Author Topic: Peach Tree maturity .  (Read 2107 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Peach Tree maturity .
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
    Is there a rule of thumb on how many days from blooming to eating a good peach ?

Rick

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Peach Tree maturity .
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »
  My bad , I was talking peach maturity .

Rick

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
Depending of variety, 100 to 120 days if I done my cypherin right.
Zone 6a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:24:55 PM »
well, my june drop is about 2 weeks early, but i found a bunch of little peaches in the yard.  there are some left, so hopefully they will get nice and big and I can get to them before the birds or the bugs.

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:21:31 AM »
    Woodchip..........  What do you mean by '' drop ''  . This is the first time for me and peaches .Still trying to learn.

Rick

woodchip gardener

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »
hi rick.  your peach tree blooms and sets on a bunch of baby peaches.  the tree knows it can't support that many peaches and get them all to the point where they would reach maturity.  generally around mid may to mid june, most peach trees do what is called 'june drop'.  it will drop a bunch of the little peaches.  you will go out over a couple of days and see a bunch of your little peaches on the ground.  it is a little bit heartbreaking...but will let the ones the trees held on to have a better chance.   the tree does this as a part of it's natural cycle.  last year mine was right around june so it is a little early this year for me.  it might have been the warmer summer/spring. 

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »
Woodchip, What variety do you have? Mine are Red Haven and I don't get much of a June drop. I generally have to go out and hand thin them.
Zone 6a

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:53:28 PM »
I have several varieties but don't see much if any drop but I thin them in early spring just after the fruit starts filling out.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

woodchip gardener

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »
hi hunter.  i have no idea.  this is a fully mature tree that was already here when we moved in.  it  has dropped peaches every year around this time so far.

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
First year with peaches on the tree (tropic snow white) .  I had pruned may be half of them off awhile a go.  Today the tree is starting to drop peaches like you mentioned woodchip gardner.  The dropped peaches are a little soft so I ate one.  It was pretty much like they decripbed online - juicy, mildly aromatic and has a bright flavor that is sweet and a slightly tart.  I was thinking I still had abotu 3 weeks left before harvesting.  Are the peaches just about ripe and ready to pick then?

I forgot to document when the tree budded.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.