but I thought the 71 was a John Deere planter. They are very popular and draw good prices. Diagrams should be available on line so you can compare how yours "fits" together compared to diagram. That might help you solve your problem.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline CORVETTE62US

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
Allis made a 71,72,73 and74 unit planter. They are driven by a wheel.  Similar to a John Deere.