Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Blueberries
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
As I took the trash down to the road on the unit this morning, I rode by and dumped the rain gauge. After that I circled by the raised bed with the blueberries in it and noticed some ripe ones. I was amazed that the mockingbirds have not found them yet as they went wild over them last year. My hope is that I can pick them off the plants each day and my wife and I can actually enjoy them ourselves. The bushes are loaded with berries and this is only their second year.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Yes it's time to start picking.  I have my bushes growing along the west side of my garage and let them get too tall according to everything I read.  However, the birds are welcome to those I can't reach and we all get plenty.  I don't see birds low in the bushes but it may have something to do with having a surplus of cats.  I did see a black snake hanging out near the top once.  I think he was hoping to ambush a mocking bird.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline alwaystj9

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
Awesome berries at my place this year: best and most in a while. We fixed blueberrry oatmeal at work this morning...
USDA Zone 8B/9A

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
We also got lots of blue berries.. I just planted them winter last year.. lost 2 of the 8 plants and I think i'm going to change the types once I replant them in the fall... first time I've ever dealt with them but they are nice.. had them In a fruit salad the last holiday...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:32:39 PM by Zook »

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »
I only have four bushes and this is their second year but I am having a good harvest. I get a few cups full every day or two. I also eat a bunch of them before they make it back inside ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline saute86

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9 Lake Charles,LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
I picked about a 1/2 gallon today. I ate a bunch while picking and made a cobbler with the rest. Next week will be a good harvest as long as the birds stay out of them.
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, gardening and foraging mushrooms.
I have 27 years experience as a chef.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
TJ I love the blueberries in my oatmeal. I don't have any trees of my own but go to a U-Pick farm north of Covinton La.to get mine. We usually pick around 5 gallons and freeze them. The grandkids love them with oatmeal too or just as a frozen snack. As the grandkids get older we see less and less of them and so I need fewer blueberries. So I have enough left over from last year to carry me through this one. Not only are the berries good and healthy, but picking them is also fun.
"gene"

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »
I picked a little over a quart of them this morning. I also ate about a half a pint while doing it. The only problem was that I had to wade water up to my ankles and swat mosquitos the whole time doing it. That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
Got these this morning to give to a friend..