Author Topic: advice needed to replace the bottom of my seed spreader  (Read 535 times)

Offline mphymel

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
advice needed to replace the bottom of my seed spreader
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
How y'all been?  I have not been on the forum in quite a while, hope everyone is well.
I am trying to rebuild my "Hollow" seed spreader. The piece holding the spinning plate came loose and it wrecked all the vanes, so I tried taking it apart to make things better and realized that the bottom was pretty rotten, so I got a local shop to plasma cutter to make a new bottom of 1/8th inch plate. Now I want to weld it to the bottom of the hopper. Here is my question:

I cut the bottom out, leaving about 3/8" flange from the edge where the flat bottom turns to the conic hopper. I can weld it on the inside, and come back on the outside and weld it, but if any fertizer ever made its way between the two beads, it would sit there and eat that metal till its hearts content. I could recut it closer to the edge of the flat bottom, and weld it there, but didnt know I would regret doing that.

What would y'all suggest? I guess i was thinking having an overlapping weld would be easier for a novice like me to make as opposed to having the thin metal of the hopper meeting the thick plate at an angle and having to weld that without blowing through it.

BTW, I have a Lincoln proMig135 125V ac wirefeed machine and I plan on using flux core wire not gas. Any advice is welcome!!

Mark

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: advice needed to replace the bottom of my seed spreader
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:46:05 AM »
I think your original idea of the larger flang is the better option.   Your going to have issues of melting the thin steel unless you turn your heat down, but then you risk not getting penetration on the thicker plate.  I can tell you from experience that the heat goes in the direction of the wire an if you can point the wire away from the thin an towards the thick you will have much better results.  Holes can be weld in but it takes time.  The easy way is to place either copper or brass under the hole an start at one point an just zap the trigger, an then wait until the metal cools (the glow of the weld is gone) an zap the trigger doing the same wait.  Once you start to get a little weld built up it goes a little faster.  The copper or brass helps to control the heat, an the weld will not stick to it.  You will have to grind down the excess but the hole will be gone.  You could place the copper or brass on the inside cause that side will be smooth.   I would recommend only spot welding on both sides an then using a good grade of caulk to fill any areas where fertilizer might get into.   There might be someone on here that has experience with fiberglass an you might consider glassing the inside once you get the plate welded in.  Feel free to pm me an I will give you my phone number so I can talk you through the welding.  I welded junk metal art for years an welding thin to thick was a big part of my welding.  In hope this makes sense.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »
MPHYMET, I agree with gopherbroke. Instead of caulk on the inside after tacking it use JB-Weld to fill the cracks in the inside surface.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline mphymel

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
wow, thanks for posting, never thought of stitch welding and filling it, but I can do that. I did do some fiberglass work when I was a kid, glassed the seat pan of my old Honda 110 three wheeler (remember those?) and got it stiff enough to replace the cushion and used the back of a vinyl couch as a cover, came out good.

I actually considered glassing the inside of it to hold down on the corrosion anyway.

Glad I didnt cut it anymore, this sounds like a plan.