Author Topic: Tiller Reccomendation  (Read 771 times)

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Tiller Reccomendation
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:21:08 PM »
Howdy folks.  This is my first post on here, so hello to everybody.  I appreciate ya'll having me.

I've been raised bed gardening for the last 7 years, but with all the stuff I want to grow, I'm out of real estate. 
I'm ripping out my beds and putting an in-ground garden in place.  It will be 50ish feet long by 30ish feet wide.  I need to get myself a tiller and I'm wondering if any of you have a walk behind that you love and would recommend, or just as good, one that you hate and would warn me not to get...lol

Thanks a bunch.

B
Watson La. 8B

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Re: Tiller Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
I'm not going to recommend a tiller but I will suggest that you get a plow for it.. if the dirt is hard you can use the plow to hold the tiller in place instead of pulling you across the field..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
This place has never been broken up that Iím aware of, and is covered in grass so Iím sure itís going to be a bear.  Thanks for that advice.  Iíll be earning my vegetables this year for sure.
Watson La. 8B

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:43:26 AM »
We have an electric start Husqvarna ( I think we bought it in 2007 ).
  I can't remember the model number right now. It is a beast.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:18:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Lots of advice and knowledge here and most of it is from the school of hard knocks.

Depending on your mechanical ability, I would look on Craigslist, Thrifty Nickel, Greensheet and others for a used Troybuilt horse. The older ones in good shape are worth the wait and should serve you well. If money is of little consequence to you, a BCS is a super choice. Another option is to check your local rental places. Ours here sells their used equipment and ours carries the Honda tiller which is about $2,400 new but can be had for half of that used with few hours on it.

Sorry to be long winded but if you are breaking new ground I would barter someone with a tractor/tiller to break it up for you and the walk behind work will come substantially easier. Whichever way you choose to go, please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

All our best,
Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm with Double B!!

If you have to money to spend a BCS is the way to go and you can buy almost any attachment for it but if you want something that will last then buy an old Troybuilt. Both are basically a small tractor that pulls itself and makes tilling easy. I have a Troybuilt Horse and it does all the work of stopping the tiller from running away from you and it pulls it self down the row so easy that I can usually just walk on the side of the row I'm tilling and guide it with one hand.

Here's the model I'm referring to. Check Craigslist as they usually come up for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/i/332993181602?chn=ps

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
Thank ya'll very much.  Now I have some ideas of what to look for.
My brother in law has a tractor with a set of disks, so I figured I'd get him to come make a few passes with those, and then I can take over with the tiller.
Hopefully we have a little drier weather on the way, everything is a muddy mess now.
Watson La. 8B

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
Do not let anyone talk you into a front tine tiller. It will beat you to death. I second the Old Troybilt Horse. It is heave and will plow your area without pausing to take a breath. It also has some add ons like a row maker. Look at craigslist. Do not purchase a new one you want the old one. replacement tines are found on Amazon or Craigslist.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline BigOlButtaBean

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
I have a massive old john deere tiller that I like as much as my troybuilt, at least for large areas. Take four strong men, a mule and a small crane to load in a truck, though.

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:13 PM »
Sorry Guys, what's a BCS????  :-[
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »
NIIIIIIICE!!! Bet that baby is expensive!  ;D
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:09:44 AM »
Very expensive and overkill for your size garden unless you later plan to double or triple the size in the future. If you can purchase an old Troybilt Horse in good condition you will be able to resell it in 2 or 3 years for the same money or maybe a bit more depending on initial cost. I have run over standing corn stalks and by second pass they were all tilled in. As I said previously stick with a rear tine tiller and a heavy one as it will not jar and beat you to death. Keep us posted as thinking out loud and this type of discussion helps us all.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
I can't tell you what you should buy, but I can tell you what NOT to buy.  I have a Huskee sort of like this:
https://ebth-com-production.imgix.net/2016/10/07/10/18/44/7d4ce0dd-a1fb-4356-98c4-91f588ab48f9/DSC_0080.JPG?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=880&h=880&fit=crop&crop=&auto=format

The tiller is top heavy and wants to tip over.  If you are tilling ground, it wants to wander into the tilled aree.  It's very difficult to get it to stay in the un-tilled part of the row.

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »
Whatever tiller you get, the work is in building the rows! I have used a front tine tiller for years, they all till good.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:56:58 PM by Davidx357 »

Offline gssixgun

• Grasshopper
  • At this moment in time ...
    • View Profile
    • GemStar Custom Razors
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »
I just did the Small Garden on Tuesday we finally dried out enough

I bought this Craftsman off Craigslist for $180 I tuned it and dropped all the fluids 4 years ago haven't had an issue since

The small garden is 25x20 right now.. I used the Kubota with a Middle Buster to break in the area at first 5 years ago and did Raised beds over Cardboard the first year..

The second year we Tilled all that into the native soil, I don't know about you but to me, the Vegis just taste better in native soil..

We have been working the soil for the last 4 years using the tiller in the spring, to turn in Manure and compost. This year I am trying some low hoop tunnels to extend our Zone 4 growing season

Anyway back to the Tiller, I wanted a Rear Tine but I just couldn't see the cost of one, I would have been more apt to spend real $$$ on a 72" PTO for the tractor instead..

The front tine does require some muscle to run BUT it also allows me to REALLY bear down and dig deeper should I want..

Zone 5b
Kubota L3600DT, FEL, Middlebuster, BoxBlade, BackBlade, SnowBlower, BucketForks, PatsEasyHitch
Polaris Ranger 570
20+acres